Thread: Gettin' back into it....

Default Gettin' back into it....

Finally getting around to making a little progress on my proposed 1977 Miss Atlas. Have a basic mock-up, but you will have to excuse the sloppy looks. It will all sand out in the end. Need a little advice on strut height, should the power be moved fore or aft? Any thoughts would be nice. Also looking for a good rudder to get next. The current parts list are..ML Boatworks kit, Turnigy 1400KV outrunner, Turnigy 120amp esc, 445 prop (just for the mock up), Basic Duratrax batteries in the nose for the mockup...4s total. Boat as you see it is 4.75 lbs on the wife's pampered chef scale. Also looking to possible source a cowling without dropping ridicoulous(sp) money on it.
    KIF_4495.jpgKIF_4496.jpgKIF_4497.jpgKIF_4498.jpgKIF_4499.jpg

What scale is this kit?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

1/10.

I'm using a vacupickle cowl on a 1/1o ML kit. Only about 10 bucks.
    It's the one on the left in the following link.

http://www.vac-u-boat.com/Vac-U-Pickle%20Cowls.htm

Check with Mitch at Hydroscalecreations.com. He posts as Coug90 here.
    Ron
    1/10th 2014 U-6 Oberto ,1999 U-6 Miss Madison, 1971 U-6 Miss Madison, 1976 U-6 Miss Madison Unlimited Hydros

Yup what Ron said Mitch has great 1/10th scale acessories

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    Billy Graham

Well, took some more photos of my mockup. Added ride pads to sponsons. Saw an old thread on Rum Runner suggesting T600 1400kv outrunner, x648 prop...(4s setup). I have the outrunner but not prop yet. The one in photos is a M445? Cannot remember. It is using flexcable I had laying around from Kintec, with Teflon tube. Most hardware mock install complete. Waiting for plywood from ML Boatworks to cut deck skins. Trying to get with Mitch Dillard on a cowl for the 1977 atlas. He has none. Anyone modded and '84 Atlas cowl? I may have to scratch build one. Also saw Thunderboat Graphics taking no orders. Is this true? Any other ideas for sources for these items? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. My first "real" rc boat!!!
    KIF_4502.jpgKIF_4503.jpgKIF_4504.jpgKIF_4505.jpgKIF_4506.jpg

Well, finally skinned the boat and coated with west system. May try to run it quick to be sure it performs ok before I go any further. Made a runimentary cowling and fin mockup. Man, it seems like building a house would be easier! Of, course this is my first rodeo...wood and all.
    KIF_4531.jpgKIF_4532.jpgKIF_4534.jpg

wow that looks fantastic for any boat! let alone your first! Very nice shine on the epoxy seal and deck as well, keep up the good work!
    BIG BOY HYDROPLANES----My first RC boat and build project to boot: (and more content in my profile gallery!) ---- https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...proposed-setup

Wish I could have helped out with a Blue Blaster cowling, but it looks like you have a good start on one. I just have all of my time wrapped up in prep for moving to our new place. The shop is all packed up in boxes and we move in a couple of weeks. I should be up and running soon after that and do plan on doing a 77 Atlas cowling at some point. Right now all I have is the 83 Atlas style. Looks like you have a great start on your project. Maybe I can help on a future build. Happy building!!
    Mitch Dillard
    1:10 Scale Hydroplane Enthusiast
    hydroscalecreations.us, email:hydroscale@gmail.com

Well it seems I blew it on my first attempt at a cowling and made it too narrow and or too short. Got carried away sanding. Kinda handcuffed myself with the narrow access hatch, but it was set up as such being an ML boatworks kit. May have too figure out an intentional overhang on the cowling width. Back to drawing board.
    KIF_4536.jpgKIF_4544.jpg

The build turned out really nice! I am sure you will get the cowling plug right..Be careful with using polyester resin on that foam. Epoxy resin is probably OK, but I know for a fact polyester (syrene based resins), will eat that foam and make it like a soft sponge.. Don't ask me how I know! Be careful with body filler directly touching the foam as well..it is syrene based too! Good luck! Mike Luszcz
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Well, just another step. Got the tail fins on...before you comment, they are epoxied in. Thought about it, and the consequenses; but that is the route I took. Also, have a basic hatch lid fabricated. Now just considering locking mechanism. Asked about magcraft magnets a while back, anyone use strip flexable magnets? Did some filling and sanding with marinetex. Also, just discovered the a@# is warped a little. If it comes out on plane and rides the prop, does this really make much difference? Took measurements for the fin angle from a Gary Finlay 1/8 plan and a protractor. Tried to figure other measurements as well using mental gymnastics for 1/10th scale. Wish I had a wire foam cutter to try to fab cowling. Gotta look for one. Unless Mr. Mitch can help me here. The one I have now I do not believe a 1/10 drivers' shoulders are gonna fit.
    KIF_4549.jpgKIF_4550.jpgKIF_4551.jpg

Well , it has been almost a year since my last post regarding this build. Life just gets in the way. FINALLY put in the water today with no horizontal wing or cowling. Just got the cowling in recently from HSC and have not had a chance to look at it closely yet. Todays maiden was just a test to see if and how she ran, and all I can say is...OK. I have it powered with a Turnigy T600 red heli outrunner 1400kv with 4s going thru a turnigy 120 (new style). The flex cable is a stock motley one I had laying around with the Teflon tube, going through a speedmaster 21 strut with speedmaster 21 5" rudder. I was only using a 645 prop. Some of my concerns from just running it for two minutes: She seems to drag her butt, even though bottom of strut level with bottom of sponsons; It really seemed to drag through the turns..and..it seems that no water reached the esc or motor mount!! There is some water visible in the line prior to the esc, but absolutely none after. Routing is in the photos. I am going to get a .187 cable to replace the stock motley, because I do not trust .150. I have already set the brass stuffing tube, and I do not think 1/4 will fit. Will this combo handle 5s? Any thoughts? Also have a 648 prop to try. She just did not seem too fast.
    IMG_20160909_164124.jpgIMG_20160909_164133.jpgIMG_20160909_164151.jpgIMG_20160909_164937.jpgIMG_20160909_164952.jpg

I would think a 1400 KV motor running on 4 S is just not turning fast enough to get the boat out of the water

I am not fimiliar with the turning motor but there are plenty of 1/10th scales in my area that are easially hitting 45 to 50 mph on a similar motor and 4s. Where is your CG?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Billy Graham

Hi Jim, CG is just shy of 2.5'' behind sponson trailing edge. 17'' from boat tips on a 34.5'' boat. Thanks!!

I saw where some clubs in the northwest are running himax 1500. Is this the similar motor?

Quote Originally Posted by Coug90 View Post
    Wish I could have helped out with a Blue Blaster cowling, but it looks like you have a good start on one. I just have all of my time wrapped up in prep for moving to our new place. The shop is all packed up in boxes and we move in a couple of weeks. I should be up and running soon after that and do plan on doing a 77 Atlas cowling at some point. Right now all I have is the 83 Atlas style. Looks like you have a great start on your project. Maybe I can help on a future build. Happy building!!
    I don't know if you ever finished your build of the cowling for your Blue Blaster project, but I now have a cowling kit available for it. If you still need one, send me an email.
    Mitch Dillard

Well, here we are in March 2017 and I am still not finished. After losing a tad bit if hair, putting it away for awhile and making some unnecessary cuts and trimming, I had a tiny epiphany about the narrow atlas hatch. Turn it into a subhatch with a thin skin ply hatch over it. It is what it is. At least gives me more area to tape prior to a run. Going to be no concourse for me, thats for sure! Some trim lines painted via tape, others freehand. Good thing I dont do this for a living. Be alot of disappointed customers. Hope to finish epoxy coat soon, do some priming and light sanding, THEN figure out the side intakes and merlin stacks. Ugh....

Here are some shots.....atlas1.jpgatlas2.jpgatlas3.jpg
    Last edited by Navherc130; 03-24-2017 at 10:00 PM. Reason: photos

Quote Originally Posted by Navherc130 View Post
    Well, here we are in March 2017 and I am still not finished. After losing a tad bit if hair, putting it away for awhile and making some unnecessary cuts and trimming, I had a tiny epiphany about the narrow atlas hatch. Turn it into a subhatch with a thin skin ply hatch over it. It is what it is. At least gives me more area to tape prior to a run. Going to be no concourse for me, thats for sure! Some trim lines painted via tape, others freehand. Good thing I dont do this for a living. Be alot of disappointed customers. Hope to finish epoxy coat soon, do some priming and light sanding, THEN figure out the side intakes and merlin stacks. Ugh....
    No worries man. You got this!! Let me know if you need any tips on the cowling or Merlin stacks. Always willing to help.
    Mitch Dillard

Well, got a little more painting done on the boat. Alot of taping and masking here and there. I thought it would be a fairy easy scheme, but getting all those lines straight is nearly impossible for me. Needless to say, there will be alot of touch ups to come. Certainly not a concourse job...IMG_20170627_182136.jpg

So...she is 99% complete. Cowling finished except for side scoops. HSC sent some, ....too big. Fabricate over winter.IMG_20170811_174134.jpg So I took her to the smallish lake this evening, with my son and the vac-u-tug on alert.
    IMG_20170811_180335.jpg
    Here is the baseline. T600 out runner 1400kv, T180a ESC, x648, 4s1p. Avg speed was 39.6 on my pos timex gps watch over a 2 minute run. Not alot of straightaway, lots of casual turning. More like an egg- shaped run. But full trigger. Next, I tried 5s and went way down on prop for safety. X442. 40.2 avg speed. Out runner was 140f after those two combined runs, but ESC was like only 99 degrees and Batts (3s+2s) were about 110. Now, I have a x445 setup for next time, then a m645, then back to x648 if I can get away with it on 5s. Also have a Leopard 4074 2200kv (either 2000 or 2200, can't remember) I want to try on 4s.
    So, she lugs in the turns. Rudder too long? Too much turn fin angle? I have a Miss Vegas fin in my box.
    IMG_20170811_185329.jpg
    Any opinions or political statements out there? Thanks, Steve