Thread: What props should I get for my setup?

Default What props should I get for my setup?

I am going to be running a leopard 4082 1600kv with a turnigy 180 amp esc. I have the kintec dual intake rudder installed, so my temps should be a bit better. With the 1600kv motor, I figure that I can swing a slightly larger prop...I was thinking an x642 or a M445 possibly. I have a feeling that the M445 will be too much :/ Let me know what props you guys have ran and what works/doesn't work. Also, what kind of speeds should I expect?

Which boat?
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Spartan lol

lol...never mind. It's hard to see when one is just viewing this thread, something the Forum needs to modify in the future.

M445 should work, it is not too much when compared to the x642 which has more pitch.
    Last edited by tlandauer; 05-22-2015 at 12:05 PM. Reason: correct info

That's gotta be a typo. M445?
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    That's gotta be a typo. M445?
    yes, my very bad bad
    Thank you! M445 it is.

I am going to be sport running this boat on 6s, so if that will keep things cool enough with good performance, then that is what I'll go for!

Typical props with that setup are M445, x447, x642.

I have a very similar setup and started with x442. Still trying to find a way to mitigate chine walk before I try a larger prop. That leopard motor is so much more power than stock, noticed a huge change even with an x442, cant keep her stable above 40 mph.

Is the chine walking because of the hull? or is that something all deep-vees have?

Ya, it happens to all monos. Some hull designs are better than others to mitigate chine walk.

From my research, some guys say its the position of the strut coming out of the transom. Some have raised it about 4mm and offset it 1 or 2 mm to the starboard side. I don't really want to do that, it would involve filling in the existing hole and making a new one (which is a pain cuz of how the transom is with all the pockets on the inside.

Trying to find other ways to get rid of the chine walking, some ideas are playing with the strut angle and adding weight (i.e. double up on batteries in parallel). Tried playing with trim tabs, but that didn't do much because once you are on plane the hull is barely touching the water.

The stock trim tabs on the Spartan are to far to the outside of the hull to have any affect when running at high speed with the hull high out of the water. You need tabs closer in to the stinger to have any control on reducing chine walk.

Would i be better off with another setup? Perhaps buying a revolt or pursuit mono?

After I saw my neighbor's Spartan run and all the problems he had with it I stayed away.
    I have a Revolt 30 and an HK Pursuit and they are both truly excellent boats on 4s.
    I believe the Revolt 30 RTR has just now come back in stock at Tower Hobbies.

Is it hard to sharpen and balance your own props? can I buy the props your talking about already done from ose? Thanks for any info!

dasboata.com with help with any prop needs, He also gets on this forum.