Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ABC high pitch props

Default ABC high pitch props

So I know this is sort of a loaded question but here goes anyway......So I have got my pursuit with a leopard 1480 4092 and SK180. I am getting 55mph on 6S with an m445. I have ran an m545 without issue but never got to clock it. I ended up damaging it so I retired it for the m445. Knowing that, I want to try an ABC 1815-17 . I am thinking it should be a good all around prop as well as be very fast.

But my question is knowing what motor I have and relative boat size would it make any sense at all to even test the 1817 version or am I just flat out wasting my time? 1819? It would strictly be for a quick "watch this" speed run and then back to shore. The 1820-22 is very intriguing too but I am guessing that would

I might have an 1816 and 1818 if you want to try them. They aren't the new -17's. What size bullets are you using? I also have an eagletree if you want to see what amps you're pulling.

Thanks man.

I am running the OSE 6mm, I think you might be running that size too? That would be great to log it.

The ABC props have allot more blade area than your typical Octura props so you cannot compare them by just diameter and pitch. An ABC prop with similar diameter and pitch will be much faster but pull much more amps. That increased blade area and pitch can also cause handling issues such as prop walk and torque roll. So the bottom line is be very carefull.

Do you think I should start with a 1715? You think it would load more than the m445 i am running now? Thanks for the insight!

I cant say for sure but I think a 1714 would be close. I don't see a 1715 on the ABC prop chart. What ever you start with, do two laps, bring it in and take some temps. From there you can start working your way up to longer run times and larger/higher pitch props. Good advice for anyone looking to prop up.

try the 18 or 1714 it will be safer !

There's a

A 1914 worked well on my 34" mono with a 1500kv 1527. Ran close to 70 on (67-69) 6s. I would definitely stay away from the older design high pitch props, your asking for trouble. The 1915 would be a good choice after you make sure your temps are in check with the 1914. A m447 two blade also worked well on my mono but the abc was better. With your setup being fairly close to what I have, I'd try the 1914 first. I also recommend making sure you have at least 6.5mm bullets on the motor and battery connectors along with short wires and a decent cap bank. You do these things and you should be where you want to be (or faster lol). I personally like overkill so I recommend upgrading the Esc soon.

The 1815 is very close to an m645 amp wise pulling a few less than the m645 does. In my boat it (1815)pulled I think 16 amps less (than m645). My mono didn't like the 45mm props near as much as the 47-48mm props. Could just be the way my bit is set up tho. I have a 1914 and 1915 for my new build. I suspect the 1915 to be a touch faster than the 1914. I am going with a touch higher kv this time so it should be in the low 70's on 6s.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Thanks! The 1914 is the 10 degree rake right? So when you say your boat didn't like the 45mm does that just mean they didn't bite in and push the boat as well/fast? To tell you he truth I wanted to bump up to the bigger diameter but I wasn't sure it would work with a stinger since I can't adjust the height. I'll get a 1914 and 1915, no sweat if they don't run right, I'll throw them in the box for something down the road.

Cap bank is being built this weekend! I'll keep a close eye on wire and connector temps too and upgrade if needed. I would be pretty happy with mid-60s! That is probably more than enough for this hull without any reinforcement anyway. It is holding up nicely so far though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamey View Post
    Thanks! The 1914 is the 10 degree rake right? So when you say your boat didn't like the 45mm does that just mean they didn't bite in and push the boat as well/fast? To tell you he truth I wanted to bump up to the bigger diameter but I wasn't sure it would work with a stinger since I can't adjust the height. I'll get a 1914 and 1915, no sweat if they don't run right, I'll throw them in the box for something down the road.

Cap bank is being built this weekend! I'll keep a close eye on wire and connector temps too and upgrade if needed. I would be pretty happy with mid-60s! That is probably more than enough for this hull without any reinforcement anyway. It is holding up nicely so far though.

The 45mm just didn't bite well on mine. Having a stinger really limits your adjustments. It wouldn't hurt to try, you never know , it may like that size. The 1914 is a 10 degree rake. Mine went 84.5 with that prop on 8s and that was with batteries ran down below 4v per cell. Can't remember what it did on 7s. I think 76-78.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Okay here is what I have done and the results. Shortened the esc to motor wires to almost the bare minimum, or about 3" shorter and replaced the 6mm bullets with castle 8mm. These wires run much cooler now, I was surprised actually. Also built a large cap bank made up of 8x 1000uf 35v ZLH caps with 12g leads. Removed the two little caps in the esc power wires and connected the bank to where these originally were. Now when I disconnect the batteries and turn the esc on the caps give it enough juice to go through the full start up sequence! lol

I haven't found an ABC 1915-17 yet but I did grab a 1914-10. That prop is a friggen monster compared to the m445. Spent a little time sharping, thinning, and balancing. For the test. I was having trouble keeping my cg in place because my batteries, held only by straps, kept sliding back and forth on my new mount. I did finally fix this yesterday by adding Velcro to the mount and just a little on the batteries along with straps. I could slam a concrete wall now and I don't thing they will move. Unfortunately my 4S and 5S testing is a little screwed up because of this. The 4S results should pickup some additional speed with better cg control.

This prop definitely loosened the ride up a bit. Increasing the stinger angle actually worked fine though to settle it back down. Still testing but I believe this prop should be good to go. The boat is just so fast with very little weight I don't think I could ask for anything better. It should work very well once I add the weight of a true 2P battery setup. So the top speed results are as follows going from an m445 to the changes above. Again this is only a 1480kv motor-

4S m445-39mph 1914-41mph
    5S m445-47mph 1914-52mph
    6S m445-55mph 1914-60mph

So this prop got me to my cell count x 10mph goal! And get this, I timed the 6S run a full 3 minutes and my cells were only down to 3.88v and temps were very good as well. Hopefully I can continue to make 4 minute runs like I have done in the past. Also I am curious to see if the 17 degree rake on the 1915 will allow me to bring the stinger angle back to neutral and still pick up a little speed. Need to find one first. I may just order an 1815-17 as well. Something I noticed about the 1914 prop. Even though it has huge blades and lots of diameter it ventilates badly getting on plane. I had to be careful not to rev it too the moon only for it to grab abruptly and destroy something. Once on step though it bites great obviously. No doubt about it the m445 pushed the boat onto plane much faster, easier without effort. This is an easy trade off to accept for better performance at speed.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions!

Okay here is what I have done and the results. Shortened the esc to motor wires to almost the bare minimum, or about 3" shorter and replaced the 6mm bullets with castle 8mm. These wires run much cooler now, I was surprised actually. Also built a large cap bank made up of 8x 1000uf 35v ZLH caps with 12g leads. Removed the two little caps in the esc power wires and connected the bank to where these originally were. Now when I disconnect the batteries and turn the esc on the caps give it enough juice to go through the full start up sequence! lol

I haven't found an ABC 1915-17 yet but I did grab a 1914-10. That prop is a friggen monster compared to the m445. Spent a little time sharping, thinning, and balancing. For the test. I was having trouble keeping my cg in place because my batteries, held only by straps, kept sliding back and forth on my new mount. I did finally fix this yesterday by adding Velcro to the mount and just a little on the batteries along with straps. I could slam a concrete wall now and I don't thing they will move. Unfortunately my 4S and 5S testing is a little screwed up because of this. The 4S results should pickup some additional speed with better cg control.

This prop definitely loosened the ride up a bit. Increasing the stinger angle actually worked fine though to settle it back down. Still testing but I believe this prop should be good to go. The boat is just so fast with very little weight I don't think I could ask for anything better. It should work very well once I add the weight of a true 2P battery setup. So the top speed results are as follows going from an m445 to the changes above. Again this is only a 1480kv motor-

4S m445-39mph 1914-41mph
    5S m445-47mph 1914-52mph
    6S m445-55mph 1914-60mph

So this prop got me to my cell count x 10mph goal! And get this, I timed the 6S run a full 3 minutes and my cells were only down to 3.88v and temps were very good as well. Hopefully I can continue to make 4 minute runs like I have done in the past. Also I am curious to see if the 17 degree rake on the 1915 will allow me to bring the stinger angle back to neutral and still pick up a little speed. Need to find one first. I may just order an 1815-17 as well. Something I noticed about the 1914 prop. Even though it has huge blades and lots of diameter it ventilates badly getting on plane. I had to be careful not to rev it too the moon only for it to grab abruptly and destroy something. Once on step though it bites great obviously. No doubt about it the m445 pushed the boat onto plane much faster, easier without effort. This is an easy trade off to accept for better performance at speed.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions!

I ran my new mono with a 1914 on 4s this weekend. Went the exact same speed as yours on 4s. I did go 65 on 6s but I didn't try the 1914, I had the 1915 on it. Mine cavitates a lot too but my other boat with the same prop didn't do it as bad. Of notable mention, a cat doesn't cavitate with these props at all. I think it has something to do with the transom blocking water flow to the prop.

Yeah I saw your post. You are pushing more kv but also a LOT more boat weight. I think I am at 8lbs.

Do you see a noticeable difference in running altitude or handling between the 1914 and 1915? The 1915 has the extra rake and less blade area.

Yeah I saw your post. You are pushing more kv but also a LOT more boat weight. I think I am at 8lbs.

Do you see a noticeable difference in running altitude or handling between the 1914 and 1915? The 1915 has the extra rake and less blade area.
    Well at 41mph it was barely on plane with either one so I can't quite answer. But I will tell you this: on a cat the 1915 will produce more lift in the nose than a m447

I'm not sure if bow lift is good for a mono but I'm going to see if I can find a 1915 and I'll update the thread with my observations once I am able to test. You would think removing strut angle would reduce bow lift (and comparatively increasing strut angle should reduce stern lift?) so hopefully it should work well.

The smaller tongue area is most of the problem with the captivation,,, work with it with out blowing your $it up you will have a smile on your face !!!

Yeah I thought it was something about the tongue area. You are right. Not a drag race prop, more like a Winston cup prop. Needs a little coaxing to get going but sure is fast once it kicks into gear.

So I am not able to find a 1915 anywhere at the moment. I don't think the 1815 would be much different speed wise from the 1914. I am mighty tempted to try a 1817/17 lol

So I am not able to find a 1915 anywhere at the moment. I don't think the 1815 would be much different speed wise from the 1914. I am mighty tempted to try a 1817/17 lol

I'd try the 1914

I talked to Mr Jim on Friday and he was taking some 1915's out of the mold that day. So ose should have some back in stock next week.

1914 is what I have. Thanks for the info from Jim. I'll wait on a 1915.

I have 1816, 1818 and a 1918 if you want to try any.

Thanks Oscar. I ran a pack tonight with a little more stinger angle and got a new high of 62.3mph. I was hoping it would help plant the stern but definitely not. It does okay on glass but hitting my wakes I had two huge wipe outs. I will say my glue job is holding up nicely! Amazing nothing has broke yet. But anyway either I have maxed out the hull at this weight or I just have too much transom lift. I am afraid the higher pitch will be even worse.

Are you trying to get less stern lift?

So, the higher the pitch of the prop, the more it will "lift" the stern of the boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Mxkid261 View Post
    So, the higher the pitch of the prop, the more it will "lift" the stern of the boat?
    no the more rake, of the blade the less lift of the transom

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Are you trying to get less stern lift?
    I think so. Really the goal is to just go fast but keep some kind of semblance of stability. My thinking is the only way to do that is keep more hull in the water. I see only two ways to do that; add weight or remove lift where possible. I'll be the first to say I have no idea what the heck I am talking about though

Quote Originally Posted by Mxkid261 View Post
    I don't know if that is true or not. All else equal MAYBE. But I was actually referring to the prop models that Oscarel was offering to let me borrow. These particular props do not have the rake angle that the newer styles have and seem to be known as having a lot of stern lift. Keep in mind some hulls need stern lift so it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

also if you want to get rid/reduce slip go to the series with more blade area but really,,,slip can be used to turn larger pitches

Rake is new to me. I don't think Octura even mentions rake in their specs. Would someone explain it to me. I might like to try ABC props soon.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

From what I understand, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, the rake is the angle of the blade where it attaches to the hub of the prop. I would assume that more rake will produce a smaller thrust cone in the water since the blade has more of an rearward angle? Im sure dasboata, aka prop master will correct me Lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast