Thread: Electrical Questions

Default Electrical Questions

I'm a newbie here and was wondering if someone could explain why cable connectors have to be larger than the cable itself. I know there's material issues for better conduction. I know length = resistance and cable size increases flow. Lets say that if you were to solder two 10 g cables together, there would be no problem, right?? It also puzzles me of how many ESC's and motors have smaller cable than the battery. I mean like the battery starts off with 10 g the ESC goes to 12 g , then the motors go to 12g or 14g, what's up with that? The better stuff has better cables I know to handle more amps and volts as well as the load. I would appreciate your thoughts.

I've been wondering this myself, thanks for posting the question.
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

From the battery there are two power wires, out of the ESC the power is split into three wires to the motor.

(Sounds good to me)

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

The connectors need to have surface area to keep a low resistance connection because it needs to be sure and not get heated as this will cause the slip fit friction connection to get even hotter and loose the tight fit and start arcing and would burn up and melt the solder holding the wire in or burn up the insulation/heat shrink and possible go to dead short if it got the + up against the - . Magic smoke time.

The battery wires have to be large enough to carry the mah rating of the pack times the C rating because they don't know what amps you intend to pull from the pack.
    The motor manufacturer knows what size wire it takes to run the motor at it max or even locked rotor and they put what it takes to run the motor but the ESC manufacturer has no idea what amps the motor will pull so they use wire large enough for the rating of the ESC not the motor.

If the same manufacture manufactured a complete system of battery, esc and motor as a package then they could use similar wiring throughout. already knowing just exactly the wire size needed for the package.

Thank you Daniel that makes sense! There are just times where you wish they would have added just a little bit more! LOL

Bigger tight connection= less heat ... I upgraded all mine motor and battery... Even on my r.t.r. boats.

What Daniel said, but also usually the motor wires are not the typical multicore silicon wire with a gauge size we have elsewhere, but the ends of the same enamelled magnet wires that make up the motor's windings, so the size of the motor, pole count and number of turns it has will dictate the size of the "wires" coming out of the motor.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.