Thread: how to fix holes

Default how to fix holes

I tried to install a new water outlet in the side of the body and cracked the body when drilling it. Anyone know the best way to fix and fill in the holes ?

If you can post a picture it would help with suggestions. There are a few different ways depending on the damage.

I used the templet for the dual water outlet and tried to install bigger hose and the nipple broke off one side so was thinking of just filling them in some how and just use two single water outlets but have to relocate due to all the damage. U can't see in the pic but it has a bigger crack that split so was trying to strengthen it. Thx for your advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No help??

Quote Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
    No help??
    Actually, it might have escaped the attention that it deserved.
    I don't have this boat, so it is not first hand experience and also it is hard to tell the complete story from your pic.
    The first thing I WOULD Do is to see if the holes are too close to the joint seam of the hull. Reason is you need to reach to the inside and have a piece of plastic ( ABS) or some plywood that is thin but can reinforce the back.
    Use medium CA and after it's cured the repaired area should be quite strong. But the most important thing is to make sure the backing plate is in contact with the hull flat. So if it is along the seam and if it is not flat, then you need to fill up the void with some thickened epoxy.
    I have fixed the Rio EP hull which is ABS. My problem was I beached the boat and rammed it into a mud shore line and the sudden stoppage caused the battery platform to tear away. Also the hull split opened right along the seams. The result was satisfactory and the conclusion was that the CA glue works on the ABS, at least on the Rio.
    If the area around the repair is strong and for cosmetic reasons you decide to re-drill the same area, I suggest your backing plate be large enough to accommodate both water fittings. ABS tears easily, use smaller drill bits and gradually increase your dia. to desired size.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Forgot to mention, roughen up the area to be glued, sand paper ( 100 grit) would do. Although the CA has a penchant of "melting" the material to be glued and sanding is beneficial but not as crucial as with epoxy gluing.
    Too many boats, not enough time...