Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: The Voracity tuning thread

I think you should start with the 44mm, 61.6mm total pitch prop. Check the temperatures on the batteries, motor, esc, and all the connections after some hard runs. If nothing is to hot, then move up to the 46mm, 64.4mm total pitch prop. You are correct that the x457 that I tested recently has a 79.8mm total pitch BUT I've got a bigger motor than stock. More importantly, your props are three blades and they put a lot more strain on the motor/esc/batteries/etc than a two blade prop. If you had a two blade and a three blade prop with the same total pitch, the three blade will be much harder for the boat to turn. I think your two big 3 blade props are going to be to much for your 3782 motor but that's just an educated guess.

You still didn't say how the crack happened. Was it cracked in shipping? Did it have a high speed wreck on the water? Did he hit something????

thank you!! well for the 3 blade, your right, its more energy to turn that prop, but it kick the ass of the boat higher out of the water... the test i did with the spartan is... with my 2 blade.. strunt was with a 2 to 3 degre ajustement... but with the 3 blade... everything is at 0 degres... you dont loose spped in turn, but a bit slower on take off.... run time seems to be the same... i run my boat in wavew condition, 80% of the time... i can wait to do those test man!!! and for the crack, weel, out of the boxe you could see that there was like angel hair on the top back of the boat and when handling hit in your had, you could feel that it was very weak... after a run, the first run in wave with everything stock on a 4 cell setup, the top^back end of the boat crack on a 3 inch line!!! very cheap..... but the new one is super good!! bad construction i guest?? if i can run big prop with that motor, i will buy a leopard 4082 at 1800 kv... i hope that my 150 esc will be good for that motor on a 4 cell setup.. what do you think??

if i buy a bigger esc... what do you think about Hifei Swordfish Pro 220 amp, compare to seaking 180.. i know that the seaking have less amp, but i dont know the other brand... is it good???

I ran the Octura X457 again tonight and set the timing to 3.75 degrees. It's normally set at 0. 69.9mph and 50.8 on 4S. I wanted it to be a apples to apples comparison with just the timing change but the water ended up being good for speed tonight with just a little wind. It was pretty calm the last time I ran this prop. So a 3.3mph difference on 6S and 1.3mph faster on 4S. I'm thinking that most of that is probably the water conditions. With a little bit of chop on the water this prop will chine walk just a tiny bit and then calm right down and run straight and level. Temps were fine except the motor bullets were around 180 after two sets of runs. Not to bad but I wish they were cooler. I ended up dinging the prop on a floating stick after I made these passes....

IMG_0101 (Medium).JPG IMG_0103 (Medium).JPG

Quote Originally Posted by arrover View Post
    I ran the Octura X457 again tonight and set the timing to 3.75 degrees. It's normally set at 0. 69.9mph and 50.8 on 4S. I wanted it to be a apples to apples comparison with just the timing change but the water ended up being good for speed tonight with just a little wind. It was pretty calm the last time I ran this prop. So a 3.3mph difference on 6S and 1.3mph faster on 4S. I'm thinking that most of that is probably the water conditions. With a little bit of chop on the water this prop will chine walk just a tiny bit and then calm right down and run straight and level. Temps were fine except the motor bullets were around 180 after two sets of runs. Not to bad but I wish they were cooler. I ended up dinging the prop on a floating stick after I made these passes....

IMG_0101 (Medium).JPG IMG_0103 (Medium).JPG
    When you ran the 457 do you have to have your strut pretty low? I ran the abc2215 on 6s and couldn't get any speed at all only 34 mph on 6s. Or maybe the stock motor can't turn that big of a prop. My strut is as high as it will go. What do you think

Can't find the abc 2215 of ose prop ?

The 2215 has a pretty high total pitch. I have not run anything that tall yet even with the Leopard motor. So I was going to say it's just to much prop but I just got a message from another user who burned his stock motor up on a 2215 today. He said it ran in the low to mid 70s though. I always run all of these props with my strut at the same height which is high but the boat is not out of control. I think if you lowered the strut, you will probably have a harder time turning the prop unless that prop is just slipping and never hooks up.... I guess that could be the case. I'm really not a total expert on props. I'm just learning as I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Banzee View Post
    Can't find the abc 2215 of ose prop ?
    The 2215-17-45 isn't listed on the OSE site but it is on ABCs latest prop chart.

I bought mine from dasboata

The 2215 has a pretty high total pitch. I have not run anything that tall yet even with the Leopard motor. So I was going to say it's just to much prop but I just got a message from another user who burned his stock motor up on a 2215 today. He said it ran in the low to mid 70s though. I always run all of these props with my strut at the same height which is high but the boat is not out of control. I think if you lowered the strut, you will probably have a harder time turning the prop unless that prop is just slipping and never hooks up.... I guess that could be the case. I'm really not a total expert on props. I'm just learning as I go.
    I wonder what the heck was wrong when I ran the 2215 I only ran it for 2 passes but it never went fast (35mph or so) so i changed it to my 1915 add got it to 60mph. Your friend Who fried his motor was it with the stock electronics? And do you know how long he ran the boat for before it burned up? Thanks

The 2215-17-45 isn't listed on the OSE site but it is on ABCs latest prop chart.
    Ok thank's for the info !

Quote Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
    I wonder what the heck was wrong when I ran the 2215 I only ran it for 2 passes but it never went fast (35mph or so) so i changed it to my 1915 add got it to 60mph. Your friend Who fried his motor was it with the stock electronics? And do you know how long he ran the boat for before it burned up? Thanks
    I spoke with him today and he thinks it burned up from lack of cooling water. He has a hull mounted water pickup for the motor and his theory is that the boat was running so free that it starved the water pickup. If I remember correctly he was using a stock motor but a Turnigy 180A ESC.

The weather has been terrible for the last few days but I had to get out and run the boat. I bought a used Octura x460 a while back. It has a diameter of 58.25mm so it may have been modified but it didn't look like it had been (casting marks on the tips of the blades). Anyway, it ran almost exactly what the x457 ran. 69.0mph on 6S and 50.7 on 4S. The water wasn't as good as it could have been and it was raining a little. There was some chine walking but it was manageable where the water wasn't flat.

IMG_0141 (Medium).JPG IMG_0142 (Medium).JPG

The weather has been terrible for the last few days but I had to get out and run the boat. I bought a used Octura x460 a while back. It has a diameter of 58.25mm so it may have been modified but it didn't look like it had been (casting marks on the tips of the blades). Anyway, it ran almost exactly what the x457 ran. 69.0mph on 6S and 50.7 on 4S. The water wasn't as good as it could have been and it was raining a little. There was some chine walking but it was manageable where the water wasn't flat.

IMG_0141 (Medium).JPG IMG_0142 (Medium).JPG
    Do you think that a real x460 will give you more ??

I'm not sure. Visually the diameter didn't seem to be altered but I can't say for sure. If anyone has a full diameter x460, maybe they could measure it. I'm still trying different props so I haven't figured out what's to much for this motor.

I ran the x460 again tonight with a new set of batteries. They are the same brand and model (Turnigy Heavy-Duty 60-120C 5000mah) packs that I have always run in this boat but they are new. The conditions were similar to the other day except that it wasn't raining. The boat ran 71.9mph. I guess the new packs made a difference.

IMG_0161 (Medium).JPG

Last night I switched the 6mm motor/ESC bullets to Castle 8mm. I also spread them out to hopefully let them cool a little better. I used water cooling hose. I don't know the temp rating on it so I'll have to keep an eye on it. I ran it today with the same prop and batteries as yesterday and ran 70.5 or something. The water was to flat for good speed. The bullet temps MIGHT have been a tiny bit cooler but no drastic drop in temps unfortunately. I'll have to keep an eye on it to get a feel for how much cooler but it's not much. Probably in the 5-15 degree range.

IMG_0153 (Medium).JPG IMG_0154 (Medium).JPG IMG_0162 (Medium).JPG

That's the kind of stuff to know! Can you shorten your wires? Maybe try silver solder
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Someone else mentioned silver solder to me.... Do you use silver solder on your builds KFX? I used Novak brand solder that I bought a long time ago and I have no idea what it's make-up is. I do feel that my joints are up to par though. The ESC wires could be a little bit shorter but I'm just not sure it would be worth the time/work. ???? Still having a blast with this boat.

Someone else mentioned silver solder to me.... Do you use silver solder on your builds KFX? I used Novak brand solder that I bought a long time ago and I have no idea what it's make-up is. I do feel that my joints are up to par though. The ESC wires could be a little bit shorter but I'm just not sure it would be worth the time/work. ???? Still having a blast with this boat.

I haven't been using silver solder but I haven't had any issues.

Well guys I guess I'm out of the game for good with this boat. I've been thinking about the boat all week. Ordered some pretty pearl blue base coat for it. Started peeling the decals off tonight and horror was hidden underneath. When I peeled the hatch seal up, the whole rail was broken through from side to side with the hatch bolt hole in the middle. Both sides of the boat were cracked through where the top and bottom of the hull are joined. I'm not sure what to think of it. I had some minor gel coat cracks here and there and then the last time I drove it, I flipped it and it caused all this damage I guess. The bad thing is the gps only read 36mph and I was just starting to get into the throttle and I don't remember why but it flipped. After seeing the damage tonight, I decided I was going to rip the innards out and do a carbon inlay and fix the cracks but after taking one battery tray out it realized the stuff isn't elmers glued in like the geico I had a long time ago. I'll end up busting a hole through the hull if I continue. So I don't know what to do now. I shelved it and called it a night.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

On my personal builds I use nothing but silver solder because the solder tends to spread throughout the entire soldering point. Connectors do seem to run cooler and I've never melted them off the wires using silver solder. The best way to solder the wire is to the side of the connector. The worst thing you can do is pool lead solder around the wire, between the connector.

For Production we've spec'ed out a special solder assembly method that uses minimal solder while ensuring a solid bond; with the least resistance possible considering the use of lead solder.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rafael Lopez
    Product Developer-Pro Boat
    My Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010183246751

Shortening the motor wire will affect something on the esc-motor setup ??

Excess wire=resistance. Shortening the wires will lessen the resistance, bringing down temps on the wires and connectors. Over sizing the wires usually dissipates heat and lowers resistance.
    Rafael Lopez
    Product Developer-Pro Boat
    My Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010183246751

Thank's , i was just asking , cuz i had to cut the motor wires for about a quarter of an inch cuz one of my connector was damage , and i just cut all to the same lenght !

Today I was testing another prop with a 2.3" diameter and it looks like the prop somehow got into the rudder. I'm still trying to figure out how this is even possible. I was at the end of one straight line pass and the boat appeared to get upset about the same time I let off the throttle. It was fairly far away from me so I couldn't really see what happened. I was not turning at the time. The boat continued to run and I found the prop and rudder damage when I got it back to the dock. No hull damage. At first I thought I had hit a floating log but I don't think wood could make such deep marks in the rudder. Unless I hit some wood and that pushed the rudder into the prop? Strange and disappointing. Even when flexing the rudder by hand, I can't get it even close to touching the prop. Anyway, at this point, you might want to use caution if you are running big props like this. I'm just not sure what happened.

IMG_0201 (Medium).JPG IMG_0203 (Medium).JPG

Hello, new here from the netherlands. I have been Reading up on this forum, very interesting. I have a stock voracity since a week. Big fun. Friends of my have a miss geico 29 and Genesis 36. We all reach speeds of around 48 mph, today the geico reached 56 (flat water). The voracity only 47. Is this because of hull diffences?

I have a few questions i am hoping to find the answers to.

Should I change te prop height? Stock iT is up I guess. During acceleration iT seems the prop is slipping or getting some air for 1-2 seconds, is this normal?

Should i change anything with the trim pads? What is in your opinion the best position for lipos?

IF i want to keep everything stock except the prop, which prop can i safely choose without any risk of damage? What would it bring?

I now run gens ace 25-50c 2x3s lipos 5ooo mah. Is there any point in choosing higher c and mah? Are turnigy good quality or better choose expensive lipos?

Thanx!

Congrats on the new boat. I think you're going to like it. The different hull type does play a big role. The cats should have less hull drag than a V. Completely flat water is not the fastest for a V hull. A little bit of wind stirs up the surface of the water and causes less drag on the V hull. You should run the strut (prop height) level and see how the boat runs. If it runs slower and looks like to much hull is in the water, then raise it slightly and retest. Some prop slip on acceleration is normal. Some props have more than others. You have to keep in mind that there is a lot of power going to that small prop. You should run the tips of the trim tabs level with the bottom of the boat. Put a straight edge on the bottom of the boat and the tips of the tabs should just touch it. The lipos should be all the way back as far as possible. An Octura M645 is the same pitch and diameter as the stock prop so it shouldn't tax the electronics any more. It should give you around 4-5 mph increase with a little bit more prop slip from a standstill. My voracity ran 54.6mph with the m645. Higher battery mah will give you longer run times but I think most guys are running two 5000mah packs like you are. That size is what I have always run and they work well. Higher C rating would be nice but I think you'll be ok all stock with conservative props. I run Turnigy Heavy Duty packs and I like them. They are something like 60-120c. Pay attention to battery connectors when you're choosing batteries. In order to use the Turnigy batteries that I use, you will have to change the battery connectors to 5.5mm bullets.

Big thanx for the fast response. Went out today with a lot more wind and indeed: top speed reached 52 mph. Only one downside: it flipped and now there is a crack at the top of the transom at the side of rudder for half the width of the boat... I believe this shouldn't be possible and is a fabrixation issue? Do you perhaps heard of more like this?

Sorry to hear that. A wreck at 50 is a serious amount of strain on a hull. You could call Pro Boat and see what they say. Unfortunately you just can't run high speeds in all conditions. I have flipped boats more than a few times (fortunately not my Voracity).

Today I ran an ABC 2314-10-50 to 72.3mph on 6S. I tried to run a 2314 a few weeks ago and that's when I hit something and hurt the rudder and prop. Today I was able to get some good passes in on fast water but the speed wasn't as high as I expected. It basically ran the same as my 2214-10-50. That's kind of a head scratcher. I do feel like I'm at the limit of diameter though. This huge prop chine walks fairly badly on smooth water and even a little wobble on wind blown water. Then at the end of several runs I hit something and hurt the second prop and rudder AGAIN. Frustrating but it's fun watching the boat run fast. Still running the Leopard 4092 and Turnigy 180a ESC.

IMG_0367 (Medium).JPG

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast