Thread: why is aquacraft not picking up there game?

Default why is aquacraft not picking up there game?

I know that Mike is not with aquacraft anymore but they need to step up there game like proboat or be left behind in the r.t.r. market. What you all think?

I strongly agree. Proboat is several versions ahead on most of their fleet now and offering new self righting/ larger crafts. Not to mention that they (Proboat) have more new items in the works, coming soon!

Hello Aquacraft!?!

Just because they have not released anything lately doesn't mean they are not working on something
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

I doubt they're working on anything. It's possible I suppose. I don't know anyone on the inside anymore.

AQ let the talent that put them on the map slip through their fingers. AQ is owned by Great Planes. GP was unable to retain Mike Z (Grimracer). Totally just my understanding but it basically came down to Mike needing a change and corporate insisting "this is how we do it". They'll be hard pressed to find anyone with Mike's talent. Quite frankly......I don't think I know anyone with Mike's skill set that also has as much passion for modelling. He's not just a boat guy either. Modelling is an art form to him. Then if they do find someone they'll need that guy to be willing to join them on their terms. I'm not sure that's possible.

Sad really. AQ and Grimm have done a lot for the hobby and racing in my opinion. I don't know where they're going. Maybe someone will chime in that knows more than I do.
    Noisy person

Correction.......I think it's Hobbico that owns AQ.
    Noisy person

or maybe the RTR crowd needs to step THEIR game up and start building boats themselves....

the VS1 is a great kit to begin with.....

Besides, the UL-1 has made huge contributions to the hobby that in my opinion, RTRs normally dont .

Vs1?

Well if they ever discontinue their gold motors it should send a tizzy fit all through the spec racing class, IF it ever happens. I never liked their hulls, hate the box construction but, to each their own...
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by nichismo View Post
    or maybe the RTR crowd needs to step THEIR game up and start building boats themselves....

the VS1 is a great kit to begin with.....

Besides, the UL-1 has made huge contributions to the hobby that in my opinion, RTRs normally dont .
    Looked this boat up on tower sight. Have sport hydros not tunnels.

We need all the competition we can get...

I was the greatest Aquacraft fan, love my Lucas Oil except for the box construction prevents easy repairs and the stock hull cracked way too easily at unmodified speeds.

The Revolt 30 is probably the most loved boat in my local pond.

But going on their site, all you see are the same old boats from as far back as 2011 like the UL-1. Great boat, have one myself, but how about something new? Last new FE boat was the Lucas Oil, nothing since then.

However, Aquacraft still supplies quick, quality RTR boats in the $300 range, making them attainable to those who are still curious but haven't fully bought into the RC boating scene. Proboats are more expensive, at $400 and $500 for their newest boat. I would not have moved up to building my own boats without having the "seat time" on my Lucas Oil, Revolt 30 and UL-1.

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Well if they ever discontinue their gold motors it should send a tizzy fit all through the spec racing class, IF it ever happens. I never liked their hulls, hate the box construction but, to each their own...
    Sadly there really will come a point that "limited" will be replaced by something else. Today, tomorrow, next season? I don't have a clue. Proboat doesn't give a rip about limited racing and Aquacraft doesn't have anyone in house that even knows what that is anymore. That's my impression by the way. It's not company line from either Proboat or AQ.

It's going to take some careful consideration and pretty good timing to get that next phase right. The problem will be the same too. Commit to a any one motor or even a handful of them and we're at their mercy. If they decide that they can save a few bucks on shellac or ABEC1 bearings we get what we get. The motors change. We (racers) don't and never will be able to dictate manufacturers specifications. Racers make up such an itty bitty percentage of the market that we have little influence. Decisions are made based on math and not on racer desires.

We've seen this from multiple manufacturers that we were committed too thus far. They all make changes.

Back in the 700 brushed motor days, Mabuchi produced a batch of special motors for a vendor that bought a bunch of them. That motor suddenly was the only motor to have. Your existing stuff was obsolete. Screwed up the works.

Some AQ changes were so subtle that they only showed up if you were already close to the edge.

Proboat actually changed motor suppliers. Dumped their whole line of motors. Those were the best spec motors yet. They didn't check with us. haha Why would they though? We (racers again) don't buy enough product to influence their bottom line.

IMPBA D4 might be on the right path but it's going to take a larger sampling (guessing here) to sell everyone on the idea. It would be stellar if we could get NAMBA and IMPBA to buy a pallet each of the 3630 1950 kv that D4 runs. Or something like it. Then sell them to members only for the next 5 years or so.

I so wish I had a crystal ball to predict where these manufacturers were going.
    Noisy person

To bad,Racing, like cars, boats , planes brings out the best innovation.

mike is not with aquacraft anymore? when did he leave?

is the lucas oil better than the new geico 29 v3? faster? more stable?

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Sadly there really will come a point that "limited" will be replaced by something else. Today, tomorrow, next season? I don't have a clue. Proboat doesn't give a rip about limited racing and Aquacraft doesn't have anyone in house that even knows what that is anymore. That's my impression by the way. It's not company line from either Proboat or AQ.

It's going to take some careful consideration and pretty good timing to get that next phase right. The problem will be the same too. Commit to a any one motor or even a handful of them and we're at their mercy. If they decide that they can save a few bucks on shellac or ABEC1 bearings we get what we get. The motors change. We (racers) don't and never will be able to dictate manufacturers specifications. Racers make up such an itty bitty percentage of the market that we have little influence. Decisions are made based on math and not on racer desires.

We've seen this from multiple manufacturers that we were committed too thus far. They all make changes.

Back in the 700 brushed motor days, Mabuchi produced a batch of special motors for a vendor that bought a bunch of them. That motor suddenly was the only motor to have. Your existing stuff was obsolete. Screwed up the works.

Some AQ changes were so subtle that they only showed up if you were already close to the edge.

Proboat actually changed motor suppliers. Dumped their whole line of motors. Those were the best spec motors yet. They didn't check with us. haha Why would they though? We (racers again) don't buy enough product to influence their bottom line.

IMPBA D4 might be on the right path but it's going to take a larger sampling (guessing here) to sell everyone on the idea. It would be stellar if we could get NAMBA and IMPBA to buy a pallet each of the 3630 1950 kv that D4 runs. Or something like it. Then sell them to members only for the next 5 years or so.

I so wish I had a crystal ball to predict where these manufacturers were going.
    I agree all motors have made changes even Neu. They tripped a bit with the silicone wire thing but, since then they are back to the windings out the back.
    Neu has a great spec motor and Neu is the most consistent motor builder second only to Lehner or Plettenberg maybe.
    This is the motor and I've mentioned it before: http://neumotors.cartloom.com/shop/item/25324 at least you can call Steve and give feedback and you can trust him more than others.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Might be worth a conversation with him to actually develop a spec. Just have him make the exact motor we want and say "that's the one, please keep them on the shelf". IDK Just thinking out loud.

The timing is a big deal. We would also need to be very careful to not render all existing motors useless. It's such a fragile thing in my opinion.

Although thinking back, when we went to the AQ and PB motors originally there were few concerned about keeping the 700 motors viable. I was probably one of those guys now that I think about it.

We sure left brushed motors for dead too. See ya! Nobody cared about us Nimh guys when Lipo came along either. haha
    Noisy person

haha We should just send him a 2030. Tell him to make that around 1900kv only bullet proof..........please. I do love the mesh wrapped wires that TP uses though. Tough stuff and it looks pretty sweet too.

I still like the idea that a guy can go in to the local hobby shop and buy a boat. Then in conversation with the store discover "wait, there's a group of local yahoos that race these things?" If he has to immediately go buy another motor, solder connectors on it, do some wrenching, straight away.............well, it's just an extra hurdle. If it's easy to give it a go we have a shot.

It's that ease getting out there that first time that has been the key to our clubs success. Part of it at least. Once they get out there they either dig it or they don't. Racing isn't for everyone. Wait, racing is for everyone! Some are just in denial! hahaha

We can teach them how to wrench, make changes, the mathematics even. We can't get them good n' addicted if getting on the water initially is a PIA.
    Noisy person

I agree with all of this....My first few boats were AQ, and I still have a couple of them. I now have gotten into the next phase of boating, by building my own, but it's the RTR boat that got me going. I would also like to see AQ get on the ball and continue to make racing-style boats, not just scale tugboats and airboats. Also, they need to lay at least one extra layer of glass in their hulls because those puppies are THIN! Haha!
    ProBoat's hulls are far superior in layup quality IMO. It's not even close.