Thread: ESC drawing too many Amps?

Unhappy ESC drawing too many Amps?

i have a traxxas spartan with the stock Castle ESC and stock motor. When i try to hit wide open throttle on 6s, I loose my radio signal. DX3s and 3300T receiver. I have tried a sport RX with my DX4R radio but i still get the same issue. I am thinking that my esc is drawing too many amps and starving the RX for power... would an ESC that can handle more amps work better for my set up, been thinking of the Seaking 180 V3... what do you think?

I had 2 Spartans and never had that problem with stock radio and reciever do you still have stock radio and reciever?If not try using a capacitor on your reciever to see if that helps.It also wouldn't hurt to go with 180 esc but if you run 6s then you will want to use a bec and disconnect red wire on your esc and run seperate battery elimination circuit for powering your reciever.i used a castle 10 amp bec with both my 180 esc and never had a problem.you may also be getting the stock esc to hot and that will make you think radio is losing signal because esc is in shutdown check your temps at esc and motor after running for a couple minutes if you have a tempature gauge . Also what batterys are you running? Low c rating batterys won't get the job done the motor and esc need plenty of power in that boat are your batteries puffed when you bring boat in after you run?My buddy and I both had Spartans and sold them because of problems with stock motors and esc not holding up to running on 6 s and using cheaper batterys I spent around 900.0 on my last Spartan and sold it because I couldn't justify the expense to go fast with a abs hull that can't take speeds over 50. Let me know how you make out.i recently purchased a new impulse 31 love the boat way nicer than a Spartan and is plenty fast without having to spend extra money on upgrades.

In addition to what rw442 has provided above, you have another option as well. If you disconnect the red wire, you also have the option of running a separate RX battery to supply voltage to the RX. The traditional way to do this is to use a 4-AAs. Alternatively, there are several LiFe packs available that can work well. Just please be cognizant to not use a lipo to directly provide voltage to the RX without running a UBEC.

For your convenience, an example LiFe RX pack can be found on this website: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...mp-hp-fr0850s2 You may also want the adapter that can be found here: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...hp-fg-cbl-3std. I use these in almost all of my boats and find that they are very reliable.

Again, be sure to lift the red wire coming from the ESC to the RX.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Wow thanks for the responses! I am running a spektrumdx3s radio and a spektrumdx 3300t receiver utilizing the temp telemetry. I like the sounds of the BEC. I believe this may solve my issue. My motor has never reached over 110 degrees. I can't imagine the esc is much hotter but don't know for sure. My batteries are zippy 3s 20-30c discharge 5000 mah. No swelling of any kind either they are about 4 months old.

You may also want to try some batteries with at least a 50 c rating you will notice a difference in the punch you will get with higher c rating.