Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burnt up 180A v3 hobbywing ESC?

Default Burnt up 180A v3 hobbywing ESC?

Long story short my spartan ESC finally started giving me issues after a year, so a month ago I purchased a 180A v3 hobbywing from the OSE store. Then about 2 weeks ago I purchased a Rivercat hull from Travis and decided to use the ESC for that. Well I had to try it out Lol so Ive ran about 8 times with it in the spartan and possibly burnt it up today. Boat cut out after about 5 minutes, got it quick with my jetski and when I pulled the top off there was a very small amount of smoke. Capacitors look burnt or something. Motor timing was 3.75 degrees on stock castle motor. Am I out $120 or is there any warranty on these? Thanks

Man that motor that comes in the Spartan seems to be a serious AMP HOG. Another thing to think about is your batteries. If your not running at least a 5000mah 50c battery.....your asking for problems.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I either run the traxxas 5000mah 25c or I have a set of SPC 7200mah 70c thats what was in it when it cut out. So this things is pretty much junk toss it in the garbage Lol? Sucks cus I wanted to use this for my rivercat you sold me! What ESC should I save my money for? Also the ESC blinks red and beeps once a few seconds apart if powered up

Quote Originally Posted by Mxkid261 View Post
    I either run the traxxas 5000mah 25c or I have a set of SPC 7200mah 70c thats what was in it when it cut out. So this things is pretty much junk toss it in the garbage Lol? Sucks cus I wanted to use this for my rivercat you sold me! What ESC should I save my money for? Also the ESC blinks red and beeps once a few seconds apart if powered up

Don't use the low c batts in that for sure. Spc batts are very good. The seaking 180 will work fine in the Rivercat. If you want the best you can get for it, swordfish 240 pro plus 2 fits the bill there but it's about $270. I don't like the lower model swordfish. They are cheesy looking. I highly recommend eliminating the built in bec in the seaking (that's probably the issue with it, or programming) because it created more heat in the Esc. Pull the red wire out the receiver plug, tape it and then add an external bec. I've been using some really cheap ones in my lower voltage stuff that hold up really well.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

What kind of BEC do you recommend? Should I toss this ESC in the garbage or should I try to get it warrantied??

What kind of BEC do you recommend? Should I toss this ESC in the garbage or should I try to get it warrantied??
    Maybe contact hobbywing and see.

Is the Castle motor a Y wind or a D wind? Best I know is Castle only does Y winds I think? If the motor is a Y wind and most likely is, the timing is way too low and should have been 10 to 15 degrees. The 3.5 timing cooked you're caps, kinda voids warranty imo but, try anyway.
    The caps are toast but, you may be able to sacrifice the esc. You would have to pull off the caps from the main unit with pliers making sure any leftover metal leads are remove and or insulated with some glue. Remove the caps from the power leads and add new ones, Rubycon ZL or ZLH caps from Steve at OSE. A Castle cap bank from OSE would be simplest. If you can find just a polarized cap of some kind in the 480uf, 35vdc rasnge first, solder in and bench tested before spending money on a cap bank, maybe it can be saved.

Stop using internal bec and dont use low c batts.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Double post
    Nortavlag Bulc

Is the Castle motor a Y wind or a D wind? Best I know is Castle only does Y winds I think? If the motor is a Y wind and most likely is, the timing is way too low and should have been 10 to 15 degrees. The 3.5 timing cooked you're caps, kinda voids warranty imo but, try anyway.
    The caps are toast but, you may be able to sacrifice the esc. You would have to pull off the caps from the main unit with pliers making sure any leftover metal leads are remove and or insulated with some glue. Remove the caps from the power leads and add new ones, Rubycon ZL or ZLH caps from Steve at OSE. A Castle cap bank from OSE would be simplest. If you can find just a polarized cap of some kind in the 480uf, 35vdc rasnge first, solder in and bench tested before spending money on a cap bank, maybe it can be saved.

Stop using internal bec and dont use low c batts.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Awesome thanks a lot for the info I was not aware of the timing difference between a Y/D winding motor. So I can pull the caps from the actual speed controller body and seal that off, then pull the caps off the positive/negative wires and just solder in a castle cap bank? If I just cooked the caps could I possibly fix it with the cap bank? Also do I need to heat the caps up on the ESC or just grab with a pliers and give them a yank Lol? Thanks again I appreciate

If the esc is considered dead at this time yes, just pull off the caps with pliers from main unit, no heat or more can be damaged. Unsolder the caps from the main leads and toss out.

It would be cheapest to get one capacitor first to solder onto the leads to test the esc if it will still live before buying a whole cap bank.

Just make sure when you pull the caps of main board that you don't have any remaining wires that can short out. If it works, seal up the holes where caps were and solder in a nice cap bank. Don't waste more money than you have to.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Thanks a bunch for the info I will try that first. I will pull the caps off my spartan esc and try those to see if its actually dead

Mxkid,
    What prop were you running? I have had the caps get really hot on my 180 also. Not like yours, but still really hot. Have since increased the motor and prop sizes and it has been fine. Weird. I try not to hammer the throttle as much now.

I don't believe the timing was the issue. I have ran 0 timing forever on castle y motors and never had an issue. They draw less amps with less timing, they just lose rpm. Just because Ys benefit from extra timing doesn't mean they have to have it to run right. This of course in my experience only.

Get some of the 560uf rubycon caps off of ebay... I got a pack of 10 of them for like 6 bucks or something.

Good evening everybody. since I do not want to open a new thread, I continue on this one.
    I have an osprey running on a leo 4082 1800 kv,seaking 180a v3 esc, 2x5000 mah pararel 40c lipos and an octura m445prop.
    Yesterday I test run the boat the motor kept cutting for small periods, ie for 0.5 second.
    After returning home I removed the esc and I saw that the diode in the cap bank on the power cables was cut horizantally in 2 pieces (diode data can be seen in the attached photo).
    I think that this was the cause of the motor interupting.
    The question is if I can run the esc without the diode .
    Thank you in advance,
    Demosthenis

I was running a 40mm 3 blade CNC from the OSE store, maybe this was too much prop?

Which type of capacitor do I need? How is a 1000uF 35V 20% radial-lead electrolytic capacitor from radioshack?

I didn't know there was a diode in there???

Now, I'm not sure how to advise.

Are you sure it's a diode and not a capacitor or resistor?

Mxkid, you can us that capacitor only for a quick test. We need to find out exactly what that extra component is. We should ask Dr. Wayne.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    I didn't know there was a diode in there???

Now, I'm not sure how to advise.

Are you sure it's a diode and not a capacitor or resistor?

Mxkid, you can us that capacitor only for a quick test. We need to find out exactly what that extra component is. We should ask Dr. Wayne.
    Good morning.
    Its a diode, what is writen on it is PJ4196 SX34. Asearch in wikipedia showed that its a Schottky diode.
    I removed it and the esc works fine. I am going to test on water later today and report the results....

The V3 has this diode, that is part of the bulge on the wires. Replace the whole thing with a cap bank, the stock ones will need any help they can get.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Ok so thats a diode soldered to the capacitors on the wires?? I removed the capacitors from the ESC body and they were puffed and one had a crack. Im just trying to find something from radio shack to just test this ESC quick before I go wasting money on a nice cap bank. This is what I was looking at but Im not sure if it will work? Thanks http://comingsoon.radioshack.com/100...r/2721032.html

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    The V3 has this diode, that is part of the bulge on the wires. Replace the whole thing with a cap bank, the stock ones will need any help they can get.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
    After the test 'flight' I have all the replies I needed.
    The small cuts in the motor's operation occurred due to a defective receiver antenna, almost cut from the receiver's pcb. I replaced the receiver and all went smooth.
    I continued testing after the replacement and what I noticed was that the ESC cut after 2 or 3 minutes of mild game. After cutting it began nipping. I assumed that something was going on with the esc's bec so I put an external bec with a 2s 800 man lipo. Tested again with a pair of fresh lipos and everything was fine and the ESC ran cooler too. So what I can say is similar to what is written in previous posts: do not use the esc's bec.....and I don't think that the diode has a serious job to do there.
    Please the most experienced comment on this so as we become better and more wise...
    PS: I have already replaced the 2x370 uf caps on the power wires with 2x1000 uf ones....if this means something.

Ok so thats a diode soldered to the capacitors on the wires?? I removed the capacitors from the ESC body and they were puffed and one had a crack. Im just trying to find something from radio shack to just test this ESC quick before I go wasting money on a nice cap bank. This is what I was looking at but Im not sure if it will work? Thanks http://comingsoon.radioshack.com/100...r/2721032.html
    That will work for a quick test. Make sure the capacitor is wired in correctly with white negative side on black wire or it will pop in a bad way as soon as you plug in a lipo.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by mihelone View Post
    After the test 'flight' I have all the replies I needed.
    The small cuts in the motor's operation occurred due to a defective receiver antenna, almost cut from the receiver's pcb. I replaced the receiver and all went smooth.
    I continued testing after the replacement and what I noticed was that the ESC cut after 2 or 3 minutes of mild game. After cutting it began nipping. I assumed that something was going on with the esc's bec so I put an external bec with a 2s 800 man lipo. Tested again with a pair of fresh lipos and everything was fine and the ESC ran cooler too. So what I can say is similar to what is written in previous posts: do not use the esc's bec.....and I don't think that the diode has a serious job to do there.
    Please the most experienced comment on this so as we become better and more wise...
    PS: I have already replaced the 2x370 uf caps on the power wires with 2x1000 uf ones....if this means something.

1) I always replace that dinky little cap bank on the wires with a real cap bank.
    2) I don't use the built in bec for the same reason you experienced. It's easier on the Esc to not use it.

Awesome I will give that a try and report back later when I bench test it. What size lipo do you recommend for an external BEC?

Awesome I will give that a try and report back later when I bench test it. What size lipo do you recommend for an external BEC?
    I use a 2s 800 mah lipo, its just a receiver and a servo to power...its ok for a rc boat.

Or you can either attach 2 cables on your main power cables which will go to the external bec, so no aditional battery this way. This method is ok if i.e your received is near your esc's main power cables...Your choice.

What do you mean by "near" my ESC's main power cables? Like in close proximity to them? Thanks for the replies

Yes, in proximity, as you don't have to have a long cable from the ESC cables to the bec and the receiver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast