Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pursuit users chime in please!

Quote Originally Posted by SD Eracer View Post
    I ran a Leopard 4082 2200kv on 5S on my Pursuit, it would reach about 67 mph but would chine walk like crazy due to the torque. I installed larger turn fins from TFL and the boat stabilized perfectly, though it dropped top speed by about 5 mph. On 4S the boat would go 54 mph.
    Turn fins are for turning, shouldn't touch the water when running straight. Not sure how they stopped chine walk..

Quote Originally Posted by oscarel View Post
    Turn fins are for turning, shouldn't touch the water when running straight. Not sure how they stopped chine walk..
    Unfortunately I had to cheat a little. The turn fins are just long enough to just touch the water, hence the lower top speed.

It's not the right way to fix a chine walk issue, I took the easy way out for a quick fix, but it works for now until I have a chance to tune it properly.

I ran a Leopard 4082 2200kv on 5S on my Pursuit, it would reach about 67 mph but would chine walk like crazy due to the torque. I installed larger turn fins from TFL and the boat stabilized perfectly, though it dropped top speed by about 5 mph. On 4S the boat would go 54 mph.
    Would you say what prop got you to 54MPH on 4S? I'm only getting 46 on an M445 on 4S with a TP Power 2200 motor.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Would you say what prop got you to 54MPH on 4S? I'm only getting 46 on an M445 on 4S with a TP Power 2200 motor.
    The Octura X642, sharpened and balanced decently will get me 54 mph on GPS with cheap Turnigy 2S (x2) 5000mAh 40C/50C batteries.

However, the Leopard 4082 2200kv motor is a amp hog of a motor, and will puff those batteries a little bit beyond a 2 minute run.

I am planning on switching over to my Leopard 4082 1600kv on 6S. I won't have the same top speed on 5S with the 2200, but it will still hit 60mph and a lot less stress on my batteries.

I am also running a .187 single piece flexshaft, Seaking 180a, 8mm connectors, and a battery bag instead of a tray so my batteries sit 1/2 lower in the hull.

Default I felt the need for a little more speed!

After running a trio of Revolt 30's last summer and having a blast I ordered a HK Pursuit and spent a few months over the winter building it.

After much online research I upgraded to a Leopard 4074 2150 kv, Seaking 180 esc, one piece flex from Kintec and a sharpened and balanced stock Revolt 30 prop. Batteries are 2s Thunder Power 70c 5000 mah in series placed side by side with Castle 8mm bullets and a Futaba 3PM-X radio.

I also cut a short piece of latex tubing to seal the gap between the transom and the stinger.

I was able to do two test runs so far under glass calm conditions last week at the cottage and the Pursuit is everything I had hoped for in a faster boat. Handles beautifully and came back with not a drop in the hull and no overheating of any of the components.

The roar of the Leopard, the rooster tail, the speed, my hands were literally shaking when I brought it in after each run

The Pursuit handles beautifully at full speed but run time is limited to just under 3 minutes before the LVC kicks in so I think the next upgrade will be 2 4s packs in parallel. Right now I have the LVC set conservatively at 3.4 v per cell so I may reprogram the esc for 3.2v and see if I can get a full 3 minute run time with the current battery setup.

This boat is just plain scary fast fun!

Cheers and have a great summer FE boating!

Quote Originally Posted by Capt'n Crash View Post
    After running a trio of Revolt 30's last summer and having a blast I ordered a HK Pursuit and spent a few months over the winter building it.

After much online research I upgraded to a Leopard 4074 2150 kv, Seaking 180 esc, one piece flex from Kintec and a sharpened and balanced stock Revolt 30 prop. Batteries are 2s Thunder Power 70c 5000 mah in series placed side by side with Castle 8mm bullets and a Futaba 3PM-X radio.

I also cut a short piece of latex tubing to seal the gap between the transom and the stinger.

I was able to do two test runs so far under glass calm conditions last week at the cottage and the Pursuit is everything I had hoped for in a faster boat. Handles beautifully and came back with not a drop in the hull and no overheating of any of the components.

The roar of the Leopard, the rooster tail, the speed, my hands were literally shaking when I brought it in after each run

The Pursuit handles beautifully at full speed but run time is limited to just under 3 minutes before the LVC kicks in so I think the next upgrade will be 2 4s packs in parallel. Right now I have the LVC set conservatively at 3.4 v per cell so I may reprogram the esc for 3.2v and see if I can get a full 3 minute run time with the current battery setup.

This boat is just plain scary fast fun!

Cheers and have a great summer FE boating!
    I did the same thing, went from a Revolt 30 to a Pursuit. Main reason is I liked using a 4082 Leopard can, and the Pursuit was a better platform for it.

With the setup you have, you are about 50mph or so range on 4S. If you go 5S, you will get around 60mph, but that motor is capable of 6S if you choose in the future. As for the lipo cutoff, don't set it too low that the batteries puff or drain beyond 20% of capacity, wont' be worth those extra few seconds of runtime. Stick to whatever cutoff leaves you with about 20% or more capacity and non-puffed batteries.

However, I highly recommend you reinforce your hull and canopy, even at the speeds your running now. My brand new Pursuit cracked a large seem on the left side from just a minor roll over at less than 50mph.

Just use some fiberglass cloth strips and resin to reinforce each seam, and also do a fiberglass layup for the canopy which is already very flimsy.

I recently had a 65 mph flip and roll with zero damage after these minor reinforcements.

Also, another tip is to make sure you blue loctite the bolts holding the stinger on the stinger mount, and the bolts holding on the stinger adjustment rod. These things will unloosen quickly otherwise.

The Octura X642, sharpened and balanced decently will get me 54 mph on GPS with cheap Turnigy 2S (x2) 5000mAh 40C/50C batteries.

However, the Leopard 4082 2200kv motor is a amp hog of a motor, and will puff those batteries a little bit beyond a 2 minute run.

I am planning on switching over to my Leopard 4082 1600kv on 6S. I won't have the same top speed on 5S with the 2200, but it will still hit 60mph and a lot less stress on my batteries.

I am also running a .187 single piece flexshaft, Seaking 180a, 8mm connectors, and a battery bag instead of a tray so my batteries sit 1/2 lower in the hull.
    Thanks. I understand how you can get the extra MPH on that prop. I would think that both Leopard and TP Power motors of similar size and 2200 kv would draw about the same amps, when similarly loaded. I don't know what my current draw is, but I have raced the boat within my club for a couple of seasons and not puffed my batts. I think I'll play it safe and leave the M445 on there.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Thanks. I understand how you can get the extra MPH on that prop. I would think that both Leopard and TP Power motors of similar size and 2200 kv would draw about the same amps, when similarly loaded. I don't know what my current draw is, but I have raced the boat within my club for a couple of seasons and not puffed my batts. I think I'll play it safe and leave the M445 on there.
    Actually, the puffing of batteries happens with that motor regardless of the prop.

I don't see that much of a difference in the performance with the Pursuit running the Octura M445, X642 or Grimracer 42x55. I get pretty much similar speeds and temps with either of these props on the Pursuit. The Octura M545 is a different story, that prop will make my motor and ESC quite hot with only a few mph improvement.

What's weird is that the 4082 2200kv doesn't puff batteries on 5S, even though they are the same brand and C rating as my 2S batteries it does puff on 4S. I was just going to run the Pursuit on 5S, but I don't want to invest in a bunch of 5S batteries when I got a whole bunch of heavy duty 3S batteries. Running a 1600kv on 6S is a few mph slower than the 2200kv on 5S, but more convenient for me.

Puffing has to do with the load you put on the lipo. Also, it may not be the last run that caused it. One sure way to puff them is to put a load on a depleted lipo.

Also, a 545 should put more of a strain as it's overall pitch is close to a 448

m545 45mm (1.85") x 1.5 = 2.655"
    x448 1.4x1.90=2.660"

Default pursuit help

what motor mount are you useing i have a Turnigy 3660-3180kv and i want to fit in the Pursuit,their is one on kintec racing for 36-40mm size motors is the one in the pic the same and if so how did you get it to fit.

Mine is the pre-built Hobby King version. This is the one they use here in this link. Should fit just about any mono. You just pick the one with the 36mm ring for your 3660

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=ose-80995

Just got back from by FAR the best run my Pursuit has ever had! Jamey, I read one of your post the other day about adding trim tab. Well, I have been the same way. I have left them neutral since I got it(not wanting to slow it down any) and no matter what I have tried it has been a hand full to drive on anything but glass water. Not tonight! I added just a little bit of trim tab and now this thing is glued to the water! It was a little bit choppy tonight and this thing did not even come close to acting crazy. Got in a ton of full throttle passes and didn't have to go kayaking once! I'm a happy guy right now! Love this forum!
    Pursuit: T-180, TP 4060/1620kv. Genesis: T-180, GoolRC 2000kv. UL-1: Bone stock. MHZ Tsunami: Full tilt SAW project!

OK, I'm reading the tea leaves here, and now I have to try lowering the tabs. I wasn't going to fool with it right away, but I just found out that the next club race is two Saturdays away, so I can experiment on a couple of practice days. Our small practice lake has a round course. The objective is to go round and round at full throttle without flipping.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

I recommend going down only about 1/4 turn at a time and testing. When you get close it doesn't take much. Really I guess you want the least amount of tab to do the job.

Dan, how you liking that new motor? How many cells are you running?

The new motor is running good. Tons of power! Still just on 4s. I am going to do some more tweeking this week and get some gps numbers. Got some nice stuff on the way from ose including an abc 1715-17 prop. I'm dying to up the voltage but obviously I still have a lot to learn about setting up a mono first. Huge step in the right direction tonight though!
    Pursuit: T-180, TP 4060/1620kv. Genesis: T-180, GoolRC 2000kv. UL-1: Bone stock. MHZ Tsunami: Full tilt SAW project!

At the lower voltage (lower speed) it is possible you won't see a gain with that prop. It may possibly be a little slower since you went down in diameter, curious to find out. But as you up the voltage and speed it should start to shine. The abc props do better at the top end of the speed range it seems. The first thing you will notice the bite getting on plane is a little lacking but it is not a big deal.

I am using the 1914 and with my 1480kv at 4S it was only 1 mph or so faster than the M445. I was really surprised because the 1914 makes the m445 look tiny. But as I upped the voltage the spread increased. 5S was 5mph. 6S about 7mph on average. I think the 1814 should be a good model to coincide with the m445 as well.

Woot! The water was perfect tonight and I was able to get in several runs. Hit 47.3 with the Nano Techs. Swapped in the Revolectrics and hit 50.2(my goal on 4s!) with no other change. Everything came in cooler also. Mega happy with that! 4s, 1620kv and m445.

Wow that is way faster than expected. You sure that new motor is 1620? lol

That would be 100% efficiency and only like 11% slip. Pretty amazing. My 1480kv only went 39 with a m445!
    Last edited by Jamey; 08-26-2015 at 10:32 PM. Reason: More info

Well, I was pretty sure but... I got it from the swap shop from member "zhevers". That's what he said it was. I looked all over it but didn't find any numbers or anything. Hmmm, now that you mention it that does sound like a lot! It went 41.3 with the stock motor and unbalanced m445 on the Nano Techs. I have since shortened and knife edged the rudder, gotten the prop dialed in and of course added the TP motor. Think that would be worth 6 mph with the same KV and batteries?

41mph would be about right for 1620. I would estimate your new motor around a 2000kv +/-100. Doesn't really matter it's just that 5s and especially 6s will be pretty hot if that really is the case. Use caution when and if you up the volts.

Try a 1914 or 1915 and you be close to 60mph on 4s!

Sooooooo.... I just pulled the trigger on a couple of Revo 3s packs...

I'll be careful. Everything came in around 85* with the Revos(50 mph pass) so I think I still have some room. Also, after seeing what kfxguy has been doing with the SF300s I'm on the lookout for one of those now. Insane!

When I order revos I'll probably do 6S2P with a couple 6S 4200mah. I am already using 7200mah 60C batteries so I would hate to drop down to only 5500 plus I think a little extra weight will be nice.

85? lol Must be nice. We're still pushing the 100's here with water temps at about 90. My motor is a good 10 degrees warmer than yours before I even connect the batteries Yeah I would say you are doing just fine. How long did you run?

So did you get your hatch water tight without tape? I think that will be my next project. Tape is a pita but I get zero water in the hull sitting upside down. Oh and has your motor mount busted loose yet? If it hasn't it probably will lol . I soaked mine in acetone to clean the old glue off and epoxied it back. Holding good so far.

Yeah, it just started cooling off here in middle TN a few days ago. Not sure what the water temp is but it's still more than fine to swim in. I didn't run it long. Made 2-3 passes each time and brought it in. I did take it back out and beat on it some more with the Revos. Everything was cool but the ESC. It was getting a little warm. I wasn't driving it very nicely though!

Still working on the hatch seal thing. It's not quite touching in the middle of either side. The hull is just not made perfect. The tape I used is only 1/8" tall so that doesn't leave much room for things to be off. Hmmm....

My stock motor mount is still holding strong. It's epoxied in there pretty good! We'll see how long it lasts...

Also, just got my parts in from OSE!!! Super fast shipping and got an email confirmation. Very happy with that!

Going to be adding an MBP collet and trying out this wicked looking ABC 1715 prop!

A while ago, I reduced my flipping by moving the CG forward, but lost a few MPH. Thanks to the recent advice on this thread, I lowered my tabs twice, while moving the CG back, and restored the speed. Made two runs today without flipping.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

I am very curious to hear how that abc prop does. I am thinking it will be a little faster but just a guess. The m445 really is a good prop in my opinion. I am positive the 1814 would be faster just not sure about the smaller diameter 1715. The suspense is killing me

Yeah zooma, I went through a little bit of work getting my cg moved forward. I only wish I would have tested tab adjustment first. Probably would have saved me the trouble

Just tried out the 1715 and it picked up a bit of speed(51.0) and ran cooler vs. the M445. It did slip pretty good but I can deal with that. 4S of course. I missed FedEx today(they have my 3S Revos) so 5S isn't far off. Still, I'm happy with 50+ mph and under 100* temps in play mode. Also, since I have learned how to adjust the trim tabs it hasn't wrecked of flipped one time! Sweet!

Any advice on stinger adjustment? Mine is set with just a tad bit of negative angle. I might try it level and see how it does...

I did the same thing, went from a Revolt 30 to a Pursuit. Main reason is I liked using a 4082 Leopard can, and the Pursuit was a better platform for it.

With the setup you have, you are about 50mph or so range on 4S. If you go 5S, you will get around 60mph, but that motor is capable of 6S if you choose in the future. As for the lipo cutoff, don't set it too low that the batteries puff or drain beyond 20% of capacity, wont' be worth those extra few seconds of runtime. Stick to whatever cutoff leaves you with about 20% or more capacity and non-puffed batteries.

However, I highly recommend you reinforce your hull and canopy, even at the speeds your running now. My brand new Pursuit cracked a large seem on the left side from just a minor roll over at less than 50mph.

Just use some fiberglass cloth strips and resin to reinforce each seam, and also do a fiberglass layup for the canopy which is already very flimsy.

I recently had a 65 mph flip and roll with zero damage after these minor reinforcements.

Also, another tip is to make sure you blue loctite the bolts holding the stinger on the stinger mount, and the bolts holding on the stinger adjustment rod. These things will unloosen quickly otherwise.
    Thanks for the tips SD. I think I will keep it to 4s as I like being in the 50 MPH neighborhood.

I've been keeping a close eye on all the nuts and bolts and so far nothing has come loose or gone missing during the adjustment phase.

Battery capacity after a run is 38% so I will not be changing the LVC.

I've had several more runs since I posted last and everything is running great, no rollovers, cracks or spidering of the hull paint so far and the batteries and electronics are holding up just fine.

I have this winter to do some hull reinforcement as you suggest and I'll be adding some plywood battery trays to the hull to take two 4s packs on either side of the motor for better run times.

I'm very pleased with this boat and I think my Revolt 30's are jealous of the Pursuit by now

Happy FE boating!

Hello,
    in pursuit with motor 4082 1600kV, what is better battery choice, 2x3S 5000mAh 90C in serial or 1x 6S 5000mAh 70C?
    Tnx

My esc is located just in front of the motor so i found it easier to balance the boat center of gravity by having two batteries on either side of the motor. Much more room to adjust them forward or backward in that configuration.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12