Thread: Chine Walking/ Stability Issue

Default Chine Walking/ Stability Issue

I upgraded to a leopard 4074 2200kv and seaking 180 amp esc. Everything else is stock. I have tightened and sharpened the hardware, as well as adding an additional water pickup for the esc. I have rounded the bottom of the rudder to help reduced the lift. At about 3/4 throttle 30-35mph it starts to chine walk pretty bad and is very unstable. I have the turn fins pulled up halfway and angled back slightly. Trim tabs parallel to the keel, except for right inner to counter for torque roll. Strut and rudder are neutral as well. I am running on an m445 prop. I have messed around with the COG a lot and when the batteries are forward it reduces it a lot, but it is still very unstable. Could this have more to do with the weight distribution of electronics inside the hull? ESC is tucked into the rear port side, while the servo and receiver are on the starboard. Should I use weights to try and balance out the sides evenly or play around with the configuration of the electronics? Is it too much weight for the rear of the boat? Im guessing that the port side should be a little bit heavier to help with the torque roll as well? Please give me some feedback as to what you think may help.

I am going to throw this page out at you http://www.modelpowerboat.com/conten...tude&styleid=4
    At the left side is further help. Read it all, this is my 'go to' basics. Basics first then get crazy with speed bit by bit.

Shawn

Alright I read it, but do you think that I should change my configuration up at all?

Where does your boat balance? As you get the nose down it has a tendency to be more stable. It may not be as fast but there is a fine line between stability and speed.

im trying to find out because i think that my balance is way off which is contributing to the chine walk. At full speed it seems to run almost completely out of the water.

Take a pencil and set it on a table, take your boat and set it on the pencil(a dowel will do also), move the boat forward and back till you determine where it balances. Then take a tape measure and measure from the transom of boat to where that pencil balanced the boat. This gives you the CG

Do I do this without batteries?

All loses up like you are putting it in the water. Hatch on as well

Jake.
    It may just be the camera angle but it looks to me that there might be too much negative angle on your strut. This would be lifting the hull up at the transom, & not leave enough hull in the water. That could be why tit seems to run completely out of the water. A classic cause of chine walk.
    Try setting the strut parallel with the keel of the hull. Use a straight edge along the keel & over the strut to see the angle.
    Any chance of a side view shot of the rear of the boat.
    Again it might be the camera angle, but the rudder seems very short.
    I wouldn't have one trim tab down at a different angle to the others either. This could also set up the oscillation that turns into chine walk.

Cheers.
    Paul.

This has some good info I posted. It fixed this guys problem.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ght=Chine+walk
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I think it could definitely be my rudder. It has a lot of slack.!if tightened everything but I don't know how to get the pin out

Quote Originally Posted by jakevisser10 View Post
    I think it could definitely be my rudder. It has a lot of slack.!if tightened everything but I don't know how to get the pin out

That will do it no doubt. Take the set screw out and push the pin utheough the set screw hole with a pick.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

The screw set won't come out. It just strips my Allen wrenches

Quote Originally Posted by jakevisser10 View Post
    The screw set won't come out. It just strips my Allen wrenches
    You need to get a set of the red Allen wrenches. They are hardened. Made by dynamite.

Alright thanks. Do you think I need a new pushpin or could I just loctite the screws in place?

You need I slightly bigger pin to take up the slack

Can you help me find something that would work? I have the stock revolt 30 rudder.

Need the exact thickness of the pin in thousandths

I can't find the thickness online and I don't have a tool to measure it. :/

Here's how I fix sloppy rudder pins.
    Disconnect the rudder linkage from the rudder.
    Drip some THIN ca glue into the top & bottom of the rudder pin, and also the moving parts of the bracket & blade.
    Now continuously move the blade from left to right about 45 degrees each way until the glue sets.
    When you think it has set & you stop moving, be sure to move it again within 5 seconds to make sure. If you stop too early it will lock your rudder for good.
    If, when it has set, there is still some play there, repeat the process.
    Now simply add some drops of light machine oil to all moving parts.
    Works a treat.
    You may need to do it again in a year or so. But I've got boats that were done 2 & 3 years ago & they are still fine. Depends on how often you run them.
    But a few drops of light oil on rudder hinges every outing is part of preventative maintenance.

Hey guys I'm new to the site but I think I can help. I happened upon this thread by accident trying to figure out my own revolt. I won't hijack the topic with my own setup, but it's extremely similar to yours including the transom mounted pickup and positioning. Well no matter what, I couldn't get rid of my violent chine walking at over 30% throttle. I tried everything on the web, the boat would not respond! Well yesterday I finally cracked it, I removed the transom mounted pickup I installed on a wild hunch, and low and behold it ran straight, true, and fast! Did 47.1 mph on 4s which is my personal best with my revolt. Only a little inboard trim tab was needed to keep her level but still excellent now. So today I'm trying it with the pickup pointed straight to the end of the keel because I'm telling you guys it was yanking my revolt down from the side it was mounted to and causing a bad chine walk. Just my experience and 2 cents.

I've been curious about that since I first mounted it.

I decided to take it off as it wasn't really necessary. The cooling has never been a problem I just did it in the first place as a precautionary measure.

I also re-routed all the cooling lines. I just received my gps so I will hopefully be able to get a run in tomorrow!