Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scale 50" Apache - Electric - Aeromarine

Hello everyone... so got some more parts and pieces in....

1. Got the Giant Power Lipos in... 4S 5000.... surprised how HUGE they look in comparison to a Venom 35C 3S pack... is it just the high C rating that makes them so big?
    2. Thunder Power 2700 2S Lipo Receiver Battery
    3. Selection of Props... the ABC 56MM 3 blade DOES come set for 1/4" drive... I also have a 60MM 3 blade coming so this gives me everything from 56 to 70 to test... at least it is a good range

Will try to get everything soldered this weekend!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Also figured with these new batteries I would need a better charger... so picked up this sweet Passport Duo 400W... programming seems super intuitive and should allow me to charge two of these 5000 4S at decent amperage no problem...

Default June Update

Greetings and happy Friday! Well, finally got a little free time and finished most of the soldering work... Now sending everything off to Chip to have the custom motor mount built and soon should be in business...

Also got all the props back balanced and sharpened (thanks Dasboata)... So now have the following to test...

1. 53MM / 1.6 3 blade 2. 60MM /1.4 3 blade 3. 67MM / 1.4 2 blade 4. 67MM / 1.7 3 blade 5. 70MM / 1.4 2 blade (guessing this should cover the range) - see photo

Also ordered replacement gears and bearings (both not expensive and free shipping from Arrow Shark which is nice)...

Wanted to share the latest!

Very nice! Looking forward to seeing it completed. I love the scale drive also.

The one thing that is especially nice about the arrowshark drive is that it is manufactured so it is easily serviced by the user. And parts are reasonably priced. Other manufacturers gear type outdrives from past had to be sent back to the manufacturer for any repairs as gear setup was hard to do. They would not usually sell you any parts.

Dave102... thanks for the nice words... Yes, the folks at Arrow Shark have been darn nice so far... "Johnny" responds almost instant to emails... and when I said I was in a hurry to get some of the items, said "no worries, we will ship priority at no extra cost"... you do not see that often from the foreign companies...

following with interest
    any progress?

Axel,

Greetings... sorry for going dark since June... somehow life gets in the way on these things... have a new little girl at home taking some time... and sent the boat to Chip to have the custom motor mount made / etc... and he has been slammed as well... my guess is I will get the boat back from Chip in September... and finish it in time to test run before the lake freezes!! (I hope)....

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    I commented on your thread on RC Groups (i think thats where it was)..I'm not familiar with that out-drive, but my concern is whats inside it, gears/cable???

If it was designed for gas boats, then there may be issues with how long the innards will survive with an electric motor.
    Sorry I think that I am missing something. I can't see why an electric motor would be more destructive on the outdrive than a gas motor. Can someone enlighten me ? Not meaning to be start an arguement, merely curious

Quote Originally Posted by gb tiggycat View Post
    Sorry I think that I am missing something. I can't see why an electric motor would be more destructive on the outdrive than a gas motor. Can someone enlighten me ? Not meaning to be start an arguement, merely curious
    Answer has to do with torque and the amount of initial torque applied at start up... an electric motor can produce significantly more torque at start up than a similar total output gas motor... where a gas motor has to "wind up" to produce the same torque... a Tesla electric car is a good example... capable of producing its full torque range from zero MPH where a gas sports car will only produce its peak torque after load is put on the motor...

Hope this all makes sense...
    Last edited by bonefisher; 08-28-2015 at 03:59 PM.

Default Current Update

Greetings... well so it took a year ;-)

Got some more photos... custom carbon fiber motor mount is in... motor is in, steering is all set, ESC is in, weight / balance figured out, and needed a new (smaller) radio box... but progress is being made... hope to have back for testing soon... in addition Chip is adding scale water exhaust pickups on the back (the two small pipes you see between motor and transom)...

Photos attached...

IM001899.jpgIM001898.jpgIM001895.jpgIM001894.jpgIM001893.jpg

Love those center consoles you have there!

Default More Updates

Got some more photos... Custom stand complete... interior almost done... Custom outflow pipes on the water cooling (exhaust) are in...

IM001907.jpgIM001918.jpgIM001893.jpgIM001910.jpg

I built a central marine fountain 58 780kv 10s2p runs good ! Looks like you're going to have fun with yours too
    I had to mount my motor in the back to . to keep my CG in the 27 28% Mark

Default More Photos

Thanks KLBO! was that a direct drive on the 58 fountain?

Got some more photos to share...

Got everything glassed in... cooling hoses in... more scale touches going on shortly...

IM001901.jpgIM001903.jpgIM001907B.jpg

You're boats looking great and yes it was a surface drive

Default More Updates - Almost There

IM001945.jpgIM001943.jpgIM001907B.jpg

Getting close... radio box all in and set! Floats are in... all switches tucked in and pretty waterproof!

Water testing is close!

I need to start working on larger boats! So much room in there for my baseball mit size hands.
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

image.jpg
    Sure there's plenty a room to work on them but try getting them out of the seller without banging walls!! Lol

Sweet boat! Anticipating the vid. ; ) It looks like you have quite a hobby room too.

Default First Run!

Greetings and happy Monday to all... well, finally got everything set and ran the boat... summary...

1. All the interior details were finished including finding black pool noodles, installing LIPO receiver gauge, etc.
    2. Boat is HEAVY with the 4 4S / 5000MAH Giant Powers - I have not put on the scale but guessing close to 30lbs
    3. Went with the DASBOATA 60 1.4 3 blade to start
    4. Put the oil mixture in the bottom case and top case as instructed
    5. Put her in the water... sat well... balance seemed good...
    6. Arrowshark said no more than 50% throttle for first 20 mins
    7. Boat planed off well and the NOISE - loved it... sounded almost like an outdrive!
    8. Was SUPER pleased at the power... at 30-40% power boat was planes nicely and running probably 20-25MPH
    9. Ran her varied for 5 mins, pulled in, checked all and super cool, no heat, and dry as a bone
    10. Ran her 15 more mins, slowly getting up to half throttle... quick running and the weight created a nice "wake" - Prop seems about perfect... but more testing to come
    11. After 20+ Mins, took her up to 3/4 throttle... wow... fast... got close to full throttle on one pass and just about to video... and something came loose...
    12. Luckily recovered no issue... and sounded like something stripped (was worried it was the gears)
    13. After getting the drive open last night, found that the 1/4 Flex shaft had snapped (relieved as it should be easy to fix)
    14. Wondering if I programmed too much steering throw? Or had gotten the wrong direction wind cable? Would LOVE any thoughts

So, all in all SUPER pleased... great look in the water, great movement, great sound... now just need to figure out what caused the cable snap... :-)

Will upload videos next... (although they may be sideways... SORRY)

IMG_9034.jpgIMG_9042.jpgIMG_9039.jpgIMG_9044.jpg

IMG_9076.jpg

Default Videos

So two videos...

First was the very first try - about 20-25% throttle... simple loop...

Second video was running probably 50% throttle...

https://youtu.be/q-E-Jx2ylyI

https://youtu.be/qbfTXB1uL14

That is one NICE BOAT!!!!
    Proboat Voracity-E 36" , Proboat Zelos 36 Twin , Proboat Miss Geico 29" , Traxxas Spartan, Fightercat Daytona, Zonda

THANKS Keagan!!! Thrilled I finally got her running!! Amazing how much power the 8S is on the 50" hull... was worried about it...

I can't stop drooling over that thing, gorgeous boat!!! I am very interested in scale offshore builds, would like to do one myself eventually. The M8 drives looks amazing, fits the hull well. I just bought one of the small TFL P1 drives to use on an old 30" Dumas V-bottom i have sitting around, the hull resembles a 25' Checkmate Convincor in a way, so the drive will look good hanging off the back. I gotta ask about you about those boats you have on the shelves in the background from this pic (see below lol), one of those hulls (bottom left) is a scale Carlson CPS-20 aka Flying Wedge, where in the world did you find that as an R/C hull?? Very cool!! Anyways, love the Apache, looks great on the water!!

rcb's.jpg

So... made some good progress! Got a couple of new 1/4 Shafts... apparently the one I had was heated and not pressed? So cut to size, greased, installed... and was able to run the boat at close to pull potential...

And I am BEYOND pleased... the boat runs super stable and fast... my lake got small real fast...

Got to just over 50 MPH before having to pull back... believe she will run mid 50's... and everything electric was nice and cold - almost no heat at all... running the 60 1.4 3 blade SS prop...

There is a couple of videos here... you can hear the boat wind up pretty good...

All in all could not be happier....

https://youtu.be/sQamZK0clFg

https://youtu.be/MoQQZ9f71rg

IMG_9198.jpg

Default But Need Help on Steering

I do have one problem need the groups help on...

I do not love the way the steering connects to the drive... you can see from the photo here that there is a push rod connector / lock screw to on the bottom of the drive steering arms...

I think it allows too much play and the idea of a single lock allen is scary with this much torque... and there is some definite slop...

You can see the holes are already drilled for the soft cable (guessing 4-40) -- would love ANY IDEAS on how to make better??

If there was a fitting i could replace the current pushrod connector that would allow a clevis to install? Then solder a clevis to the end of the wire???

Would love any help...

IMG_9201.jpg IMG_9202.jpg

2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Great build, glad it turned out well, nice video too
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

Good Friday everyone... as I have been enjoying this boat so much, and it is dialed in so nice, I was reading back through this blog last night and wanted to take a minute and say THANK YOU to everyone who helped me so much... there was too many things to count I did not know... special thanks to Sonic24, madmilkepags, Dave102, and especially Make-a-Wake!

Anyway, standby for the next build... I am addicted now but the next one will be double the fun (hint hint)... again... THANKS... could not have done it without everyone on here....

Awesome boat bonefisher...I have the same hull I just acquired and want to convert it as well.
    How do you think that motor would do with a direct drive speed master setup?
    Thanks...20170311_173837.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast