Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shocker 2nd Rebuild - Video

Got a drill press?

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...EIrYsAWssa-wDA

I put a flap sander in the drill press and use it to get my props well balanced, not to mention extremely sharp. If you go this route pick up a few different grits. I use the dubro tru-spin balancer.

I think I'm the one who told you to go with the cnc props a few months back. They're cool if you're just starting out I have found though that the blades can bend over time. At this point sharpening and tuning a set of the props Travis mentioned should get you some serious speed. If you can pickup a set of octura 447s too.

Well, everyone seems to have CNC's... they're cheaper and ready to go out of the box. Good for initial testing for sure.

Is the sharpening done while mounted on the balancer?

kfxguy: Should I look into getting the 1616-10-50 L/R ones too?

Quote Originally Posted by dmitry100 View Post
    kfxguy: Should I look into getting the 1616-10-50 L/R ones too?

No. Too much pitch, not the rake I like and too much blade area. The 1715-17-45 is a really good choice. You'll see.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

kfxguy: Okay, if you say so :) I'll keep you posted on the results. Was just hoping to save on shipping costs incase there was another good size you suggest to test out besides that one.

BTW... How much servo torque do you guys think a cat like mine should have? My old springrc low profile had about 60 oz-in torque. My 2056 Traxxas servo on there was actually short enough for it to stand. But got a new Waterproof/Metal Savox servo today that I ordered... it has about 200 oz-in torque except its a bit taller than I was hoping for so I'm going to have to lay it on the side and use one arm for it to work. Is the Savox one a bit overkill for my setup?

There's no such thing as overkill as long you operate responsibly. As far as a rudder servo goes, just manage the rate with the transmitter trim & it will be fine. I like the Savox 1251mg & Futaba s9551 for rudder.

The I use that blue savox 0231 in a lot of my builds with no complaints except the buzz sometimes. I have tried some other things but for the money they work well. If you have the budget to allow you could try the green one on the left. It's a beast, very quiet and smooth. Read the specs below.....

The simple answer is in my opinion 200oz in of tq should be good. I'd rather over do it than find out that you can't turn or it's not strong enough to control the rudder like happened to me once before.

This is the first time I'll be using a radio post. My budget usually doesn't allow for a $130 servo but the mono I'm building needs the accuracy, torque and very tight dead band this servo has for the speeds that it will be doing.

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

So I shouldn't worry about sacrificing the 2nd servo arm for the extra servo torque? or would it be possibly too weak to handle this increase of torque anyway...

Do you have a push pull system? Is that what you are referring to? A push pull system would have less slack. What height do you need the servo to be?

Sorry about the lighting but it looks something like this:
    Photo Jul 02, 9 33 44 PM.jpg Photo Jul 02, 9 32 39 PM.jpg

Photo Jul 02, 5 19 36 PM.jpg Photo Jul 02, 5 11 46 PM.jpg

By the way... What do you think of the pictures of the last 2 adhesives ? Are any of those any good for mounts, etc?
    I'm trying to find an epoxy/glue with less viscosity so that I could bind joints a bit more accurately.
    G/FLEX seems like a good one but not sure which version I need...

I use jb weld on most stuff

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I use jb weld on most stuff
    Travis, are you using Regular JB or JB Quik?

Quote Originally Posted by flraptor07 View Post
    Travis, are you using Regular JB or JB Quik?
    I use jb weld on motor mounts and things that would be under stress. Never had anything let go. I've used the quick on mounts before but it cures too fast. I've also used the quick on servo mounts. Do note that they are different colors so make sure you use the quick in areas you can't see.

Lol so I'm trying to order some of the cheaper "smart drives" from MBP ... Surprised to find out that he not only is charging me $50 bucks for shipping but also a 5% Paypal fee of $20 bucks on top lol.

MHZ on the other hand charges $50-$60 bucks to ship a 45" hull with a bunch of hardware.
    Last edited by dmitry100; 07-06-2015 at 01:53 AM.

What do you guys think of putting this in my hull in the sponsons? Or should I maybe just go with some simple CF battery mounts?

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=mbp-cnc5294

kfxguy: So I just got my $10 prop balancer today and I tried out my 448 CNC prop on there and it seems like its not exactly balanced 100%. Should I try sharpening and seeing if I can file off a bit of it to balance it? Or should it not be too unbalanced to bother with it... They could definitely use a bit of sharpening though and they seem a bit dull.

kfxguy: So I just got my $10 prop balancer today and I tried out my 448 CNC prop on there and it seems like its not exactly balanced 100%. Should I try sharpening and seeing if I can file off a bit of it to balance it? Or should it not be too unbalanced to bother with it... They could definitely use a bit of sharpening though and they seem a bit dull.
    You can sharpen and balance it but I haven't seen any noticeable gain in doing that to cnc props.

I use CnCs to get in the ball park then get a couple variations of the best CnC in either ABC, Octura or Prather to fine tune.

kfxguy: You ever try adding more cooling to any of your SF esc's ? I'm thinking to replace that thin little piece of aluminum (the one under the SF label) with something a bit thicker with 2 extra intakes for water... I'm hoping it would help it from frying if the new prop(s) start to take the ESC passed its limits.
    Last edited by dmitry100; 07-08-2015 at 04:55 PM.

So I finally got my 1715 abc's yesterday... Gonna attempt to balanced/sharpened them. Reading a few how-to tutorials/videos before I start ... don't want to mess up these props.

Also, I'm currently using some 187 STS flex seals and have noticed that the hole of the part that goes into the bearing doesn't look 100% centered... Which I have a feeling could cause some potential vibration. Are these aluminum pieces that spin light enough for it not to really matter much?

Heres a pic of it... let me know what you guys think:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dmitry100; 07-22-2015 at 12:37 PM.

Well looks like the bearing for that particular STS-187 Seal broke in half the other day ... The flex saver for that seal also has a wobble to it when even spinning the flex by hand.

Do you guys think it could have been due to the uncentered part of this piece that goes onto the flex?
    sts-seal.jpg

Update:
    94 MPH on 1715 ABC -- S/B by me.
    Finally the wind died down today... and got some great gps readings. As I'm about 10mph faster without the 10-15mph gust/winds :)

Today i will be testing and comparing it against my new detounged/cupped x447's by dasboata...
    Was thinking to also send over the 1715 ABC to dasboata to further tune to squeeze some more mph out of it.

Photo Jul 24, 5 12 00 PM.jpg

Update:
    94 MPH on 1715 ABC -- S/B by me.
    Finally the wind died down today... and got some great gps readings. As I'm about 10mph faster without the 10-15mph gust/winds :)

Today i will be testing and comparing it against my new detounged/cupped x447's by dasboata...
    Was thinking to also send over the 1715 ABC to dasboata to further tune to squeeze some more mph out of it.

Photo Jul 24, 5 12 00 PM.jpg

So how do you like those abc props? I'll be using a set on my 32" twin I'm building. Ought to go pretty good.

Once I got my CG right on those abc's I definitely noticed they ran nice and cool, and also handled better too than my CNC 448's that I had before them.

I think they might be more efficient too... as I notice it runs a tad longer in terms of battery life.
    But I think that might just be due to the neutral stinger angle.

Keep in mind I'm still doing these speed passes in the short area of the lake here...
    So if I'm getting 94mph right here then I'll definitely get more on the other side of the lake where I'll have more room to actually accelerate.

kfxguy: Btw man, where do you think I can buy some CF motor mounts for this shocker? (can't even seem to find any good aluminum ones)

My thin aluminum mounts bend easily... I reinforced the bottom areas of one side's mount with a bit of aluminum and JB weld and it made it alot stronger but still kind of bend slightly by hand.
    So I was initially thinking to maybe put some rear motor clamps, but might look ugly if I make some stands out of aluminum that would make it fit in the sponsons. (no space for the CF stands that come with the OSE motor clamp) :/

kfxguy: Btw man, where do you think I can buy some CF motor mounts for this shocker? (can't even seem to find any good aluminum ones)

My thin aluminum mounts bend easily... I reinforced the bottom areas of one side's mount with a bit of aluminum and JB weld and it made it alot stronger but still kind of bend slightly by hand.
    So I was initially thinking to maybe put some rear motor clamps, but might look ugly if I make some stands out of aluminum that would make it fit in the sponsons. (no space for the CF stands that come with the OSE motor clamp) :/

Pm a member named tiqueman on here. He may have some.

Today I finally got the chance to test the m447 cupped dasboata props with minimal wind. Last time I tried them some days ago there was about 10-15mph wind and I clocked 87 mph with them.

But today there was only 4mph winds... and I clocked my max mph thus far at 97 mph with those 447's.
    Acceleration is definitely noticeable with these compared to the 1715 ABC due to the pitch.
    Though I sent out the ABC's to dasboata for further tuning :) So we'll see how it goes after he's done with them.

Anyways, my conclusion... 447 is an awesome prop all around.
    More testing to come once dasboata sends the ABC's back :)
    Last edited by dmitry100; 07-29-2015 at 11:10 PM.

Video!!

its coming! haha... figured some distance runs might be better for a video-- but that requires me to haul my brother along with me so that he can be the camera guy but thats on the other side of the lake here.

Just did a new video: 97.1 mph

Last edited by dmitry100; 07-30-2015 at 01:04 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123