Thread: Lucas oil hull cheap?

Default Lucas oil hull cheap?

Is the lucas oil hull thin? Will it crack? Need replies.

I've never had an issue with mine, and I've blown it over and stuffed it many times (not a fault of the boat, simply driver errors). Seems to be plenty strong for an RTR hull. For what it costs, its an excellent boat.
    Aquacraft Revolt 30, Aquacraft Lucas Oil Cat
    Dumas 44' Coast Guard MLB (undergoing restoration)
    Dumas 55" Wellcraft Scarab 38KV (NIB kit)

I have one of each, the lucas is a little lighter but both have survived very well.

Mine broke a seam easily on the left side, almost tip to tail.

The hull on the Lucas Oil, though supposedly thicker glass than the Motley Crew, does seem to be weaker than most of the Motley Crews I've seen.

My boat does hit 50 - 53 mph, which I think is maybe too much for the stock hull to handle. On traditional open hull designs, you can easily reinforce the inside of the hull with additional fiberglass or carbon, but with the tub design used, you can't do that unless you cut out the outer tub.

If you are going to keep the boat hull stock, I would try to keep in the 45 mph zone so it survives the occasional hard flip. I would stick with the stock 1800kv motor and a Grimracer 42x55 prop. Mine is running the 2030kv motor out of a UL-1 and an Octura 642 prop, it has run about 53 mph with that setup.

What do u guys think of a wood kit cat to replace this hull?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by vincea View Post
    What do u guys think of a wood kit cat to replace this hull?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    What do you mean by "replace this hull".

As for wood hulls, TheShaddix builds them, he has several full wood hulls that are also carbon reinforced, which I think are 40+ inch mono-cat hybrids.

Its a strong material for sure, but carbon reinforced fiberglass is just as strong and generally easier to work with.

The problem with the Lucas Oil is that you can't easily reinforce it from the inside because of its double hull (tub in a tub) design. Otherwise a couple layers of fiberglass cloth or carbon fiber and you would be set.

I`m running this boat most of the time on 6s,tested various octuras on a leopard 4074/2000kv.Flipped that thing nearly every single session.
    Few simple modifications as filling the hull with foam,reinforcing that thin motor plate and a stronger servo of course and youre good to go for dozens of fast laps
    on the verge of a nervous breakdown...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWwF0pvVqaA

I agree, my Pursuit was reinforced due to need after I broke a seem. I was told it could handle 60 mph in stock form, I should have known better :)

Reinforcement was a couple of strips of fiberglass cloth & resin along both main seems on each side of the boat, 2-3 ounces of resin in the tip and a new layer of fiberglass cloth & resin on the canopy and front top of the hull. I also reinforced the motor mount as well.

Work perfectly for about a year with no issue, until one day the boat got sucked down about 20 feet underwater for 3-5 minutes! Essentially it full throttled into the soft mud at my local lake and stayed their until the motor hit lv cutoff. It slowly raised back to the surface a few minutes later filled with water, the prop still slowly running.

Luckily this was freshwater so my capacitors and batteries were not harmed. I dried everything out, only damage was a few seam cracks due to the pressure exerted on the hull when it dived to the bottom of the lake. Funny thing is, the only areas that cracked were the only areas I was too lazy to reinforce the first time.

I have raced mine for two seasons and had not issues, for the money it is a great buy.
    WIN IT or SEND IT