Thread: Un learning to ride a bike

Default Un learning to ride a bike

This is awesome
    http://youtu.be/MFzDaBzBlL0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Thanks for posting this!

P.S.
    I had to struggle when I first started to fly RC heli head in. Everything is reversed. And that pales in comparison with unlearning to ride a bike.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

They don't know how to ride, your supposed to counter steer on a bike to begin with, thats why theres so many motorcycle accidents, new riders get a motorcycle and try steering with body weight or like they are on a atv with normal input into the handlebars.Just skip to 3:00 in this video, its Keith Kodes material and he is a editor for Motorcyclist Magazine and owner of a racing school.He can explain what's happening better then myself.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I0YC_mnh8hM

They are just on something that handles opposite of a motorcycle, they need to counter steer while going slow when the bikes not leaning, then steer it like an atv while going fast so it leans itself into turns.
    Last edited by Captain Spaulding; 04-30-2015 at 12:18 AM.

Yes, I understand the counter steering method. In fact on a RC motorbike, the servo is reversed to get the correct directional steering. ( ThunderTiger)
    But in the bike scenario the controls are cross rigged, the brain is giving all the "normal" commands where as the bike needs the exact opposite.
    May be for someone who understands the tutorial you posted would intellectualize the situation quicker, but the average person can't process the reversal of the required motor skill that is learned throughout a lifetime just cold turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    Yes, I understand the counter steering method. In fact on a RC motorbike, the servo is reversed to get the correct directional steering. ( ThunderTiger)
    But in the bike scenario the controls are cross rigged, the brain is giving all the "normal" commands where as the bike needs the exact opposite.
    May be for someone who understands the tutorial you posted would intellectualize the situation quicker, but the average person can't process the reversal of the required motor skill that is learned throughout a lifetime just cold turkey.
    Thanks for the response, I was curious if rc bikes steered properly, ive only seen toy grade that do not.I mainly just posted that for educational reasons, a lot of people do die from not understanding this.I enjoyed the video though, it would be a lot of fun trying to see how slow I had to go to keep that bike up.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding View Post
    Thanks for the response, I was curious if rc bikes steered properly, ive only seen toy grade that do not.I mainly just posted that for educational reasons, a lot of people do die from not understanding this.I enjoyed the video though, it would be a lot of fun trying to see how slow I had to go to keep that bike up.
    I would also go thru the clip you posted when i have more time, I watched it for 10 minutes. Very educational and I am not a motorcycle rider but still benefit from this knowledge. Thank you!
    As far as hobby grade motorcycles, that's the only one I owned years ago. I have no idea how the set up is on the ones now they have a gyro in one of its wheels, like the DuraTrax and the Venom bikes. may be someone can enlighten us!

Hey Luck, hope you don't mind the chit-chat!

I would also go thru the clip you posted when i have more time, I watched it for 10 minutes. Very educational and I am not a motorcycle rider but still benefit from this knowledge. Thank you!
    As far as hobby grade motorcycles, that's the only one I owned years ago. I have no idea how the set up is on the ones now they have a gyro in one of its wheels, like the DuraTrax and the Venom bikes. may be someone can enlighten us!
    No problem, I can't add very much to the boating conversations so I've gotta try when I can lol.Im sorry if I sounded rude originally or sidetracked the conversation, in all honesty that guy probably just had a mild ear infection he couldn't shake off.That's how I got into rc boating, I had to park my bike for a year because of a ruptured ear drum and I had to find something new to do.

Hey Luck, hope you don't mind the chit-chat!
    Isn't that what forums are for? Lol

There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding View Post
    No problem, I can't add very much to the boating conversations so I've gotta try when I can lol.Im sorry if I sounded rude originally or sidetracked the conversation, in all honesty that guy probably just had a mild ear infection he couldn't shake off.That's how I got into rc boating, I had to park my bike for a year because of a ruptured ear drum and I had to find something new to do.
    Dude. What?
    You keep dismissing the fact that the bike steers opposite.
    Tim, you or I, or anyone else could not ride that thing either.

Default Un learning to ride a bike

That bike should not be

Quote Originally Posted by Luck as a Constant View Post
    Dude. What?
    You keep dismissing the fact that the bike steers opposite.
    Tim, you or I, or anyone else could not ride that thing either.

A lot of people can ride that thing, some people don't even need the front wheel

https://www.google.com/search?q=ridi...+wheel&tbm=vid

Here's a video of a child riding one, he said it took him a week to learn on his own.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dgs1GSbvd9c
    Last edited by Captain Spaulding; 04-30-2015 at 12:09 PM.

They had a BMX like that at one of my middle school fetes when I was a kid, 10p a go and a £50 prize for the furthest ride of the day or £100 if you went more than 100 meters, I had about half a dozen goes myself and it was in use all day, in the end the furthest distance was about 12 feet, BMXs were pretty popular back then and some tried wheelies but just ended in a very early crash. For some reason you couldn't even stand up on it while stationary, when the steering wasnt really doing anything. It was a total headfrack, but I am heartened to see that rocket scientists can't do it either.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    They had a BMX like that at one of my middle school fetes when I was a kid, 10p a go and a £50 prize for the furthest ride of the day or £100 if you went more than 100 meters, I had about half a dozen goes myself and it was in use all day, in the end the furthest distance was about 12 feet, BMXs were pretty popular back then and some tried wheelies but just ended in a very early crash. For some reason you couldn't even stand up on it while stationary, when the steering wasnt really doing anything. It was a total headfrack, but I am heartened to see that rocket scientists can't do it either.
    Lol well at least someone who has actually rode one commented on here lol

Ok. Let's keep it civil.
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

He states his son learned much quicker. ................

Same reason why in my line of work we say that it is important to learn to play an instrument at an early age. Those that become really good usually started early.
    TVs and in recent years computers have enabled more children to see and learn , another reason why there are more child protege these days.
    I know this is unrelated but this statement by that person in the clip "struck a chord" ( pun intended) in my heart, couldn't agree more.
    I may be able to play the cello, but to play the guitar will be difficult if not impossible......

I think I got about 4 feet on by best run, I thought the key may be crossing my arms as someone did in the clip, but it wasn't. I thought it was impossible, but now I know I just needed to practice every day until I forgot how to ride a normal bike. I would be interested to know if the chap in the clip could ride both after his trip to Amsterdam, or if he had now forgotten how to ride the backwards bike and needed to spend time relearning each whenever he switched, and if so was it 8 months or 20 mins.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Well Paul, you must have had a sinus infection lmao

This is a bit off topic, but it brought to memory a race (Winter Warmup III 2007 in Phoenix) where James (Doozie 870 here on OSE) launched on the mill ; realized his steering servo was reversed, and continued to race the entire mill + 6 laps with "backwards" steering. Did OK too !! I was rather impressed. With correctly adjusted steering I still struggle to avoid those orange floaty-things cluttering up the turns out on the course
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

That's happened to me. I turned the radio upside down and drove with the whole thing above my hand instead of under and ran throttle with my thumb. If you can picture it.

I have a question about the bike. Why grab the handlebars? If you just tried peddling it with no hands nothing has changed. It's what you're used to again. We used to do this as kids. Getting started was tough but doable. Of course, we used to ride unicycles too. I used to always say balance was in your head.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    That's happened to me. I turned the radio upside down and drove with the whole thing above my hand instead of under and ran throttle with my thumb. If you can picture it.

I have a question about the bike. Why grab the handlebars? If you just tried peddling it with no hands nothing has changed. It's what you're used to again. We used to do this as kids. Getting started was tough but doable. Of course, we used to ride unicycles too. I used to always say balance was in your head.
    Probably because it's nearly impossible to start riding a bike without hands.
    I know once I'm moving, letting go is no an issue, but from a dead stop with no hands is different

Cal Rayborn's early '70s 2-wheeled LSR motorcycle :

0mph to 100mph : turn RIGHT to go RIGHT
    100mph to 200mph : turn LEFT to go RIGHT
    200mph + : back to turn RIGHT to go RIGHT

It didn't handle well at 6mph : (from "On any Sunday" - priceless)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-g5ptad8l4
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Probably because it's nearly impossible to start riding a bike without hands.
    We used to do it all the time when we were young. Been a while since I was "young" though. Today....broken spleen for sure.

I wonder if riding unicycles is like riding bicycles where you just know how to do it if you already have. Assuming you haven't unlearned it. That reverse steering thing makes my head hurt just thinking about it.
    Noisy person

"On Any Sunday"...that was a great "documentary" on motorcycles!