Thread: Atomik Barbwire XL

Default Atomik Barbwire XL

I just ordered the Atomik Barbwire XL as my first boat. I had heard that this boat was a rebranded Joysway Rocket, but the Rocket isn't available here in the USA.

Even though the boat has only been out a few weeks, I'm hoping that other owners might chime in and share some knowledge. My boat should be here in a few days and I'm eager to contribute anything that I can.

There is very little information out there on this boat. Some of my questions include:

1. It comes with a 3S battery, but can it be run on 2S? Is 3S the maximum voltage that the ESC can handle?

2. I couldn't find any specs on the motor. Anyone have any info on make/model or KV rating?

I own a barbwire and I love it. The self righting feature is phenomenal. Very handy.

You could run it on 2S, and 3S is the max. Anything higher would cause smoke to leak. It comes with a 3S 1300mah battery, I also use 2100mah batteries for longer run time.

As this is your first boat, two things you should always remember, 1) Tape the hatch to prevent water from getting in (I use clear hockey tape from any sporting goods store) 2) Always grease the flex shaft after every couple runs with marine grade grease.

I know the motor is a brushless outrunner, not sure about the kv.

Once you have played around with it, if you want to increase performance I'd recommend an upgraded propeller. I have an x432 (http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...rod=octsb-x432) on and it screams across the lake now. I also picked up an x632 (http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...od=SB-oct-x632) but haven't tried it yet.

Thanks Pheyd! That is some great info. I will have to order some tape right away.

So, you have the original Barbwire? I'm guessing the XL will be the same boat, only larger. I can't wait to get it so that I can see what the largest 3S battery that I can fit in the hull.

Thanks again!

I suppose I should've read your thread title :) Yes I have the original, not the XL. oops

regardless, the tip about tape and grease are for all boats. But this model definitely has my interest, I might have to pick it up!

I took your advice and just bought three rolls of hockey tape. I wasn't sure how long a roll would last or if you had to reapply new tape after each battery change. I figured 90' should last a good while.

I used a discount code and got the XL for $206 with free shipping, so I'm pretty happy. I'm really looking forward to hitting the river!

Always re-apply new tape after each battery change (the adhesive wont work for multiple runs). That's why I always get the cheap hockey tape, disposable and doesn't break the bank.

$206 with free shipping, wow! Where did you buy from? That's a good deal.

Thanks for the help. I guess I will have plenty of rolls to share with my buddies who are also new to boats.

I ordered from the Atomik RC website. Enter the word "RETURN" in the coupon code area. $206 shipped.

I ordered my XL and it is due Friday. I know that when you increase the Mah you increase the size of the case. My question is, how big of a 3s mah fits in the XL?

I don't think you would want to go much bigger than the 2200mah (which comes with the boat). With my 2200mah packs, there isn't much room after they are installed (maybe 1/2" length wise). The boat has the self righting port on the same side as the battery hold down, and there is always a very noticeable list to that side. So much so, that people often ask me if the boat is sinking. If you increase the size and weight of the battery, the lean would be even worse.

Pack changes are quick and painless. Just stock up on some GOOD 2200mah packs. Word of advice, get at least 40C packs. I've run 20C and 30C packs and the boat will intermittently shut off and the motor runs hot. 40C runs great and the motor runs cool.

Any barbwire xl owners have any issues with the self righting feature? Mine will sit on its back all day. I even tried pushing it underwater with my hand to help fill up the flood chamber but it won't turn. Not even a little.