Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The Voracity tuning thread

The rest of the parts came.
    Leopard 4082 2000kv 5s X642
    Seaking 180 v2
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice. Does the Leopard fit in the standard engine mount?

Why 2000 kV and not 1400? Which prop do you use and which top speed do you expect with this setup?

if he runs that on 6s I would say 70

It says 5s in his disxription but 6s should be possible i assume?

the Leopard fit just fine.
    That's the same motor and esc I have in my genesis.
    I run that on 5s and its plenty fast. I ran it on 6s once
    and turned into a airplane....lol
    octura X642 on both. I will probably try a X645 on the voracity
    once the weather gets a little better i'll try it on 5s and 6s with
    different props.

Cool, i'm interested what will be the best setup. Could you explain difference and your choice for 4082 and not 4092? And 2000 kV and not 1450? I am a newbie so still learning.. Thx

I had the 4082 on hand.
    If I to buy a motor I would have bought the 4092 1730kv
    or the 4082 1800kv the boat is so light that I didn't feel
    the need for a lower kv motor and higher voltage.

If the kV is the same als the standard engine, Will it be any faster?

if you use the same kv motor it wont be faster.
    you would have to buy a bigger esc and
    increase the voltage to go faster.

Not necessarily true. If the motor put in place of the original has more power even though it's the same kv, it can turn the prop faster. I'll give you an example. I have a 37" cat with a good bit more powerful motor and almost the same kv (1640) and it goes 80mph on 6s. Same prop I used on my voracity I went 58 on 6s. The voracity motor is 1650kv. This cat I'm talking about weighs a lot more than my voracity. I know a cat is more efficient but I've seen only about a 7-8mph difference between two similar sized cat vs mono hulls with the same setups in them on the same voltage with the same props. 1500kv (again more powerful motor than the stock motor) with the same prop again (I like the 1915 abc) on 6s in my kbb34 mono (much heavier than a voracity) went 70. Just some examples of how the kv doesn't alway dictate your speed. I always like to over motor a lot of my setups because I don't have to turn as much rpm and it doesn't stress electronics as much.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Revoltrunner, great looking boat you got there. Glad to see people building up the hulls from scratch. BTW, the stock prop is a x645 equivalent.

Voracity, I'd stay with a x4 or x6 series prop and stay away from props with a high rake. If you change to a stinger like he has, then it wont matter because you can dial in some negative to make up for props with a higher rake. You can always go larger on the prop if you can detongue it or even detongue it and cut it back. That should lessen the load, but give you plenty of push to get the speeds you want.

As far as the motors of different brands, and same KV having the same output, the Leopard is a 4 pole motor which will have more RPM than a 6 pole motor. This is because the 6 pole motor requires more power to break the magnetic field of the rotor to get it going, and keep it spinning. On the bench, a 4 pole motor will draw less amperage (usually) than a 6 pole, but the 6 pole will create more torque which will require less amperage when loaded up with the same prop as a 4 pole. I hope that makes sense.
    Rafael Lopez
    Product Developer-Pro Boat
    My Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010183246751

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez View Post
    Revoltrunner, great looking boat you got there. Glad to see people building up the hulls from scratch. BTW, the stock prop is a x645 equivalent.

Voracity, I'd stay with a x4 or x6 series prop and stay away from props with a high rake. If you change to a stinger like he has, then it wont matter because you can dial in some negative to make up for props with a higher rake. You can always go larger on the prop if you can detongue it or even detongue it and cut it back. That should lessen the load, but give you plenty of push to get the speeds you want.

As far as the motors of different brands, and same KV having the same output, the Leopard is a 4 pole motor which will have more RPM than a 6 pole motor. This is because the 6 pole motor requires more power to break the magnetic field of the rotor to get it going, and keep it spinning. On the bench, a 4 pole motor will draw less amperage (usually) than a 6 pole, but the 6 pole will create more torque which will require less amperage when loaded up with the same prop as a 4 pole. I hope that makes sense.
    Why stay away from props with high rake? I run a abc 1915 with 17 rake. I got 62mph with the stock motor. I have had good success with this prop. Would I get better results with another prop

I didn't get the results I was looking for with props that had high rake, during testing. The boat is a bit loose as it is and the narrower thrust come of the higher take prop tens to make the boat run even more dry than it already does. In sure one could tune it out with the little adjustment in the strut and by adjusting the trim tabs, Or even by running the batteries further forward. I guess my opinion is based on running more of a neutral setup.

You say you run the stock motor, do you still run the stock ESC? Any adjustments to the strut or trim tabs?

Let me edit and say that high rake props work well for SAW runs but tend to push too much in the turns, which is why I felt a high rake prop didn't fit the boat well as a RTR. I needed a lifter prop that provided good speed both in a straight line and in a course.
    Last edited by Rafael_Lopez; 02-04-2016 at 11:59 PM.
    Rafael Lopez

Quote Originally Posted by Voracity View Post
    If the kV is the same als the standard engine, Will it be any faster?
    Yes, but it depends on what motor you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Not necessarily true. If the motor put in place of the original has more power even though it's the same kv, it can turn the prop faster. I'll give you an example. I have a 37" cat with a good bit more powerful motor and almost the same kv (1640) and it goes 80mph on 6s. Same prop I used on my voracity I went 58 on 6s. The voracity motor is 1650kv. This cat I'm talking about weighs a lot more than my voracity. I know a cat is more efficient but I've seen only about a 7-8mph difference between two similar sized cat vs mono hulls with the same setups in them on the same voltage with the same props. 1500kv (again more powerful motor than the stock motor) with the same prop again (I like the 1915 abc) on 6s in my kbb34 mono (much heavier than a voracity) went 70. Just some examples of how the kv doesn't alway dictate your speed. I always like to over motor a lot of my setups because I don't have to turn as much rpm and it doesn't stress electronics as much.
    Agreed
    the motor will be more effective at spinning the prop
    .NAMBA20...Caterpillar UL-1, P-Spec OM29, P-Mono DF33, P-Spec JAE, Aussie 33" Hydro-LSH, Sprintcat CC2028 on 8s, PT SS45 Q Hydro, PS295 UL-1 power, OSE Brothers Outlaw QMono 4-sale, Rio 51z CC2028 on 8s

Quote Originally Posted by revoltrunner View Post
    The rest of the parts came.
    Leopard 4082 2000kv 5s X642
    Seaking 180 v2
    This looks really nice, are you going to change your screen name to VoracityRunner?
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

Nope...lol
    the Revolt was my first fe boat after years
    of running nitro boats. The voracity is pretty
    much just a larger Revolt anyway...lol

First spin with leopard 4092 1730kv 6s 180a turnigy Esc x542 prop today.
    148A -36500 rpm in water
    Really cold - flakes of thin ice on the water. Lipos 19,6v under max load - used to 21.0 at 147A - guessing the temperature did that. Only logged 58mph, but it really ran low and pushed a lot of water. After trim I'm guessing 70 will be the number at least when the temperature comes up. After the spin - lipos were in the 90'ies. Everything else in the 70'ies. Esc set at 7,5 deg...

Yes

Arrover - what prop are you using ?? I realize that you and I are running the same setup - except for the prop.

I've tested quite a few props on this setup and the results are in this thread. The fastest so far has been an ABC 2214-10-50 at 72.4mph. I did not know that Octura made a x542. It's not on a prop list that I have from them (although it's from Jan 2013) and OSE doesn't seem to carry it. I was just thinking that maybe you meant a x452 or a x548. There is a large difference between a x542 and the big props that I have been trying that's why it was kind of curious to me. Numerically a x542 would be less aggressive than the stock Voracity prop.

My bad. X452 it is.... sorry

Has anyone done any testing with any 3 blade props? I'm waiting for the X447/3 to come in stock. I have a 440/3 that I may throw in there and raise the timing to see what it does, but I feel it wont have the same effect as the 447/3 will on lower timing. **Stock ESC. Try this at your own risk**
    Rafael Lopez

I tryied the x447/3 on mine , On calm water !! Lol ! . the esc and motor just get warm , but my batteries was a little bit warmer than with the stock prop . Sorry i didn't carry my temp gun that time !

Banzee, was this with stock motor and ESC?
    Rafael Lopez

Raphael, I was told that the octura mold for the 447/3 was damaged and they weren't in a hurry to make another one. Someone that called them told me that because he needed a replacement badly. Abc is coming out with a low rake, 48mm 3 blade in the same pitch to fill this void in the market. I should be getting some soon (I hope) and when I do I'll send you one.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Travis, thanks for the heads up. 48/3 may need to be cut, but I doubt the stock ESC would swing it anyways. May be OK with the 160A From the Zelos 48. OR I have a couple HW 180s laying around.

Did you get that package I sent you yet?
    Rafael Lopez

Yes i got all stock , motor and ESC !!! Didn't check the speed . My batteries are old , about 5 years old , so they didn't push as hard as fresh one ! This summer , i will check for new ones and i will do more test !!

Quote Originally Posted by Banzee View Post
    Yes i got all stock , motor and ESC !!! Didn't check the speed . My batteries are old , about 5 years old , so they didn't push as hard as fresh one ! This summer , i will check for new ones and i will do more test !!
    Very Impressive. I bet it was moving huh?
    Rafael Lopez

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast