Thread: spartan flotation

Default spartan flotation

Dear spartan owners. I am looking for some tips on keeping the entire hull above water (after a flip/crash). If it's even possible. I went through multiple articles on here and apologize if this has already been covered.

The other day my spartan got a little too loose and did the bouy up dance. Due to my negligence, I had no method of retrieval (had a few other boats, but that thing is hard to push when it's bouy up. Needless to say I sat at the pond for two hours waiting for it to float ashore.

Anyways this isn't the first time thats happened. I've seen pool noodles in them, curious of anyone has done that and how it's worked. Taping the hatch is a pita. Could run some window insulation around the hatch but I doubt that would keep water out. Any ideas?

How flexible is the hatch. I know the hull is ABS plastic. Travis has got the hatch lock and sealing down to an art form, he can tell you, but I am afraid if the hatch is too flexible, you might still want to have some tape handy. I could be wrong on this though.
    The reason I am writing here is to say that you should think of some kind of vessel to rescue your stranded boats. You are lucky so far the wind has been your friend. It is easy to take it for granted as I have, then the day will come when either there is no wind or your boat is actually sinking and time is of importance.
    Here again, Travis has a rescue rig that is worth taking a look. I believe there is a recent thread on that. Should not be difficult to build and in fact might be a fun project.
    Just my $.02
    Good luck!
    Too many boats, not enough time...

The hatch is super flexible and pops off almost every time. a rescue boat would probably be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    How flexible is the hatch. I know the hull is ABS plastic. Travis has got the hatch lock and sealing down to an art form, he can tell you, but I am afraid if the hatch is too flexible, you might still want to have some tape handy. I could be wrong on this though.
    The reason I am writing here is to say that you should think of some kind of vessel to rescue your stranded boats. You are lucky so far the wind has been your friend. It is easy to take it for granted as I have, then the day will come when either there is no wind or your boat is actually sinking and time is of importance.
    Here again, Travis has a rescue rig that is worth taking a look. I believe there is a recent thread on that. Should not be difficult to build and in fact might be a fun project.
    Just my $.02
    Good luck!
    Thx t. I don't care much for pool noodles as they could come out in a hard flip. I prefer 2 part marine foam. If done correctly you won't have any issues. I can elaborate if you decide to go this route.

I never run my boats without my recovery. It will bring in a nose up boat too.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Kfx, I am interested in this. If I can keep the spartan afloat after a flip, that would be a miracle. I think I have seen that stuff on the ose website. Keeping the hatch on every time would be a good start though.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Thx t. I don't care much for pool noodles as they could come out in a hard flip. I prefer 2 part marine foam. If done correctly you won't have any issues. I can elaborate if you decide to go this route.

I never run my boats without my recovery. It will bring in a nose up boat too.
    Travis, I may have to ask you to walk me thru with this, I am just too busy at the moment, have one boat that absolutely needs it , also for integrity reasons, hope you won't mind my taking your time, may be next month!

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    Travis, I may have to ask you to walk me thru with this, I am just too busy at the moment, have one boat that absolutely needs it , also for integrity reasons, hope you won't mind my taking your time, may be next month!
    Hit me up, I don't mind one bit. There is a method to it or you'll muck up a good hull in about two minutes lol
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Thanks!