Thread: Epoxy or CA glue

Default Epoxy or CA glue

So, I am building a wooden Hydro, I got to the side of the sponsons and the manual calls for Epoxy... I am not sure it'll hold well enough, I am thinking CA will be better and then coat the whole thing with epoxy after...
    any suggestions from you, avid builder?

thank you guys
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

CA is more brittle what kind of wood are you using?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Hi Jan, good to see you here again.
    CA is good for tacking together but ultimately you want epoxy for the strength. It also gives you time to make any adjustments if needed.
    Brisbane,QLD, Aussie

Hi Heath, it feels good to be back... hopefully I'll be here more and more...

Jim, Heath... I am not sure what wood it is, some time ago I got this Zippy Kit Thunderboat (dropped Sponsons) and I am converting it.
    It may be Basswood but don't quote me on that. I realize CA is brittle but Epoxy does not have the "kung Fu grip" that CA does...
    so I was wondering what my options are. Obviously I am not an expert builder, so if the idea of CA is ludicrous then I will not even try to use it.
    I have used Epoxy with a few of my "mickey mouse" attempt to build and it help ok, but this is much larger and the forces trying to get things apart are greater...
    I must mention that the surface on which the side panel will go has very little surface to adhere to... anyone who has seen a hydro without skin will know.

I'm just back into it as well after a 5 yr break :)
    When i built my whiplash i used CA to glue the frame and epoxy on the skins and it was as strong as anything.
    Brisbane,QLD, Aussie

I have build a lot of race boats and what I think is the best stuff to glue wood to wood is a product called G-FLEX. It is better than 30 min. Epoxy in that it will flex. You can buy it at a West Marine store.
    The only draw back is that (unlike CA) it must be clamped.

G-flex?
    I will look it up...
    possibly for my next build as i have CA'd most of the hull (as per instructions)... til I came across my dilemma...

G-flex?
    I will look it up...
    possibly for my next build as i have CA'd most of the hull (as per instructions)... til I came across my dilemma...

CA will fall apart and crack. Epoxy will not under the same stress. Even wood glue is better in this case.

If the manual calls for epoxy, use epoxy.