Thread: Spartan shaft Meltdown

Default Spartan shaft Meltdown

Rough day on the water yesterday. My Spartan has the stock motor and ESC,
    and running 6s. I noticed that it was running a bit slower than normal. After a couple passes it make starting making a bad noise, sounded like the motor or shaft was slipping bad, limped it back to shore. As I was taking the hatch off, I saw a bit of smoke. The motor was HOT, I thought I fried it, and I couldn't spin the prop. Found out that the drive line was froze up, the Teflon liner was melted and it even melted the small u shaped clamp that supports the shaft. The brass stuffing tube is even discolored from heat.
    Took 10 minutes to remove the entire shaft assembly, I have used Grim Racer grease since the boat was new, removed, cleaned and regreased every 2nd run. So now I have to replace the entire electronics tray assembly, new brass tube and liner, and the wire drive shaft. Not going to go with stock. Looking for recommendations, probably will go to Kintec or Offshore Electrics to upgrade.

I would go with the OSE .187 shaft/strut combo. That is what I ran in mine and never had any problems, I had over a 100 runs on that setup and I only ran on 6s.

Try greasing more often it can save you money.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I greased it every other run with Grim Reaper shaft grease. I am sure that most people do the same, or not even that often. But, I am upgrading with the OSE upgrade kit. That should take care of meltdown issues.

Make sure you didn't have any binding issues. Did you have a 2-3mm gap between the drive dog and strut? Check the motor bearings also.

Quote Originally Posted by Mxkid261 View Post
    Make sure you didn't have any binding issues. Did you have a 2-3mm gap between the drive dog and strut? Check the motor bearings also.
    Gap was good, when i take the electronics tray out to replace it, i will check motor bearings. I talked to Steve at OSE, going to go with the Upgrade Kit which has, .187 shaft, new strut, couplers etc.. And replace the brass tube, he is out of stock on the couplers for a few weeks. So, i am on hold. Im sure his upgrade kit will be a much better setup, and no more Teflon liner to melt. I have heard of a few others having the same issue when running 6s alot.

If by chance the motor isnt up to par, going to need advise on a motor replacement, but I really dont want to invest in a new ESC also, just a replacement motor. Any Ideas?

I wouldn't bother putting a nice motor in there without an ESC upgrade, especially if you like running 6s hard. I put a TP in my rivercat and absolutely love it, very smooth and quiet. If I ever run anything other than a TP it will be a Neu or a Lehner.

OSE is the best place for Spartan upgrades. I went for the leopard 4082 & Seaking T180 esc combo, upgraded to .187 shaft/strut (also picked up a larger brass tube and teflon), dual pick-up rudder, dual trim tabs, splash guard, and blue anodized turn fins.

Spartan runs great once you upgrade all the parts :P

Talked to Steve at OSE, and the kit is BackOrdered for about 2 weeks. I will order it as soon as it comes in. .187 shaft, bearing, strut, tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheyd View Post
    OSE is the best place for Spartan upgrades. I went for the leopard 4082 & Seaking T180 esc combo, upgraded to .187 shaft/strut (also picked up a larger brass tube and teflon), dual pick-up rudder, dual trim tabs, splash guard, and blue anodized turn fins.

Spartan runs great once you upgrade all the parts :P
    I have the dual rudder cooling, Adjustable Turn Fins, 2 sets of the adjustable trim tabs, splash guard also. I run right at 50mph. with 6s 50c 5000 LiPo
    What speed do you expect with the new motor, and ESC combo?
    I just dont want to pour too much more into the Spartan, since i plan on getting a ProBoat Voracity soon.

Depends on your prop. The new motor/esc won't directly give you a large increase in speed. But it will run much cooler and allow you to run bigger props without melting. With the Leo you should run an m645 and push into the 60s easy.

Also the voracity looks sweet. I might get one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Xcessive Carts View Post
    I have the dual rudder cooling, Adjustable Turn Fins, 2 sets of the adjustable trim tabs, splash guard also. I run right at 50mph. with 6s 50c 5000 LiPo
    What speed do you expect with the new motor, and ESC combo?
    I just dont want to pour too much more into the Spartan, since i plan on getting a ProBoat Voracity soon.
    Why not put some of your Spartan guts in a hull and canopy? You buy some of the PB hardware or speed master. If it doesn't save you any money then I guess go for the whole shebang.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I dont want to strip out the Spartan, even when I get the Vorocity, i will still keep and run the Spartan.

Get a new strut ... except one with boca bearings. I replaced mine with one and it seemed noticeably faster.

The OSE upgrade includes a better strut.