Thread: A nifty $15 cooling system tester

Default A nifty $15 cooling system tester

As the saying goes: necessity is the mother of all inventions. Had a water leak in my system and needed to test and while I was in my garage I saw my small fountain pump that I hadn't replaced yet. cut the top of package and used that as water tub, It came with several size fittings, then used some fairly large o.d hose that I got from a RC cooling kit that I had. worked it in the pump fitting, added a few drops of super glue and pushed in a bit more. connected hose to transom fitting, dropped pump in package tub and plugged in ac cord. To my amazement it looked to have the same output flow while running. Found my leak. This would be a great portable tester as long as you have access to a AC power source. Tetra® 75 GPH Fountain Pump, part #0204500 I got this at menards. Just a FYI that could maybe help boat racers. https://www.menards.com/main/store/2...0_75_pump2.jpg Hope this helps someone!
    SW26 V3 Green 35mph , Swifter Hydro 26. Delta Force 35. cars ,3 Rustlers 45-76 Mph.

Nice thanks for the info

Cool

Welcome to the forum. Checking the date I see that this thread is seven years old, the link posted above doesn?t work and the OP hasn?t been back to the forum in a year. He won?t see you kind post.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I use a 2-liter plastic bottle and the top. fit the top with a through-hull fitting and a piece of silicon tube.

Attach to your boat, and then fill the bottle with water and squeeze.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Checking the date I see that this thread is seven years old, the link posted above doesn?t work and the OP hasn?t been back to the forum in a year. He won?t see you kind post.
    New user, and has a history of bumping very old threads.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

This is the easiest leak tester, Fill with water, connect output hose from rudder to the hose nipple,
    Put finger over output from boat to create some back pressure. Push on syringe.
    Works every time.

Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Larry, your system is simple and effective. I like it. As an alternative I use the "kitchen sink special"

Make a little gadget,

aose1.jpg

hook it to the sink,

aose2.jpg

and plug in to the input from the rudder.

aose4.jpg

Serves the dual purpose of both finding boat leaks and (if flow gets too out of hand) - testing wetsuits and kitchen floor mops
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Tony - If my wife caught me with that hooked up to the kitchen sink, I would be walking funny for a long time.
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet