Thread: Esc

Default Esc

Do you rely need a water cooled esc for a boat ?
    America home of the free, thanks to the brave [/url]

That depends on a whole bunch of things.....
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Closed in boat running 2s 5000 30c

Hey great, that's all the info we need to answer your question (sarcasm). Seriously, we can't read your mind and I'm not going to pry the info out of you. If you want a question answered, it's good practice to give specifics. I guess that's why no one else has posted. Not sure why I'm wasting my time posting either.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Thanks for nothing IT was a general question

Quote Originally Posted by blizard05 View Post
    I try to help whoever I can. But with a lack of info, how can I help? How could you expect an answer. In short the answer is yes, you need water cooling. There's your general answer for a general question. Some people may argue that. There's some situations where you might be able to get away with no cooling. I use it on everything I build. It helps greatly. If your only running for a few seconds and then let it cool, then you may not have to use it. On little toy boats, you really don't need it. It's there more for novelty. Example, a blackjack 9. If you e ever seen the cooling they attempted its probably more for looks than anything. Now if you have a specific setup that you want some advice on if it's a good idea to use cooling, I'll be glad to offer my opinion.

Do you rely need a water cooled esc for a boat ?
    No...as long as your setup draws minimal amps you will be fine without it.
    No...as long as you keep your runs short if the current draw is high.

Some very generic answers to a very generic question.

Some folks use fan cooled ESC's with good results as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Hey great, that's all the info we need to answer your question (sarcasm). Seriously, we can't read your mind and I'm not going to pry the info out of you. If you want a question answered, it's good practice to give specifics. I guess that's why no one else has posted. Not sure why I'm wasting my time posting either.
    Dang Travis if you're running out of patients perhaps you should take a little break.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

I apologize. I sent you a pm

I run an Aquacraft 45 amp esc on 4s without water cooling, it does however have a 6v fan attached to it.
    Brisbane,QLD, Aussie

have a M M,Tacon 40 74, 2200 kv looking at ESC 160-200 amp So yes I do need water cooling. I am working with a low budget. New to FE, been running gas boats for over 20 yrs

If your running roundy round, I'd recommend water cooling. If your making short speed passes, you could get away without it especially on low amp setups. On high amp setups I'd definitely recommend it. I had a boat one time that the cooling system was plugged (I didn't know) and it lived for several passes and is still going. But I think I was just lucky. The way I noticed it was starting to run hot is when I got some water on me that came out the cooling exit and it was very warm. Not sure how water even got in there, it may have not been completely plugged but it wasn't spitting water out as it came by.