Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with my first twin boat, dont know the way they should spinn and who prop

Default Help with my first twin boat, dont know the way they should spinn and who prop

Hello .

I got a new twin genesis rtr and it is my first twin motor boat.
    The manual i got was from a single genesis so it do not help so mutch.
    Dont understand completely how I can know that the flex spinnin right way .
    Is it ok to use superglue on the flex round end where its cuttet to protect them when i pull them into the motor coupler?

Flex shafts are different , so it's a reverse and a regular but are not sure who is who and who way them must spin to not be destroyed after the first run.

Should them spin in the same direction as the wires are wrapped around the flexshaft?

Attach a pictures of them and the props, dont know where the flex or the prop should be mounted left or right and witch way the motors should spin. The motors is factory mounted.

What about the stinger (second part from the flex system) Is it a reverse of theas or is it the same?
    Dosnt know if i mounted the prop right, just mounted them on, and on both prop it only stand tfl 36 19.

The flex to the right on pics have the wired spinned against right, and the left have the wires spinned against left, witch way must they spinn on the boat?
    Sorry for my English and hope you understand what i Wright about.
    Happy for help to get the boat on the water :)

20150612_203153_003_resized.jpg20150612_202422_001_resized.jpg20150612_202755_001_resized.jpg

The flex should spin so the motor pulls the wires tighter around if that makes sense. It looks like the flex on the right should go with the prop on the left, and most would rotate the props inward at the top, just like you have them in the pic.

Hello :)

Yes i understand that is important, but unsure witch way it should spin to pull the wires tighter.

I have painted on the pics so you could se.

The motor should spin the right flex should the same way as the clock? So it goes the same way that the last wire pointed like its twisted around?
    The store tells me that it not like that but the other way that they are twisted so im unsure.
    Motor on the left should go Counter clockwise With the flexshaft on the left on the pics?

Also a pics of the props with Paints on, i should change side on the stingers?

Do you know if the stinger (part two of the flex system) have any reverse part or is both the same?

20150612_202422_001_resized.jpg20150612_202755_001_resized.jpg20150612_203153_003_resized.jpg

The stingers and props are placed correctly in the picture, but you need to switch the flexes. The flex on the right should be in the prop and stinger on the left, rotating in the direction of a clock when looking from the rear of the boat.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Unsure, but now i have just change the props on the stingers and let the flex shafts stay.
    When i stand behind the boat the right motor spins right and left motor spins left.

Look at the pics and see if i could mount the right part to right motor that spins to right and left parts to the left motor that spinning to left.

Very happy for that you could help me, only this thing remain and i have glue every screw and im ready to run if i just could grease and Mount the flex and prop on a right way :)

See pics, only swap the props from the last pics i post20150613_022239_resized.jpg20150613_022234_resized.jpg20150613_021502_resized_2.jpg

Now leave the shaft and the prop that is in front of it as a pair.
    Now pick up the matching prop and shaft on the right side and put it on the left side (Looking at the boat from the rear) of the boat.

Props should turn inward looking from the rear,

Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

Yes, so my prop and flex is on the right sides on my last 3 pics?
    Right on Picture would fit right on the boat and spinn With the clock to right, and left flex and prop on pics would spinn anti clockwise against left?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpratt823 View Post
    The stingers and props are placed correctly in the picture, but you need to switch the flexes. The flex on the right should be in the prop and stinger on the left, rotating in the direction of a clock when looking from the rear of the boat.

This was not easy to understand for me, if i change side on the flex on the first pics, then the motor should spinn it the other way that the wires are twisted?
    Look at my last pics, everything like before but i changed prop sides.
    20150613_022239_resized.jpg
    Should the flex spinn the same way like they are twisted or not? If it the same way like they are twisted then the pics shows it right from the beginning, or is this wrong so i must change the flex shafts?

I am surprised that no one has mentioned this yet but there are two ways you can set your props up as far as the direction they spin.

Lookng at the back of the boat your props can spin to the inside or the outside. If you set your props up to spin to the outside meaning the prop on the right will spin clockwise and the prop on the left will spin counterclockwise it will have better handling and turn better at speed.

If you set the props up to spin to the inside meaning the prop on the right will spin counterclockwise and the crop on the left will spin clockwise the boat will have more speed but it won't handle or turn as well at speed.

here is what I do:
    First you need to know that there are two schools of ideas in regards to the rotations of twin props. As said , you should be looking at the transom when talking about rotation!
    1. props turning "inward"= left prop is clockwise, right prop CCW
    2. props turning "outward"=Left prop is CCW , right prop is clockwise
    Both have characteristics that you need to experiment.
    Start with No.1 school of idea. In general, Offshore racing prefers this type, however, if turning is somewhat difficult, try No.2.
    Each school may need stinger (drive) angle adjustments. Each hull is different.
    Now that you got this out of your way, let's look at the flex rotation. If you understand this, then you can swap many times without getting confused.
    The flex is like a rope, it needs to tighten under load, that means the rotation of the motor must twist the flex tighter. To determine this, grab the prop with your right hand (wear glove or use small towel to protect your hand) and don't let it move, rotate (twist) the "motor/collet" end according to the particular prop ( rotational direction of the prop as determined by the leading edge configuration), and look at the flex winding strand direction, it must "tighten up" .
    This requires a bit of visual imagination, the good news is that once you get the hang of it, you will be writing the next thread teaching the next guy who is asking the same question!
    Last edited by tlandauer; 06-13-2015 at 06:05 AM.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Quote Originally Posted by gsbuickman View Post
    I am surprised that no one has mentioned this yet but there are two ways you can set your props up as far as the direction they spin.

Lookng at the back of the boat your props can spin to the inside or the outside. If you set your props up to spin to the outside meaning the prop on the right will spin clockwise and the prop on the left will spin counterclockwise it will have better handling and turn better at speed.

If you set the props up to spin to the inside meaning the prop on the right will spin counterclockwise and the crop on the left will spin clockwise the boat will have more speed but it won't handle or turn as well at speed.
    Sorry Jim, we must be typing at the same time but you beat me, I didn't mean to "override" your thread.

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    No, this is wrong, you will loosen the "twist strands of the flex."
    Close your eyes and imagine.......
    Could you quote what i said was wrong? I Close my eyes hehe but its so hard for me, first thing i see is that the way the flex wires are mounted the same way must it rotate. Maby its fault. Tryed to twist a paper but it depend if i hold it from top or bottom witch way is get stiff or witch way it came loose.

In my first post, I said "most would rotate the props inward at the top". I was trying to keep it simple for now just so he gets the flexes on the right props for starters.

Have you twisted towels to dry them??
    Now, use only one had to twist , the other hand stay stationary...
    Close you eyes.....
    I don't know what to quote,,,,
    You didn't say anything wrong, your concept was a bit fuzzy: need to know first why certain set ups have certain particular rotations. Then, know how to identify which flex goes into which particular prop depending on the rotation.
    Just my $.02

In my first post, I said "most would rotate the props inward at the top". I was trying to keep it simple for now just so he gets the flexes on the right props for starters.

You are absolutely right and you are right to keep it simple,
    I only answered thinking on East Coast it is late, certainly I hope it wasn't insensitive to your reply....

Maybe consider a bolt or screw... the threads twist in one direction. If you lay/compare the flex shaft to the bolt/screw you will see if the flex is twisting same direction (Clockwise "CW") or the flex shaft is opposite (Counter or Anti Clockwise "CCW")
    Then you would want your motor to "tighten" the "bolt"(flex shaft) and turn the prop the same direction.

Hi again :) I going to try to explane.

I wrote this:
    This was not easy to understand for me, if i change side on the flex on the first pics, then the motor should spinn it the other way that the wires are twisted?
    Look at my last pics, everything like before but i changed prop sides.
    Should the flex spinn the same way like they are twisted or not? If it the same way like they are twisted then the pics shows it right from the beginning, or is this wrong so i must change the flex shafts?

Then you wrote this:

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    No, this is wrong, you will loosen the "twist strands of the flex."
    Close your eyes and imagine.......
    I Wonder what of it was wrong since i got 2 question :)
    Like i said it would be normal that the right motor spinn to right and left motor spin to left, and the shafts must be twisted the same rotation as it going to spin to not get loose wires?

understand that the prop could be both way and its just about speed and preformence? But the most important ting is to Mount the flex shaft With the twisted wires in right directions.
    I post a pics of it, my right motor spins against right and left against left (anticlockwise)
    Is it the right way to Mount this flex shaft when my motor are spinnin like they do?
    Her is a pics
    20150612_203153_003_resized.jpg
    Is it not a video some Place or pics that showing what is right rotation to the flexshafts?
    I could also make a video and show if that could help?

If the red arrows is motor rotation than the flex shafts are opposite. Move flex shaft to other sides.

Quote Originally Posted by shua View Post
    Maybe consider a bolt or screw... the threads twist in one direction. If you lay/compare the flex shaft to the bolt/screw you will see if the flex is twisting same direction (Clockwise "CW") or the flex shaft is opposite (Counter or Anti Clockwise "CCW")
    Then you would want your motor to "tighten" the "bolt"(flex shaft) and turn the prop the same direction.
    A great analogy, but I think you have it backwards. If the flex we're a bolt, when the shaft/bolt turned a nut would move towards the prop end of the shaft.......just like the "threads" force the grease out towards the prop. If a flex is installed backwards the excess grease comes back up the tube into the boat.

Last edited by kevinpratt823; 06-13-2015 at 11:48 AM.

Warerproof, I will take some pictures for you when I get home from work.

Waterproof, i should have never mess up this thread, I think my towel twisting analygy is correct, but my #12 post is incorrect, it's time for me to sleep, lol...
    Kevin, my sincere apologies!

That would be great. Thankfull for that. I could also post pics with the flex mounted to the boat when i get home today :-)

A great alalogy, but I think you have it backwards. If the flex we're a bolt, when the shaft/bolt turned a nut would move towards the prop end of the shaft.......just like the "threads" force the grease out towards the prop. If a flex is installed backwards the excess grease comes back up the tube into the boat.

True. The confusion starts when you are sitting behind the boat looking at the transom. Then everything gets reversed. (i think edited that post about three times because it was starting to confuse me! Lol)

You are using a left and a right hand prop.

To make sure that you have the correct prop with the correct shaft.
    Look at the picture below, The angle of the twist in the wires is in the same direction as the prop blade.

Larry

Hello.

Thanks Truckpull, now i see that the prop should point the same side as the wire, but i are realy comfused about how the flex shaft should spinn.

Here is a pics that i have zoomed in and remember my right motor spin to right with the clock and the left motor spin to the left anti clockwise.
    The same side as i have lay them on the white A4 paper on the desk on the pics last pics i posted up here.

kevinpratt823: Very happy and Nice of you if you could post pics of Your boat and tell me what way the motor spins.
    I did not get it on water yesterday eighter, must wait for help With this flex rotation stuff :)

zoomet.jpg

the flex on the right side point like this //// and left motor side the wire point like this \\\\ and remember my right motor spinn to right With the clock and left motor spinn to left anti clockwise.

That picture looks correct if you spin the right motor right with the clock, when looking from the rear.

Most people run there motors the other way, you would have to swap shafts to do that.

Either way, truck pull's picture shows you how the shaft should look in relation to the prop, and that is the important part for now. It is basically the same as what I was going to show you.

Quote Originally Posted by waterproof View Post
    Hello.

Thanks Truckpull, now i see that the prop should point the same side as the wire, but i are realy comfused about how the flex shaft should spinn.

Here is a pics that i have zoomed in and remember my right motor spin to right with the clock and the left motor spin to the left anti clockwise.
    The same side as i have lay them on the white A4 paper on the desk on the pics last pics i posted up here.

kevinpratt823: Very happy and Nice of you if you could post pics of Your boat and tell me what way the motor spins.
    I did not get it on water yesterday eighter, must wait for help With this flex rotation stuff :)

zoomet.jpg

the flex on the right side point like this //// and left motor side the wire point like this \\\\ and remember my right motor spinn to right With the clock and left motor spinn to left anti clockwise.

You can change the turning direction of any motor at any time to match the prop that you want on that motor,
    By Swapping any two wires on the brushless motors.

Always keep the props and shafts together as in my picture below.

Larry

Thank you. That is correct but i could only drive it for about 2 minutes before the left prop stopped.
    It is the part two of the flex system, the end on the flex with four sides seems to be to small so its just spinning around inside the strut.
    I will post Picture of it. Its real boring. What could i do with it? Must have a new flex shaft?

That picture looks correct if you spin the right motor right with the clock, when looking from the rear.

Most people run there motors the other way, you would have to swap shafts to do that.

Either way, truck pull's picture shows you how the shaft should look in relation to the prop, and that is the important part for now. It is basically the same as what I was going to show you.

Im very glad for your support. Its not easy to be new with dual motors. But like i said it dosnt last long. The four edge flex on left just slipp/slide into the stinger. Always when i bough something new it must be something that does so the boat stands on the table.. It must be to thin from the factory or the stinger is broken or littlebit to big.. Is it a way i could drive it before i try a new flex shaft?

What does the square end of the flex look like? Is it damaged/worn? Did you cut it too short?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast