Thread: Water Cooled Batteries

Default Water Cooled Batteries

I don't know how long they have been on the market, but I just noticed Venom has water cooled batteries for sale. Any one have any input on them? One boat I have 45C batteries in and they are the highest temp item in the boat. I don't have the room to run 2P. But this got me thinking that 0.020 - 0.040 thk copper sheet between cells that has copper tubing soldered to it for water cooling would draw the heat away from the cells. What do you think?
    41" & 29" FE Aeromarine Sprint Cats, Quickdraw powered "Dollar Eater" 41" Insane Cat, 29" BL mod Graupner Cat, 24" Hydro, 29" OB Cat, BL mod NQD Tear Into Jet boat, 55" Scarab, JET SWEEP R/C pool skimmer Rescue Boat.

Worthless
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

A marketing joke...Lipos need to get warm to give max performance.

How hot do yours get?

If your batteries are getting hot then that's usually a sign of an under powered battery for your setup.....if that's the only thing getting hot. Or the connectors could be inadequate. You didn't state what they were so I'm just throwing it out there. Or the wires could be too long or too small.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Bullet connectors are cool as are wires along with ESC and motor. The batteries are two 3S 5200 45C which is 235 amps. That should be enough to get the T180 ESC and leo 4082 1500kv spinning a M545 warm. One good pass and ESC goes into low voltage mode. I disable low voltage protection make a couple passes and the batteries get too hot. 145 is too hot in my thinking. I am looking into new batts. Thinking of running four 3S 3300mah 60C Turnigy heavy duty batts in 6S config. That should give me 396 available amps. That's if the C ratings are true. Without the weight of going 10,000 mah. This is in my 29" Sprint Cat. (same lower hull as mean machine)
    41" & 29" FE Aeromarine Sprint Cats, Quickdraw powered "Dollar Eater" 41" Insane Cat, 29" BL mod Graupner Cat, 24" Hydro, 29" OB Cat, BL mod NQD Tear Into Jet boat, 55" Scarab, JET SWEEP R/C pool skimmer Rescue Boat.

What brand batts? Are you currently running them in parallel?

I saw a few people using cooling plates for LiPos at the Naviga worlds 2 years ago, in Naviga racing we have a set runtime and, a maximum battery weight which limits capacity and thus power, we leave a LOT less than the usually reccomended 20% left in out batteries as the less you leave the faster you go. Batteries do get hot at the end of their discharge even if they are well up to the task so we can't fully drain them or the will die on that run, some watercool thier LiPos and are able to discharge their LiPos a little further and get a little extra power, it is still very contraversial though whether the extra power gained is more than the extra power consumed by carrying the weight of the plates and water. I dont see myself using them anytime soon, and they certainly aren't for most people, but not totally worthless.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    What brand batts? Are you currently running them in parallel?
    They are two 3S 5200 mah 45C Hobby Fans batteries running in series. I know not a "name brand". But thought since they are rated at 234 amps continuous they should be able to provide 150-180 in use. Which i believe they did for the first 5 cycles. But now are fading fast. They are not puffed at all either. How long can you leave a batt in the full charged state? I have charged them planning to go to the lake. Plans got changed and didn't use them for 10 days. Would this damage lipos?

While leaving cells fully charged will degrade their capacity with time, IME ten days is nothing. The problem is cheap, lousy cells, sorry.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Well I bought four Zippy 3S 3000mah 40C packs to run in 6S2P 6000mah configuration. Managed to do this for $65 out of USA East Warehouse. The West Warehouse the same packs are + $4 each. Don't understand why. I hope they are at least 30C in reality and have 180 amps available continuously. Do Zippy packs hold up if pushed to 75% of their rating? I only charge at 1C on any packs.

Running the four Zippy batts I got a GPS verified 55 MPH with a M 545 prop. Tried a carbon 45mm three blade and promptly destroyed it. Just could't take the loading