Thread: can any one tell me, about this boat I got on Craigslist for $20.00

Default can any one tell me, about this boat I got on Craigslist for $20.00

I found this wooden boat on Craigslist and it 42'' long and had a Nitro motor and fuel tank in it at one time

some then change it over to electric and that's how I got

It had a 550 electric motor in it, and a mechanical speed control out of Tamiya Frog , and a Sanwa 27mhz am receiver, and 2 old servo's that take a 4.8 volt battery pack, they won't work with 6volts like the new servo's do

I bought for it

a Traxxas Titan 12 turn 550 motor

Traxxas XL5 water proof esc

Traxxas 2075 water proof servo for the rudder

I bought a new rudder linkage and made my own servo mount, need to mount it after I get my waterproof servo

I need a replacement rudder the guy I got the boat from broke the rudder and the top of the bridge and punched a hole in the bottom of it

that's how I got for $20.00 he basically destroyed it in 5 minutes, So I bought just to rescue it from some one who would end up destroying it even more 00I0I_DSqU5bOxuZ_600x450.jpg00f0f_fMgWebYwgsR_600x450.jpg00E0E_5kWefnxTTWz_600x450.jpg00n0n_6AT8sdMvO3S_600x450.jpg00V0V_4CBVU5aWkYA_600x450.jpg

DSC00003 (4).JPGDSC00004 (3).JPGDSC00007 (2).JPGhere is more, I roughed in the broken and missing pieces at the top of the bridge, going to fill in the gaps from the damage with wood filler
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kgb424; 07-17-2015 at 05:54 PM.

DSC00004 (4).JPGDSC00005 (4).JPGDSC00007 (2).JPGDSC00006 (3).JPGDSC00010.JPGher is some updated pics and the servo rudder is almost mounted, I going to run 2s Lipo's in parallel and use some SCX10 battery plates with the Velcro straps, And stripped the paint off the boat the bottom half is done, the upper section needs more paint removed, going to primer it and apply a top coat, going to keep it simple

I have no idea about who makes it. That one drawback to scale boats, it could be a one off built from plans. Very nice find, and a good rescue too.
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

As soon as I say it the first thing that came to mind was it looks like U.S. Minnow from Gilligan's Island, with the right trim and paint it could look like the Minnow

I think its from the 80's cause it had a Tamiya Frog or Grass Hopper mechanical speed control and resistor, and the servo's where 4.8 volts and needed a separate battery pack, servo's are now 6 volts, and it had a Sanwa AM 27mhz receiver with the Crystal still in it, and Sanwa is old school

what years range do you think its from

It had a Nitro motor originally

SS minnow looked like this. If you try to make it an SS minnow, just omit those huge holes.
    minnow_boat.jpg

Tamaiya was popular in the early 80's. I think trying to use that to determine the age range is a moot point. It's not unusual to see out dated stuff in an early RC boat. People didn't want to try putting their (then) high-tech electronics in a boat to get wet back in those days.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

san_pablo.jpgMy boat looks nothing like the Minnow now that I see a picture of it, Thank you Diegoboy

And looks nothing like the San Pablo from the movie Sand Pebbles either

my Dad showed me that movie and Murphy's Law with Peter O'Toole, chasing that U-boat

And my favorite was Mr Roberts and that dam Palm Tree

My Dad loved, The Caine Mutiny movie and would tease me about stealing his frozen Strawberries cause my Mom would make Strawberry short cakes from scratch and would buy Strawberries by the pound and keep them in freezer in are garage and I would eat them frozen and get caught doing so and be teased about him counting how many Strawberries and there was some missing and we where all on report, my Sister and I and my Mom all had fun with it
    Last edited by kgb424; 07-18-2015 at 11:40 AM.

I got the water proof Rudder servo and linkage mounted and it turns so much easier now

I mounted the water proof ESC and the extra radio box from one of my R/C rock crawlers and once I seal it with some silicon around the box where the wires come out, it will work perfectly

DSC00005.JPGDSC00007.JPGDSC00006.JPGDSC00008.JPGDSC00003.JPG

Looking good so far.

hey Diegoboy

did you see my other posting asking about the rudder

I thought I'd ask you, since no one has answered

I'm not sure what kind of shape of Rudder I need

the old one was notched so the prop drive would not hit the Rudder

so if I cut the prop shaft shorter then I would not have too notch the rudder Correct ??

cause I found some replace rudders made out brass or plastic and not sure if they would fit or turn the boat

cause from what I understand its easier to turn the boat at high speed then it is at low

my r/c boat is 42'' and is going to be slow, so does that mean the rudder has to be shaped differently

The red plastic rudder is from Tower hobbies and needs the bottom bushing to work Correctly right ?? its for a tug boat

then one with the brass rudder is an assembly I found that has replacement rudder blade, they come in small, medium, large and extra large

there talking about the size of the boat that its going on correct ??

and not the size of the rudder ??

so what size is a 42'' boat is that a large or extra large

in one picture you can see how its notched it got broke of flush that why its crooked in picture its just sitting there $_12.jpgDSC00007 (2).JPG

aqub8706.jpg

I can't get the pictures to post correctly this is different from the R/C crawler forums I'm used to, cause when you post there the pictures at the end of text every time and in order, on this site it puts the pics where every it wants and what ever order it wants too,

I need to figure out how to post them right cause it bugs me when the pics are not right
    Last edited by kgb424; 07-19-2015 at 01:39 PM.

I glued in some blocking in the bottom of the boat and attached

My SCX10 battery plates with Velcro straps using 4mm T-nuts and 4mm flat head screws

And I got my parallel wiring harness,

that's why I mounted to battery plates

to get longer run times

DSC00001.JPGDSC00002.JPGDSC00003.JPG

Now I need to find some epoxy or resin that I can use below the water line and sands easy

I looked a some Bob Smith 30 minute epoxy

and I read the if you add Micro balloons it will make it a paste and then I could use a putty knife to apply it

cause they are gouges in the wood and want to fill them in and I need some thing to fill it in and is total water proof

How much area do you need to fill?

There a couple seams and some gouges with a low area's, that I want to fill in / even out, and its a above and below the waterline

I looked at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace hardware, tractor supply, and a couple auto parts stores and all of there epoxies and adhesives and fillers and Bondo products even the stuff with ground up fiber glass in it

all say water resistant and in very small print it says "Do Not use below waterline", and JB weld is hard to stick to wood and is a pain ass to sand that what the blackish/ gray stuff on the boat is JB Weld cause it was the only epoxy I had,

I then looked online and seen the Bob Smith's 30 minute epoxy and read if you add balloons to it, it makes a paste and I can use a putty knife and fill in lows and still be able to sand it and it easier to work with then with the JB Weld

And the Bob Smith 20,30, 60, minute epoxy will thick up with balloons, not sure it works with all epoxies or just the Bob Smith stuff

I have done body work using Bondo and body glaze, and have used JB Weld, I have never used resin or fiber glass, that why

DSC00001.JPGDSC00002.JPGDSC00003.JPGDSC00004.JPGDSC00005.JPG
    Last edited by kgb424; 07-23-2015 at 04:29 PM.

Use West Systems resin & hardener, add Micro Balloons until you get about the consistence of Peanut Butter.
    When dry it is very sand-able.

This is what they use on the bottom of real boats under the water line to repair a hull.
    I used the same stuff to blue-print the bottom of my DF-33 and some minor repair on my real boat.

Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Its not that I 'm cheap I just don't see my using a whole quart of West System 105 resin and 205 hardener and 410 Fairing Filler

So I bought this repair kit, its the West System 105-K repair kit, comes with 8 batches of 105 Resin ,205 Hardener and it comes with some 410 ultra light and 407 low density Filler, and mixing cup and accessories to mix and apply the epoxy

and they sell refills of the 105,205, and maybe the 410 and 407 also

so if I have to I can buy more refills

I don't know how much of a area a batch covers but it should work for me

and way cheaper then buying a quart of 105 and the needed amount of 205 and 410 filler and a quart of 105 resin covers way more then what I need

$_14.jpg12954095.jpg

Interesting little restoration project!
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

larry is that the boat u live in in the summer time? fla looks pretty good when the snow starts stacking up huh?
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Sorry Ron
    I did not see your reply until now. I don't get e-mail notifications on posts.

Yes that was Her.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet