Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad and near my house. Rule #1. It's a toy boat and not worth dying for.

Default Sad and near my house. Rule #1. It's a toy boat and not worth dying for.

Wow, it happens every year. Very sad, I feel for his family.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Exactly why I didn't swim to get mine. I'm 38 years old, work out 3-4 times a week. In pretty good physical shape and I know I couldn't do it. If your not a seasoned swimmer and that's all you do for a living, then don't try it. I did do it once as the boat was only 25 or so feet out. When I realized that I had to swim with one arm and carry back a water logged object that helped to drag me down, I was very surprised how much harder the task of swimming got.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Its surprising how many people in this country cant swim well. Found this out when i was in navy boot camp many years ago. Theymake u swim and if u cant you will learn lol. Still sad case
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

Very sad indeed....

Unfortunately, we see drownings here in the Islands much too often...

Ocean/water safety is very important, even for our best watermen, and big wave surfers...

Aloha

Sad news...but unfortunately you will still find "hero's" on all forums (including OSE) who will try and justify it.

Guess your boat and family are only worth the cost of the boat.

If my whole fleet went down together I'm not going in after it. They're fun and all but just toys. Yeah pricey sure......but toys. I've run out waist deep a couple times but I'm not swimming for them.

These stories are always horrible. We hear another it seems every six months now.

I wish we could think of a way to get people to stop trying it. I thought about maybe some sort of flier when you open the box on an RTR but people don't even read the instructions on those so it wont likely help. It's probably in there.
    Noisy person

Could of at LEAST worn a life jacket...
    Why are you bothering me? I want to see your boat!
    32" CF Rivercat--- built by "kfxguy" (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    Could of at LEAST worn a life jacket...
    My exact thought - at a minimum. Never leave home for the water w/o my trusty old $50 NQD "rescue rig" tied off w/ fishing line & a couple of bobbers. Just as much fun as blowin it over!

When I FIRST started in RC Boats... with one of those little AQ Reef Racers... I had a runaway out on Lake Washington. It ran around in circles (fresh battery) for about 5-min, then stopped about 30-yards offshore. This was April, so it's sunny, but only in the 60's here normally.

I stripped down to my boxers and swam out after it. I got there fine, but on the way back, the cold water started really affecting my muscles. I BARELY made it back to the dock, and was VERY sore for about 4 days afterwards.

Honestly, I came very close to not making it back.

Simply NOT worth it, folks. One of the responsibilities of running these boats is having a SAFE retrieval method. You WILL need it at some point.

Tragic, and I hate hearing about stuff like this.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

It's sad that some guys local to me still swim for boats. I keep warning them but......???
    Nortavlag Bulc

Darin (& the rest who have contributed to this thread) thank you for explaining the "reality" of muscle cramp. Famous last words,,,,,"that'll never happen to me" (

It happens again....................

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/07/2...trolled-boats/
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Sad...yet some people on the forums still defend doing it..

And unfortunately it happened a couple of weeks ago here in my home town of Brisbane.
    http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1227438201606

I think you cold climate boys have no idea what we do to stay out of the heat in the summer time down here. Swim with an rc boat? HA! I'll keep this thread in mind as I swim my 10' surf rod out to the last sand bar in the Gulf of Mexico. There, the only thing I worry about is swimming an 8' black-tip shark back to the beach!

All kidding aside, accidents happen and it is often very sad and disturbing the petty cause of a lost life. Still I think it is ridiculous to say no one should ever swim after their boat. Life is full of judgment calls. Accidents will always happen but a little common sense will go a long ways.

Ego often over-rules common sense......if you consider your life to be worth the cost of a boat...then by all means, swim after it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Ego often over-rules common sense......if you consider your life to be worth the cost of a boat...then by all means, swim after it.
    This is the best post ever.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I want to say more but I don't want to ruffle any feathers. I think it really is a difference in perspective that I wouldn't expect people that didn't grow up their entire lives swimming, boating, fishing, raising hell, etc. around water to understand.

Truth of the matter is I guess you could preach all you wanted the blanket statement "never go after your boat" but the existing conditions at the time are going to warrant a choice to that person. Hopefully they make the right one.

I just keep a water ski jacket with my rc boat stuff ,because of this forum I put on the life jacket when I had to swim 30' out ,made it a lot EZer to swim ,I acually started into the water stopped and went back to the jeep for the jacket ,if your not familiar with a water ski jacket check them out at a sports store ,not as bulky as a life jacket ,cheap ,

Oh bloody hell ! .. my thoughts go out to that mans family

I shared a similar experience that Darin described when I started out -- swimming after a flipped boat in the middle of the pond , no wind ..
    Threw my rescue boat in and forgot to switch it on

Being really upset I couldnt fight the urge to go in and get it in almost freezing water temps..
    Lesson learned, next to switching on my rescue boat, I always keep an inflatable paddle boat in my car ..
    Berry

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Challeng...s=blow+up+boat

Just like most others in the hobby I had to learn the hard way that swimming after a boat is just not worth it. I built an "AIR" boat to do retrieval work. Seen in pics below. Then thanks to a friend I realized I had way too much $$$ invested in the retrieval rig and bought the blow up boat in the link above. Works great and I scored an air pump on clearance for $4 at my local Walmart! Just don't do it folks!!!

IMG_0701.jpgIMG_0696.jpg

most of you guys are not old enough to remember the nats in new jersey many years ago a guy from the co. hydros .com I can't remember hid name, had a dead boat and he jump in after it. After a few minute he started to sinck later we found out he had a cramp. Brian Vega jumped in a save the mans life . Brian was from florida and a very good friend of mine. Thats to tell you, stupid is not something new.

That was Andy Kunz. Fortunately Brian was an experienced rescue diver....

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I always considered swimming to retrieve a RC boat half the fun of having operating them. I couldn't imagine having an RC boat if I wasn't a good swimmer.

Not a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a troll to me. The "major" has one single disruptive post which was designed to elicit a response on a sensitive subject. The mods are watching you dude....

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Its the reason I bought a self righing boat ......life first
    Last edited by Mike Caruso; 04-25-2017 at 09:33 AM. Reason: the
    Do It Like You Mean It .....or Don't Bother

Quote Originally Posted by Old Major View Post
    I always considered swimming to retrieve a RC boat half the fun of having operating them. I couldn't imagine having an RC boat if I wasn't a good swimmer.
    Make sure you sign your organ donor card.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast