Thread: Blackjack cut out problem

Default Blackjack cut out problem

I have the blue and white boat with the stock brushless motor and esc. An older one with a 27Mhz radio. Using two 7.2v 5000Mah batteries. When I accelerate to about half throttle, the boat consistently cuts out. I used the PRB3311 program module to set the cutoff voltage to low. Also made sure the battery type in NiMh.

Any ideas about this?

Almost sounds like the RX is starving for amperage.
    Internal BEC of the ESC may have gone south.
    I have the same boat and Ive never had this issue but i have seen it in a couple of my crawlers.
    Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_NJ View Post
    I have the blue and white boat with the stock brushless motor and esc. An older one with a 27Mhz radio. Using two 7.2v 5000Mah batteries. When I accelerate to about half throttle, the boat consistently cuts out. I used the PRB3311 program module to set the cutoff voltage to low. Also made sure the battery type in NiMh.

Any ideas about this?
    Ken,
    when I first bought my FasTECH way back with the same radio, I had the same problem, everything was set up correctly. I even bought "nice" expensive Proboat brand NiMh cells. It would die as soon as I pull full throttle. Turns out one of the packs was DOA. Some years later after I got into FE and using Lipo, it was no longer an issue. ( that's right, I put the boat away for like 3 years because of that)
    My point, have you checked the condition of your NiMh packs?
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Hes got a great point that i didnt even think of its been so long since I used Nimh.
    On the 3rd page there is a thread titled full throttle cut out give it a read seems like it may just be a battery issue.
    Sorry I dont know how to link a thread to a post. LOL

I did catch a few comments online that it could be a battery issues and the solution might be to go to Lipo. The Nimh I'm using are new and seem to be OK. It could be that the Nimh are not up to snuff to do the job. I'm looking into buying some 2s Lipo's.

Any idea how you figure what C rating Lipo's to use? I'm sure the higher the better but the higher the C rating the higher the cost.

I've been using 5000mah 40C venom lipos. No heat issues and decent run time. I've run it on some 30 and 35C packs as well with good results.