Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another reason why all your electronics should be waterproof

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    All of the Spektrum RX's come with Relikoat now. Not sure on that spelling.

I've not tried the orange RX's. At that price you could pot them in DP270. Are those the ones that Hobbyking sells?

I know that the DX3 was DSM2 tech and that the DX4 is now DSMR which was supposed to have better signal. I've been looking at this a lot in the passed week or so.
    I had a dx3 s and now have a dx4s and the dx4s does seem to reach further. The orange ones do work with it. I bought three orange receivers in a three pack for $40 shipped on eBay. Kintec sells them and eBay has them. You can use general purpose clear epoxy on them to waterproof them. I submerged one with the epoxy on it and it worked fine right after and still works. I've been using a couple of them as an experiment for a while. So far neither of those have failed me.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Go with a Futaba Fasst waterproofed if you want dependable range beyond outa sight that works under water.

Left this under for water submerged for 72 hours and it passed range check while still under the water with as much range as a brand new receiver that was used to compare to.

I use a piece of 4mm brass tube bent to the shape I need (also works as a guide for the antenna) instead of a standard holder. The silicon tube acts as a hinge, as there will be a gap between the brass and the plastic tube in the silicon piece.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have completely lost my hatch several times in flip overs and never burned nothing up. If your going to get water in the boat make sure it grounds out to the lake. Dead shorts are the worst.
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by CornelP View Post
    I use a piece of 4mm brass tube bent to the shape I need (also works as a guide for the antenna) instead of a standard holder. The silicon tube acts as a hinge, as there will be a gap between the brass and the plastic tube in the silicon piece.

I got it squared away. Marine heat shrink, the kind with the glue in it.

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

That is a good plan Travis. Should add some rigidity to the tube at the holder. Been awhile since mines gone over but last time the pressure bent the tube over. Could've been a break. I've used cooling tube in a pinch before but it is too flexi.

Travis, T.S. Davis is correct. The SR410 and SR310 DSMR protocol receivers are all water resistant. When they get wet, they will freak out the electronics because there is nothing we can do to keep the contacts/pins from shorting out when wet. But leave them in the sun or hit them with a hair dryer and off you go again. The one thing we don't recommend you do is flip the coax over the antenna tube and put on an antenna cap. The cap usually ends up breaking the coax, which is the most important part of receiver's reception. I make the antenna tube slightly longer than the wire and then put the cap on to keep water out.

DSMR receivers also have way more range than the previous protocol.

Most of my test receivers have ben under water more than once and I have yet to have to throw one away.

Messy, but I also fill the aluminum antenna mount with marine grease for extra precaution, slip on a piece of silicone water tubing and then slip on the antenna tube.

My $.02
    Rafael Lopez
    Product Developer-Pro Boat
    My Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010183246751

The receiver pins should not cause issues just being wet. Unless it is salt water or loaded with extremely high mineral levels the resistance of water is not low enough to even alter the 1500us servo center signal.
    If your receiver is acting up when wet it is because the internal much more sensitive electronics are being affected by the water probably not the output pins.

A fully submerged properly waterproofed receiver will not do anything different under water even with all the pins submerged. Not even a wiggle or a glitch.

Yea if that is the coax that is pulled out of the tube with the cap pushed on over it you can consider that coax antenna ruined. One sharp kink like that will destroy the coax every time.

I speak for our Spektrum receivers, when water falls in between the pins it can short them out. You simply need to remove the connectors and blow out the water. They work good as new with the water displaced from the connectors/pins.

All water has minerals. Water is conductive. We cant change physics.
    Last edited by Rafael_Lopez; 05-08-2015 at 07:02 PM.
    Rafael Lopez
    Product Developer-Pro Boat
    My Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010183246751

Use dielectric grease on the receiver and connectors. It is available at auto parts stores. It will keep the water from making contact with the pins. Just spread a small blob over the connectors after plugging in to the receiver sealing out the water.
    41" & 29" FE Aeromarine Sprint Cats, Quickdraw powered "Dollar Eater" 41" Insane Cat, 29" BL mod Graupner Cat, 24" Hydro, 29" OB Cat, BL mod NQD Tear Into Jet boat, 55" Scarab, JET SWEEP R/C pool skimmer Rescue Boat.

Quote Originally Posted by 78MaicoRider View Post
    Use dielectric grease on the receiver and connectors. It is available at auto parts stores. It will keep the water from making contact with the pins. Just spread a small blob over the connectors after plugging in to the receiver sealing out the water.
    I use these Traxxas reciever boxes they come with dielectric grease, they are awsome! I submerged one in a 5gal. bucket for a week and not a drop in it. All my boats have one... http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...p?prod=dh-3628

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez View Post
    I speak for our Spektrum receivers, when water falls in between the pins it shorts them out. You simply need to remove the connectors and blow out the water. They work good as new with the water displaced from the connectors/pins.

All water has minerals. Water is conductive. We cant change physics.
    Thank god Futaba can.

Futaba doesn't glitch a hitch with wet output connections. It keeps the output at the specified pulse per second even when things such as high resistance water is in contact with the pins.

Check the video again. The servo's aren't glitching one iota. Rock solid. It soaked for 48 hours prior to the test. I put a weight on top and forgot about it. https://youtu.be/jC5INp1Wxxc

In my electronic ignition boat there is a servo extension connection going to the ignition unit that will shut down the ignition if there is a glitch in the channel 3 it is plugged into. Guess what ? that servo extension has it's plug outside the radio box and lays in the bottom of the boat and most often it is soaking wet if not submerged. Never has it shut down the ignition from a sensed glitch or signal loss. If it gets off the exact signal you have when you setup the ignition it will kill the engine. Never happened yet.

Could be another reason why Spectrum crashes boats.
    If they don't just loose signal bone dry like they did with two brand new boats of mine both on maiden voyages (brand new 2.4 radio with 2 receivers first use on each ) in turn four on a tight course both lost signal and failsafes straight into the rocky bank and destroyed them one after the other in 10 minutes time with both antenna's fully up in separate tubes above the entire boat.

Futaba's haven't let me down once since.

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace1962 View Post
    Thank god Futaba can.

Futaba doesn't glitch a hitch with wet output connections. It keeps the output at the specified pulse per second even when things such as high resistance water is in contact with the pins.

Check the video again. The servo's aren't glitching one iota. Rock solid. It soaked for 48 hours prior to the test. I put a weight on top and forgot about it. https://youtu.be/jC5INp1Wxxc

In my electronic ignition boat there is a servo extension connection going to the ignition unit that will shut down the ignition if there is a glitch in the channel 3 it is plugged into. Guess what ? that servo extension has it's plug outside the radio box and lays in the bottom of the boat and most often it is soaking wet if not submerged. Never has it shut down the ignition from a sensed glitch or signal loss. If it gets off the exact signal you have when you setup the ignition it will kill the engine. Never happened yet.

Could be another reason why Spectrum crashes boats.
    If they don't just loose signal bone dry like they did with two brand new boats of mine both on maiden voyages (brand new 2.4 radio with 2 receivers first use on each ) in turn four on a tight course both lost signal and failsafes straight into the rocky bank and destroyed them one after the other in 10 minutes time with both antenna's fully up in separate tubes above the entire boat.

Futaba's haven't let me down once since.
    Let's not turn this into a bash Spektrum thread. I love my Spektrum radio. The marine receivers have given me issues but I've yet to try the new stuff. I talked to a rep and the issues of the mr receivers is supposed to be gone in their new stuff. Plus their new stuff reaches further and only has one antenna. I'll be switching over to the new receivers soon. I'd suspect if your boat took off then it may have been user error when setting up your fail safe. I've never had one run away from me. I don't think I'll be switching anytime soon, I like the simplicity and layout of the Spektrum transmitters.

I have at least 10 boats with mr3000 rx in each one..never a problem at all...some boats get a little water in them most dont but never a problem just remember to not bend the last 1.5 inches of the antenna and you are good to go.....
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

I use these same receivers and used the liquid electrical tape with not the best results. Did everything but the pins. Daniel how do you waterproof these please.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielplace1962 View Post
    Go with a Futaba Fasst waterproofed if you want dependable range beyond outa sight that works under water.

Left this under for water submerged for 72 hours and it passed range check while still under the water with as much range as a brand new receiver that was used to compare to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12