Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: ***NEW**** Pro Boat Voracity 36" Mono!!

I like the naked blue.....would look great with black and white checkers!

LOL @ naked blue. :D
    Rafael Lopez
    Product Developer-Pro Boat
    My Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010183246751

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    I like the naked blue.....would look great with black and white checkers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez View Post
    LOL @ naked blue. :D
    I think she worked at the Beenery Lounge in Windsor....LOL

How many product developers with take the time and lay out boats for you and take pics and post them on a forum? Not many! They will be making great strides with this guy in charge!
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    How many product developers with take the time and lay out boats for you and take pics and post them on a forum? Not many! They will be making great strides with this guy in charge!
    I DO know at least one other Pro Boat consultant/developer that has done that as well... as well as taken all the crap and heat you guys can dish out!

OH, and he wasn't/isn't getting paid to do it...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by revoltrunner View Post
    I think she worked at the Beenery Lounge in Windsor....LOL
    Probably Biscos.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    I DO know at least one other Pro Boat consultant/developer that has done that as well... as well as taken all the crap and heat you guys can dish out!

Darin you do an excellent job too! You do bring a lot to the table also!
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Oh come on...I've seen pics of you and Grimm in driving around in Limos sponsored by ProBoat and AQ.

Oh come on...I've seen pics of you and Grimm in driving around in Limos sponsored by ProBoat and AQ.
    Grimm has a Corvette... But then, he's actually worth it!

So this puppy has a real motor, a genuine 40 x 82mm. Nice! What does the Spartan have? 3674?

From my personal opinion:
    The Impulse is a bit more maneuverable because it's smaller. Think Lotus Elise VS Lambo
    The Voracity is faster out of the box.
    The Voracity will handle rougher water better than the Impulse because f their size difference. This factors in when ruining in large bodies of water.
    Power to weight, the Impulse 31 has more room to prop up on 6s.
    The motor in the Voracity is a lower KV so on lower voltage you could prop it higher and possibly be at the same speed you would be on 6S without the need for HV.
    The Impulse is easier to throw in your trunk, if your can has a trunk, lol.
    One is black and one is blue.
    Thanks Rafael for taking the time to answer questions honestly and posting pictures, you could easily ignore us forum people and go on with your day, thanks for going the extra mile I really appreciate it!! you just made a new customer to Pro Boat

The Spartan has a plastic hull...doesn't matter whats inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Chizzy240 View Post
    Thanks Rafael for taking the time to answer questions honestly and posting pictures, you could easily ignore us forum people and go on with your day, thanks for going the extra mile I really appreciate it!! you just made a new customer to Pro Boat
    Amen. That's great stuff.

Okay Darin, now you need to get him to some races. haha We'll throw a tent up for him at the next Cup race.

The Spartan was a great idea with great lines and horrible execution.
    Noisy person

Don't get me wrong sweet boat we are the voice of the sport

Hmmm...makes me wonder if AQ will bring something similar to market.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Amen. That's great stuff.

Okay Darin, now you need to get him to some races. haha We'll throw a tent up for him at the next Cup race.

The Spartan was a great idea with great lines and horrible execution.
    I have the desire to get out and race. What I don't have is the time to do so

Thank you to everyone for the kind words, I really appreciate it.

Darin has done a great job helping Pro Boat get to the point to where we picked it up from. We still require his help and appreciate his input while in development. He's still very actively helping behind the scenes, especially with testing. I make sure to send him pictures and CAD files of what I'm working on and he usually just sends me back drooling smileys.
    Rafael Lopez

Very cool boat ProBoat, can't wait to pick one up it will be an awesome addition at a HDV Saturdays...

I notice that the Voracity's hull is shaped a bit differently from the Impulse's. There's less (scale) freeboard, and the tip of the nose doesn't have the same vertical edge. Can I ask why it was done this way? Does this affect the performance of the vehicle, perhaps by lowering the center of gravity, or is it merely a cosmetic change?
    Revolt 30, River Jet, Southampton Tug, Outcast 6S BLX, 8ight-E, Ten-SCBE, 22 2.0.
    '09 Miata.
    Ibanez basses and guitars. Mapex drums, Zildjian cymbals.

It's just a cosmetic difference.
    Rafael Lopez

A 36 inch cat maybe..

Hmmm...makes me wonder if AQ will bring something similar to market.
    I'm not sure what AQ is up to. Mike Zaborowski (Grimracer) is no longer working for them, so I'm not sure what their status is at this point...

Quote Originally Posted by skeeler View Post
    I notice that the Voracity's hull is shaped a bit differently from the Impulse's. There's less (scale) freeboard, and the tip of the nose doesn't have the same vertical edge. Can I ask why it was done this way? Does this affect the performance of the vehicle, perhaps by lowering the center of gravity, or is it merely a cosmetic change?
    It's just a cosmetic difference.
    The geometry of the IM31 hull actually works better as the boat increases in dimension. It has an amount of lift appropriate for a 31" boat with limited power, and as you start increasing that power, it "loosens" up quite a bit.

As you grow the dimensions, however, you can push it to higher speeds before this occurs.

Or, to put all that more simply: It works better at 36" than it does at 31" (well... the keel line is actually only 29"... the overhang makes up the rest, so really 29").

I actually think a 44"-ish version for 8-10S or a Gas motor would really work well...

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez
    Darin has done a great job helping Pro Boat get to the point to where we picked it up from. We still require his help and appreciate his input while in development. He's still very actively helping behind the scenes, especially with testing. I make sure to send him pictures and CAD files of what I'm working on and he usually just sends me back drooling smileys.
    Rafael usually catches me while I'm sleeping at my desk... which explains the drooling.

NONE of this happens without Rafael, Scott, and the team down in Corona. I think their efforts have been amazing and if I've helped at all, I'm very happy to be a part of it all.

(OK... LOVE fest over... let's get back to talking BOATS! )

everyone's hard work is very much appreciated.thanks for putting out great products.

(OK... LOVE fest over... let's get back to talking BOATS! )
    Haha!

My boat is on a boat, where are the boats?!

Rafael:

I posted an inquiry a page or two back, but it got ran over by the excitement! Anyway, the one video you posted it appeared you were running two 5000mAh/50C/3s LiPo in series. What type of run times were you achieving with those batteries? I know it all depends on how much on/off throttle, just a ball park would be great. That one video showed pretty hard running for 1 min before you brought it in to check speed; run times with that type of running is what I am after.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme Thunder View Post
    Haha!

My boat is on a boat, where are the boats?!

Rafael:

I posted an inquiry a page or two back, but it got ran over by the excitement! Anyway, the one video you posted it appeared you were running two 5000mAh/50C/3s LiPo in series. What type of run times were you achieving with those batteries? I know it all depends on how much on/off throttle, just a ball park would be great. That one video showed pretty hard running for 1 min before you brought it in to check speed; run times with that type of running is what I am after.
    Sorry I missed that.

Hard running, just under 4 minutes with the batteries coming back at 3.7-3.6v/cell with default cut off at 3.2v/cell. The LVC kicks in pretty early to protect the LiPos under hard running. I had testers report as high as 7 minutes of run time which I assume was not all hard running. You could get an extra 30-40 minutes by lowering to 3.0v/cell and LiPos come back at 3.0-3.1v/cell. Not worth it IMO.
    Rafael Lopez

haha I'm guessing that's 30 to 40 seconds. 40 minutes would be awesome.
    Noisy person

Have you guts tried it with 6S2P? How is it with the added weight?

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    haha I'm guessing that's 30 to 40 seconds. 40 minutes would be awesome.
    Picture a 40 minute Q-Offshore heat!

One more thing that I'd like to do is set expectations. Lately there has been a lot of debate with our 29 inch hulls and the temps of the motor connectors getting near 200*. If you run as hard as I do in my Voracity videos, which is honestly how I've always tested this boat, temperatures in the Voracity will be the following:
    Motor-130-140* measured at the rear end bell, not the cooling sleeve.
    ESC- 130-140* measured where power wires exit the ESC, not the cooling block.
    Battery connectors-180-200* measured at the EC5s.
    Motor connectors-200-230*
    LiPos-120-130*
    **Edit** These temps are with stock prop which is equivalent to Octura X645.

I run the recommended batteries and never puffed a single 50c pack. I did puff 2, Dynamite Reaction 5000mAH 30c packs running that way. My testers run their own batteries and none of them reported ruining any of their packs. They all reported at least 1, 50+mph run on 6s. We also only destroyed one ESC because timing was set at 15*, not the default which is 7.5*. I think the boat went over 60 for a few seconds, lol. The other incident we had was the motor connectors melted the solder with a 447/3 on 6s. We didn't burn up a single ESCs testing it under "normal" use. We didn't burn up any motors either.

I as the PD, and Horizon as the Company I represent, feel these temps are normal under the expected running conditions of 50+ on 6s, for this project. If these temps seem high, keep in mind we are dumping a minimum of 5000mAH @ 50c, 22.2v, through the electronics in under 4 continues minutes. Heat is to be expected on 6s, driving like I do in my videos; lead finger. Lower voltage and more conservative driving keep these temps lower.
    Last edited by Rafael_Lopez; 07-10-2015 at 10:21 AM.
    Rafael Lopez

Sorry I missed that.

Hard running, just under 4 minutes with the batteries coming back at 3.7-3.6v/cell with default cut off at 3.2v/cell. The LVC kicks in pretty early to protect the LiPos under hard running. I had testers report as high as 7 minutes of run time which I assume was not all hard running. You could get an extra 30-40 minutes by lowering to 3.0v/cell and LiPos come back at 3.0-3.1v/cell. Not worth it IMO.
    Thank you for the quick response, that is the information I needed. I expect to run more conservative, but always interested in 'worse case' scenarios and adjust for my personal preferences and needs.

Have you guts tried it with 6S2P? How is it with the added weight?
    That is interesting, I was wondering the same thing.

One more thing that I'd like to do is set expectations. Lately there has been a lot of debate with our 29 inch hulls and the temps of the motor connectors getting near 200*. If you run as hard as I do in my Voracity videos, which is honestly how I've always tested this boat, temperatures in the Voracity will be the following:
    Motor-130-140* measured at the rear end bell, not the cooling sleeve.
    ESC- 130-140* measured where power wires exit the ESC, not the cooling block.
    Battery connectors-180-200* measured at the EC5s.
    Motor connectors-200-230*
    LiPos-120-130*
    **Edit** These temps are with stock prop which is equivalent to Octura X645.

I run the recommended batteries and never puffed a single 50c pack. I did puff 2, Dynamite Reaction 5000mAH 30c packs running that way. My testers run their own batteries and none of them reported ruining any of their packs. They all reported at least 1, 50+mph run on 6s. We also only destroyed one ESC because timing was set at 15*, not the default which is 7.5*. I think the boat went over 60 for a few seconds, lol. The other incident we had was the motor connectors melted the solder with a 447/3 on 6s. We didn't burn up a single ESCs testing it under "normal" use. We didn't burn up any motors either.

I as the PD, and Horizon as the Company I represent, feel these temps are normal under the expected running conditions of 50+ on 6s, for this project. If these temps seem high, keep in mind we are dumping a minimum of 5000mAH @ 50c, 22.2v, through the electronics in under 4 continues minutes. Heat is to be expected on 6s, driving like I do in my videos; lead finger. Lower voltage and more conservative driving keep these temps lower.
    Thank you for all this added information, definitely a good baseline to compare when I receive mine. I intend to try 4s, 5s, and 6s, however, I will probably end up running 5s more often to allow for a little safety net, plus play around with some props.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast