Thread: Water proof servo

Default Water proof servo

So my Spartan will sink in about 30 seconds,even with the hatch tapped ,when it's upside down,so the servo always gets ruined ,so,how do I water proof a water proof traxxas ,or any other servo? Silicone the end caps,how do you seal the spline ,pack it with marine grease ? O ring under the cap or on top of the cap but under the horn ? Or is it not possible when they are under water?help please

Get a Savox waterproof servo.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by MG1234 View Post
    So my Spartan will sink in about 30 seconds,even with the hatch tapped ,when it's upside down,so the servo always gets ruined ,so,how do I water proof a water proof traxxas ,or any other servo? Silicone the end caps,how do you seal the spline ,pack it with marine grease ? O ring under the cap or on top of the cap but under the horn ? Or is it not possible when they are under water?help please
    How can you ruin a trx servo??? i had one in my Rio EP that passed three days under water and it is still running in my Pursuit. That same trx servo was in my summit at first. Maybe the servo is not the problem...?

If you boat is sinking in 30 seconds when upside down and taped, i would check if the hull have some leaks around the deck and bottom hull, all around, and put silicone all around it.

my 2 cents.

After it sinking so many times, why are you still running it without making sure it is water tight?
    Z
    KBB34" Mono - Fast
    ToySport Triton- Not as fast

It's a spartan ,it's impossible to make it water tight ,you would need to see the hatch and how it fits ,but enough about that ,new boat on the way ,on my 3rd servo ,14$ on eBay ,just wanted to know if there was a way to seal them up ,I'll check out savox ,I run those in my short course trucks ,thanks

just wanted to know if there was a way to seal them up
    I gave you the way to seal your boat, sorry you decided to spend more money on a new boat so fast. Good luck, maybe the next one will be better that your first one!

As long as I didn't get it upside down its fine ,when I go to the lake I do 5 runs and then I'm out of batteries ,but there are jet skis and boats running also,so there are wakes and ripples all over,I got a big cat ,just want to make a change and not spend any more time on that boat ,thanks for the tips ,

It is ok, but i would not have give up on a 500+$ boat so easily.

Never run fast boats where people are in the water, no radio is infalable and your fun is not worth their safety.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

You can have a look at this video with quite a few ideas on Waterproofing Electronics.

To waterproof a servo, I undo the case screws, fill the top of the servo with grease, especially around the output shaft. Then I reassemble the servo using sealant, usually rtv silicone. Make sure to seal around the wires also. Hang it up until the sealant is cured.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Watch the utube video on corrosion X ,it's unbielvable ,

Corrosion X is not the best solution as it wears off eventually. The best permanent "do and forget it" solution is go to Walmart, or Home Depot and get a spray can or a small can of Rust-Oleum LeakSeal Rubber Coating. I have used it on a RX and TX and ESC's and it's great stuff. It's easy to apply with from the can with a brush, or dip which I have been doing. It's a permanent solution and have yet to see it fail. It's hard to get off too which is ideal. It's non corrosive, can't be wiped off, waterproof, paintable and flexible, does not crack and non conductive. It dries clear so it will not block any LED displays either like the Plasti Dip stuff that is black colored, which can be peeled off. That stuff is better for something less permanent.

I need to seal a stronger servo than a traxxas,I have a strong savox,it will be face up so the shaft will need to be sealed ,grease the inside ,silicone the seam ,but will the grease seal the shaft? I've got the Spartan dialed ,red plastic construction tape same as the clear tape ,just wider,now it can float upside down all it wants ,still have it as a back up,building anouther twin which needs the strong servo ,help please,

Grease doesn't 'seal' the shaft, but if you pack the gear case then water cannot get down into the electronics. It is still better to stop the water getting into the boat. Essentially the waterproofing we do is to save our gear should the boat get a lot of water in it. In normal use there shouldn't be any more than a small amount of water getting in, none is best, so mostly things only need to be water resistant. But...as we know water will find ways in at times, so it is just ensuring that the water can be tipped out and boating can continue because it didn't get into the electrical boards. Sealing the circuit boards as SweetAccord has suggested takes things a step further (better).
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    Grease doesn't 'seal' the shaft, but if you pack the gear case then water cannot get down into the electronics. It is still better to stop the water getting into the boat. Essentially the waterproofing we do is to save our gear should the boat get a lot of water in it. In normal use there shouldn't be any more than a small amount of water getting in, none is best, so mostly things only need to be water resistant. But...as we know water will find ways in at times, so it is just ensuring that the water can be tipped out and boating can continue because it didn't get into the electrical boards. Sealing the circuit boards as SweetAccord has suggested takes things a step further (better).
    Agreed in the best cases yes, but if you crash or the boat flips or other possible things happen like the hatch comes off etc, more than a drip may/will get in, so you want to protect as much as you can cause you never know. Motors don't need protection, but all circuits do, reciever, ESC, servo's.

I hit something once with my mini hydro (think it was a turtle) and it was upside down for a while. The hatch tape eventually gave away from the water, and water flooded the hull. Nothing was damaged, and that's the idea. Sure you can make it water resistant, but waterproof is just better unless you know you will never have a bad run or more than a drop or two get inside the hull.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    Never run fast boats where people are in the water, no radio is infalable and your fun is not worth their safety.
    But it's a good quick way to give someone a haircut! LOL

Right ,with the shaft up it will be prone to drips leaking in around the shaft ,I had heard about installing an O ring ,but I'll try your way ,thanks

Right ,with the shaft up it will be prone to drips leaking in around the shaft ,I had heard about installing an O ring ,but I'll try your way ,thanks
    Another way is to pack the servo gear side and electronics (back side) with Marine Dielectric grease and add a silicone shock ring under the servo horn. When adding grease in the gear area, don't go crazy. Just pack in where water can enter in. This also keeps the gears lubed.

Attached Images Attached Images

the best presented vid i have seen,( oh i know there are others) but it's good to see good guys without all the BS, swearing and nonsense and horrible music. these guys were hecka fun and did an excellent job. i didn't realize Corrosion HD was that much better. i've used the regular for many years and for the SpeedX for slot cars, fishing reels.

Yea I agree you need to make sure all is sealed up!! Worrying about the internal parts would be the second in row for preventing problems before running. Some of my boats have been upside down or the bow bobbing for a half hour or more. Telling me the upside down one was sealed good, and the sealing of electronics was good on the one that the hatch broke in half. Check your cooling lines for leakage too!
    SW26 V3 Green 35mph , Swifter Hydro 26. Delta Force 35. cars ,3 Rustlers 45-76 Mph.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Get a Savox waterproof servo.
    Old thread. Looking back.

Tons of torque but I've had a number of these waterproof Savox fail. Water inside. I think the Hitec with the blue cases might be better.

Anybody tried one of these?
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/ecopowe...p-120t/p734714
    Noisy person

I use Hitec MG servos both digital and analog.
    Take the bottom cover off and fill it with Corrosion X
    I have had many boats fill with water after a bad flip or a broken water line inside the boat.
    I have never had a servo die on me yet.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

the Crawlers are using them in there rigs i want one, just one to try. those guys go thru many servos. i have two crawlers, but i do not use them that much just over sized models for me.
    just pinned over at RC Crawler about the P120t.
    nice find.

has any one used an 'O" Ring below the Horn? i did once using a o ring from a buggy shock build kit that were leftovers, read some where and gave it a try this was way before i knew to use whats been posted here. did that application work? yes, how well? i don't know never got that buggy that wet to find out and i believe i'll put an o ring on one of the boats. i think after doing what has been mentioned here should suffice and how long these lil' daddy O's would hold up to the twisting motion. eventually squeeze and rip out old, rubber band cracked or?
    somethn' else to lube and replace, kinda of the reason i never put them on any thing else.