Thread: Miss Geico 29 goes 62.6 mph, but no happy ending...

Default Miss Geico 29 goes 62.6 mph, but no happy ending...

20150605_202910.jpg20150605_203009.jpg20150605_202958.jpg

I don't know how else to get a Miss Geico 29 to stop porpoising. To be fair, the electronics are a bit over the top for the hull's abilities (Leo 4082 spinning an x447). The sponsons on this hull are so flat and even, I didn't bother with blueprinting. Still not sure it would have prevented this. I have the strut very low and at a negative angle, as well as the batteries as far forward as there is room on the battery trays. It's almost as if I the batteries need to be another few inches forward. But it will be a while before I figure it out. Tonight, a large oscillation overcame this hull and it decided to take flight. Thinking maybe some sealed, hollow tubes inserted into the front half of each sponson, then filling around them with epoxy/fiber-filler. Like pouring cement into the front half of the hull... That's probably ridiculous, but I'm a little disgruntled at the moment.

Same happened to mine, I "dripped" CA in to the crack and massaged the hull back to align the upper and lower. Then I clamped it down. Inside I poured two part expansion foam. I didn't entertain the idea of pouring epoxy because I thought it would be too heavy. Your separation is slightly more than mine, I will use good epoxy to drip thru the crack if possible. Clean out the loose gel coat and pieces of FG hull. You can ( if possible) lay a strip of FG cloth-tape on the inside of the seam. Although it is a bit too far in the bow. Mine was a bit towards the mid section.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

20150606_011245.jpg20150606_011126.jpg

So all that holds a Geico/BJ/Mystic 29 together at the seam is a bead of epoxy and a couple strips of balsa... It'll definitely need more reinforcing up there. The separation stopped at my carbon inlay. Who knows how much worse it would have been without that.

The resin is not top grade and the thin FG cloth layer was like paper. I remember trying to clean the inside and was amazed at the actual construction.
    The boat holds well until you push the limit.
    Too many boats, not enough time...