Thread: ESC Burst amp?

Default ESC Burst amp?

Hi, is the burst amp really important on a boat for an ESC?

That is just a rating to tell you in a very short period of time the max amp the ESC can handle. It is not a feature but part of the usual spec a factory will give. Some are unrealistic, IMO like the Seaking V3, they have a huge gap between the constant rating and the peak rating. it is important that your set up be well within the constant rating. Here is the spec on the Seaking 180A V3 ESC:
    Specification
    Continuous Current: 180A
    Peak Current: 1080A
    Input: 2-6S Lipo
    BEC Type: Switch Model
    BEC Output: 6V/5A
    External Programming Port: Available
    Water Cooling Pipe (Inside / Outside): 3.0 / 5.4 mm
    Size (Include the Water Cooling Pipe): 72X48X36.6mm
    Weight: 207g

I will take the Peak current rating with a grain of salt.....
    As for that rep from Takin, I think he is trying to cover his rear end, there has to be a threshold and I suspect he is reluctant to give the info out to avoid any warranty claims.
    Last edited by tlandauer; 05-08-2015 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Correcting my misconception
    Too many boats, not enough time...

It is important to know where the threshold is as the system in your boat would have spikes , any time you turn the boat and power out the corner , when the speed is varied, the momentary unloading of the prop and then the loading up again, the scenario goes on and on and on. That is why really careful builders and racers use logging feature on the ESC to study how big is the peak and where the constant numbers are.
    It is not whether the boat needs it or not, it is a phenomenal one can't avoid.

The burst rating is when your ESC bursts because you believed the rating. I like to keep my peaks under the continuous rating of the ESC, it cant always be done but I always feel like I am risking it when I don't.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

I stand corrected then, i am confusing the word "burst" with peak rating,thanks for chiming in!

lol... English is not my native language, I took the term Burst Rating as "momentary rating"

They should be a peak rating, but I suspect many are total BS, or a figure that their ice cold test sample survived when applied for half a picosecond, whereas realistic peaks while short are much longer and can be applied to a warm or hot ESC.

I remember back in the early 90s when ESCs were in their infancy buying a Hitec 30A ESC and all the big writing on the box said 340A and the 30A continuous rating was in small print spec chart on the back, I did check the small print as it was a big purchase back then and I thought it was fine as I was only pulling 28A average, but knowing what I do now my peaks where probably close to 60A and it quickly died.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Hi, i just saw all your replies, and i noticed i used the wrong word, i meant peak amp. But is it the same thing?

I always thought the word "burst" means a moment's peaking or max spike.
    Now I am just as confused, lol....

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    I always thought the word "burst" means a moment's peaking or max spike.
    Now I am just as confused, lol....

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
    Me too!