Thread: Aquacraft 45amp esc question

Default Aquacraft 45amp esc question

One question I had about the Aquacraft 45amp ESC. Does that require any type of programming card? Since we started running it the throttle is a little different that what we are used to. It's almost like a two step accellaration process. When you hit the throttle the motor/prop spins about 25%, and then in a few seconds the rpms climb into the normal operating range. Sometimes if we stop out in the lake somewhere and try to start again we get very slow idle, and after a few trys of holding down the throttle we can get going again. This is a used unit powering a 3000kv motor with 8.4V nimh 5000mah pack on a Shockwave 26 surface drive.
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

No programming on that ESC.

Is it the new one thats all encapsulated, or the one with the blue heatsinks?

NEVER SATISFIED RACING

Heres your problem...

"Input Voltage: 12-14 NiMH, NiCd cells"

Product specs from back of header card. So are you suggesting I am having issues because I am only running 1 - 7cell pack?

05 - Package Back.jpg
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

Exactly. Later versions ( actually current version-60amp ) will only arm if supplied with 4s which is 14.8v.
    Your voltage is too low between 1-7 cell for the ESC to arm.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tlandauer; 06-08-2015 at 04:10 PM.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Well I'll be a son of a gun. Should I think about replacing that ESC then, because there is no room to run two batteries in my kids Shockwave 26........
    I mean it runs, but it's kind of a pain in the neck whether we can get the boat to actually go full throttle again. Is that potentially hurting it's overall performance capabilities?
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

If your going to replace it consider one of these.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Boat_ESC.html

Inexpensive and more gooder than the AQ. It's a technical term.

Or one like this
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...eaking-120a-v3
    Noisy person

More gooder, you're talking my language.

In theory there isn't anything wrong with that AQ esc right? I could save it and use it for another build, one where I could utilize two batteries, I would just need to make a parallel wiring harness right?
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

I like step 7 in the instructions warning not to use with liposs and yet in the specs it says input voltage 4 cell lipo. Confused much lol
    Brisbane,QLD, Aussie

Either that or run it on a 4 cell lipo pack.
    Brisbane,QLD, Aussie

I have to add in the LVC to safely stick with the AQ esc, so that's $20 plus the cost of a 4s lipo pack $55 I might as well just get a new ESC. On 4s I would be turning 44k rpms too, not sure that's a good idea for the Shockwave. That Turnigy Marine listed above is on Backorder though.....grr
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

3s would be about 33k rpms, might be more manageable, not sure what her manners would be like on the water or what prop size I could run.
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

But a new ESC for the shockwave and use the AQ45 for another build using a 4 cell lipo pack instead of 2 NIMH packs. The AQ 45 amp ESC and Proboat 1500 motor on 4s is a good setup in a 26 - 29 inch boat.
    Brisbane,QLD, Aussie

Quote Originally Posted by Tamelesstgr View Post
    3s would be about 33k rpms, might be more manageable, not sure what her manners would be like on the water or what prop size I could run.
    I'd say about 37mm
    Brisbane,QLD, Aussie

That's interesting thought because I will be doing a build for my younger son soon maybe next season when he has more driving experience. I've been wanting a BBY mono.

For what it's worth I was running the AQ2030 with the 50amp AQ ESC and 11.1 50c 5000 in mine before I got the new version and it moved well and was a good set up for a newbie. plenty run time and about 29 - 33mph. forgot what prop though. 2 cents worth The hobbyking ESC t,s davis suggested are great in the SW26 for real fun speeds!

In 2 weeks I am on vacation with the family, I plan on doing some through testing. Baseline with the 8.4 nimh, then a 2s, and my 3s pack is coming today. I've got to collect a lot of information because I believe it will help me understand all these parameters and how it equates to either speed or overloading the setup. I'll be doing GPS Speed and temps as well. GT Watt meter just arrived so I can get actual run max measurements versus the Hobby King unit I have that only shows bench testing or dropping the boat in a tub.

Capture 2.jpg
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING

No, actually it has more to do with the motor & hull\boat design...

1. - it's a 2-pole BLM, they take a couple seconds to wind up.

2. - I too have one of these boats setup in a very similar manner. Starts off with the nose way up in the air, starts leveling off, then gets on plane, then takes off like a jack rabbit. Mine has a 2000Kv 2-pole motor running on 3S with a Seaking ESC (7.5-degrees timing).

Get on You Tube & check out vids of the SW26 version-3's... NOT THE GREEN ONE's - these one's... http://www.proboatmodels.com/Product...ProdID=PRB0650 - they're rebadged \ relabeled \ re-marketed \ re what-ever you want to call it Impulse 26's... http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/marine...mpulse_26.html - originally designed to run a 550 brushed motor.

Maybe, just maybe the prop might be a bit too much for his setup. The factory prop on these boats is a plastic Prather S215 - 40.6mm dia x 2.5" pitch. Maybe, just maybe, he should try a x440 or x442 - CNC or S&B Octura, his choice.

FYI: Travis is running a CNC x443 on his green 60mph rocket ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Heres your problem...

"Input Voltage: 12-14 NiMH, NiCd cells"
    AQ MiniMono - CopterX 430XL 3550kv BL Outrunner + Seaking(V2) 35A on 2S VERY Fast
    Pro Boat SW26v3 - 2860-2600kv + Seaking(V2) 90A on 3S, Build in Progress
    Pro Boat Stealthwake 23 - Stock For Now - Brushless Down The Road

I plan on some sharpened and balanced props once I am done gathering data on the various 1.4 pitch plastic props I have. Want a good understanding of what works well before plunking down $ for a custom prop.

Tim,
    The 45-amp version doesn't need 4S to arm correctly - the 60-amp version does because it has built in LVC & stutter bump.

I used one of the 45's in a boat years ago, single 7-cell NiMH pack armed it just fine & the boat ran fine. 15+ mins runtime no prob. x442 prop.

Terry,
    The version-2 Turnigy's are disco'ed just like there Seaking brothers. Everything is V3 now unless you shop the forums for a V2.

Included links are dead BTW...

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    Exactly. Later versions ( actually current version-60amp ) will only arm if supplied with 4s which is 14.8v.
    Your voltage is too low between 1-7 cell for the ESC to arm.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
    AQ MiniMono - CopterX 430XL 3550kv BL Outrunner + Seaking(V2) 35A on 2S VERY Fast
    Pro Boat SW26v3 - 2860-2600kv + Seaking(V2) 90A on 3S, Build in Progress
    Pro Boat Stealthwake 23 - Stock For Now - Brushless Down The Road

Quote Originally Posted by RCBoaterGuy View Post
    Tim,
    The 45-amp version doesn't need 4S to arm correctly - the 60-amp version does because it has built in LVC & stutter bump.

I used one of the 45's in a boat years ago, single 7-cell NiMH pack armed it just fine & the boat ran fine. 15+ mins runtime no prob. x442 prop.
    This was for the SV27R as far as I can remember and the spec says input between 12-14 NiMH...... Most of the owners of that boat at that time if not running lipo batteries would have used either 12 or 14 cell packs of NiMH.
    I am glad that it worked for you with 7 cell.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Just a quick update, running 3s lipo I have not encountered any further issues, pretty much always moves with throttle blip. Still a little bit of a step with lower rpm then into the full range, but acceptable.
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING