Thread: Recommendation for stable rough water boat

Default Recommendation for stable rough water boat

I had an Impulse 31 V2 and while crazy fast, you need to run it on perfectly calm water or it's always going upside down. I run on big lake that is never calm so I'm looking for a better option as I'm tired of swimming every time I run the boat. I do not race or run with other boats so I'm not concerned about squeezing every mph out of a boat. I just want a top notch boat that is very stable, very reliable while still fun to drive. Even better, would be an option that is self righting. Not so worried about cost if it's checks all the boxes.

Some options I've looked at are Voracity, Revolt, Kyosho Jetstream 888 (self righting), Spartan, Ariane 2.

The new Pro Boat Voracity looks like a nice option since it's larger, but is the hull design the same as the Impulse? I'm thinking I need something with a deeper V haul than the Impulse which seems more geared to racing than stability.

Welcome to the forum! Bigger is better when it comes to stability on rougher water. The voracity would be a good choice because of its size...it's not really a sized up impulse 31. I wouldn't run it on 6s in rough water but 4s (40ish mph) and 5s (mid to high 40's) should be fine. If you propped down to say a m445 and ran it in 6s it would probably be manageable as the prop that comes on it is fairly aggressive, although it's a good prop. I like the revolt but I think it's too small for your intended use. Spartan I wouldn't even consider. And the others I've never had any dealings with.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

What about a ToySport Triton 32" Mono?
    Z
    KBB34" Mono - Fast
    ToySport Triton- Not as fast

I agree that the Spartan shoudn't be a consideration. I have 2 of them and love my Traxxas cars and trucks, but no matter how much money you put into a Spartan, at the end of the day you still have a plastic hull. To me, it looks like the Voracity is everything the Spartan should have been.

If I were you... I'd go with anything that self-rights. Pretty much any boat will go upside down if you hit some chop to fast or wrong. Obviously a larger boat will handle larger chop but it WILL happen.
    I don't know anything about the Jetstream 888 you listed as self-righting but I do know Atomic came out with a slightly larger Barbwire at 24.5" and that is self-righting with a flood chamber. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFDWG&P=0

Another option you might consider if you find a boat you really like but it's not self-righting... Build yourself a rescue/retrieval boat. You can find a few threads on here with some basic ideas on what and how to do it. https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ht=rescue+boat
    Have fun with that....

Supporting what dethow has stated above..

I have a 32" Toysport Triton mono that is self righting that i am wanting to part with.
    Runs mid 60's on 6's.
    Z
    KBB34" Mono - Fast

I really like the new Voracity, looks like an awesome boat. If the haul is not a scaled up Impulse 31, that might be good for what I'm looking for. Would be nice to see some videos of it in choppy water.

Toysport Triton looks like a decent option. Had not seen that one before. Mid 60's is pretty darn fast z400! Any video's of that in action? What are you selling it for?

I checked out the Barbwire XL and it looks like a fun boat, was hoping for something a little bigger though.

Was watching some videos on youtube and came across the HK Princesss Yacht, 40" self righting, fiberglass haul, real wood deck. Handles amazing, check out this video of it jumping waves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFy64pVWrcQ

Ive got a video of it, ill get it posted in the morning.

It may be out of your price range just going by the price of the other FE boats you are mentioning.
    Ill be posting it for $800 shipped.
    It will need a radio, a single 6s battery and a x447 or x448 prop.

Z
    KBB34" Mono - Fast

I have a Triton and it will self-right, if setup properly, test in a bathtub to make sure that you have placed weight correctly in order for it to self-right. A better option for choppy water is a MHZ Lizard Xtreme, which I also have, but no self-right, but very stable. Also DO not swim to retrieve your boat...check out many threads on this no no practise.

Douggie

/////
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

Quote Originally Posted by floatsonwater View Post
    Was watching some videos on youtube and came across the HK Princesss Yacht, 40" self righting, fiberglass haul, real wood deck. Handles amazing, check out this video of it jumping waves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFy64pVWrcQ
    I'll tell you that I was completely fooled by that video, and several others on YouTube. Nobody ever tells you what they had to change to get that kind of performance. I figured that I would get some decent performance on four cells. Not even close. With the stock 1620kv motor and the stupid prop they put on it, and a four cell pack on the mounting plate, it went all of 8 MPH, with the bow plowing through the water. Started changing props and moving the battery back. By the time I got to an Octura M645 and the battery back by the servo tray, I got it up to a whiz-bang 18 MPH. So I swapped out the 1620kv motor for a new Dynamite 2000kv motor. Now I had to prop way down to a Proboat 4019 (40mm, 1.4 pitch ratio) to keep from overheating the motor. But, I am finally getting 25 MPH, and the boat looks like the one in that video. I am going to settle for this, because it gets a lot of attention and I am not cooking anything. And, BTW, in order to change props, I had to replace the 4MM two piece shaft with a 3/16 one piece. So, I really like the Princess, but it needed a lot of modification to perform well.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

Nice video of the Triton, I had actually seen that one before and thought ut oh, is it going to self right!

Zooma...you are bursting my bubble here. I just ordered the Princess before you posted based on these videos. Seemed like it was pretty fast and handled really well. 8 mph sounds pretty lame. Every think about running it at 6S?

Nice video of the Triton, I had actually seen that one before and thought ut oh, is it going to self right!

Zooma...you are bursting my bubble here. I just ordered the Princess before you posted based on these videos. Seemed like it was pretty fast and handled really well. 8 mph sounds pretty lame. Every think about running it at 6S?
    6s, not me, but might be worth a try. I think that you would have to do two 3s in series and mount them next to the motor. I would welcome your test results. Stock prop is wacko. 12x48 with severe back cut at trailing edge. I don't know if the 12 means 1.2 pitch ratio or just 12 mm total pitch.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

Some of the videos claim to be running 6S on the stock motor at cool temps. HK said no way, it will fry it.

Do you have a part number for the 3/16 one piece shaft you got? Sounds like I've got some work to do.

Some of the videos claim to be running 6S on the stock motor at cool temps. HK said no way, it will fry it.

Do you have a part number for the 3/16 one piece shaft you got? Sounds like I've got some work to do.
    I am not yet perfectly happy with my drive, but here is what I did. I purchased a .150 flex cable with 3/16 prop shaft (part number ose-150L). Then I heated the stinger and knocked out the 4MM bushings. This is a very small stinger, I don't like it at all. I was using a drill press to press in the 3/16 bushings. As I heated the stinger and pressed in the first bushing, it swelled the stinger housing. Ideally, there should be two bushings about 1/4 inch apart, but at this point I quit and decided to go with just one. Now, after about a dozen runs, there is wobble at the shaft. My recovery plan is to try this again with a single stinger bushing, which is longer. If that does not work, I will have to replace the stock stinger with an aftermarket one, which will have a different bolt spacing. I am in a little over my head here because I'm just a modeler, not a machinist.

The primary reason for doing this is to get a longer shaft for larger propellers. I saw in the Kintec web site, an extended 4mm shaft with a threaded end and square drive. You could live with this, and just use a piece of brass tubing to shim it to the 3/16 prop hub.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

Hi, floatsonwater,

Did you get the Princess yet? Please post your results. I have received the new stinger bushing but have not had the time to install it.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

Yes, I just finished putting it together last night. What a royal pain in the but. Directions are useless (not even for this boat) and nothing seemed to want to work right. Going to try and run it today, stock, with 3S batteries.

Yes, I just finished putting it together last night. What a royal pain in the but. Directions are useless (not even for this boat) and nothing seemed to want to work right. Going to try and run it today, stock, with 3S batteries.
    Great. Also, observe the cooling lines for kinks, especially above the rudder.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

Thanks for the tip. I did notice that was a bit tight by the rudder. I was already wondering if there is an upgraded rudder. I hope I have all the cooking lines hooked up right. No directions on what's input/output on motor/esc.

Zooma, Started a new thread on the Princess with review/video.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ht=#post638310

I have both an Impulse V1 (Leopard 4074 1800kv) and the HK Lucas Oil Outerlimits (stock 3650 2000kv). The HK Outerlimits is a few inches longer then the Impulse, but, I believe it's the bow design that allows it to perform better in rough water at my lake then the Impulse.
    Pete

Motley Crew, Impulse 31, Zonda Cat, Genesis, Aqua Rider tug, E-Revo Brushless, Slash4x4

So I’ve just purchased a Triton 32“ n I’m having trouble setting up the electronics on it, were do I put the battery n the ESC, I was thinking of putting the battery on the left side of the boat were the selfrighting chamber is n the ESC just in front off the motor on the right side of the boat, look forward to hearing from u Kipper........

I built a Triton NoStep for a customer to be used with a 4S2P battery configuration - tight quarters but I stacked the ESC on top of the motor mount [custom mount from RearwheelinRandy] -triton 1 DSC02723.JPGTriton 7 DSC02781.JPG

laid in battery trays & mounted 4S 5000's

Triton 5 DSC02779.JPGTriton 6 DSC02780.JPG

found a nice home for the servo

Triton 9 DSC02774.JPG
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono