Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever use these connectors?

Default Anyone ever use these connectors?

I was looking online for done bigger bullets than the 6.5 castles I use. I have to have my battery and Esc wires in a plastic plug because sometimes I'll get in a hurry and likely blow my hand off or something. So in my search I found some ec8 connectors. They look a lot like ec5 but have 8mm connectors. They are not made by the company who makes the genuine ec5 connectors tho.

image.jpg
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I have used them on my 1/10th scale without issue though we are not talking about heavy amp setups in my boats
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Ose sells 8mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Quote Originally Posted by Luck as a Constant View Post
    Ose sells 8mm

They sell those red ones, right? How would they compare to the castle 6.5's that are rated at 200amps? (Which I'm pulling more than that!)
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Ose sells 8mm

They look good too. I ordered 15 pairs.... lol

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...?prod=ose-qs8p
    Why are you bothering me? I want to see your boat!
    32" CF Rivercat--- built by "kfxguy" (SOLD)

Castle 8mm bullets set up polarized? Only downside is the battery *could* be plugged into itself?

Or these are rated at 240 amps: http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/rcpropl...08asp6/p378177

You could also look into the Anderson Power Pole - they are commonly called Sermos in the RC world. The PP120 is rated at 240 amps and the PP180 is rated at 350 amps. There is also the multipole family rated at up to 350 amps also. andersonpower.com

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    They sell those red ones, right? How would they compare to the castle 6.5's that are rated at 200amps? (Which I'm pulling more than that!)
    I dunno.
    I bought them for my df35 and like them. But I don't data log so I couldn't say.

There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Quote Originally Posted by FormulaZR View Post
    Castle 8mm bullets set up polarized? Only downside is the battery *could* be plugged into itself?

Or these are rated at 240 amps: http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/rcpropl...08asp6/p378177

You could also look into the Anderson Power Pole - they are commonly called Sermos in the RC world. The PP120 is rated at 240 amps and the PP180 is rated at 350 amps. There is also the multipole family rated at up to 350 amps also. andersonpower.com
    The castles are polarized and very safe connectors. I'm just out growing them in some of my boats.

What amperage are you needing? I know Castle makes 6.5mm polarized connectors...and then plain 8mm bullets (rated at 300 amps)

What amperage are you needing? I know Castle makes 6.5mm polarized connectors...and then plain 8mm bullets (rated at 300 amps)
    He needs around 400 amps... lol

Dude, are you even reading this thread?!?!
    He's already using the Castle 6.5

I have the 6.5mm green connectors. They are rated for 200 amps. I'm pulling 240 at the least. The get fairly warm quickly. I want some connectors in housings like my green ones but 8mm. That's mainly what I'm looking for.

Default Anyone ever use these connectors?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    They look good too. I ordered 15 pairs.... lol

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...?prod=ose-qs8p
    What did you buy them all dude?
    Lol

What did you buy them all dude?
    Lol

Because I saw in stock and got order happy. It was $40 for the 15 pairs, then what ever shipping. They actually had 38 when I made the order so I let someone else have a small shot at them..... lol
    I am sending them to Travis tomorrow.

THIS IS MY 900TH POST!

I will mention, the nice part is that they come apart and go together nicely.
    Most 8mm bullets are a pita to seperate

Because I saw in stock and got order happy. They actually had 38 when I made the order so I let some.... lol
    I am sending them to Travis tomorrow.

THIS IS MY 900TH POST!
    Haha nice dude!

Let me try saying this a different way.

I realize that castle makes 6.5mm connectors (and that you have exceeded the rating of them) - but they ALSO make 8mm bullets that are rated at 300 amps. I realize they do not come in a plastic housing, though. Because the "EC8" you posted has no amperage rating that I can find (doesn't mean it isn't out there) I would be inclined to try to fit Castle 8mm Bullets in those housings "EC8" housings. Great bullet, and a housing that keeps you safe.

In addition to what Castle makes. Anderson Power Products makes some very nice connectors (though only the 35-75 amp "Sermos" are marketed to the RC crowd) that are rated at up to 350 amps. I don't know if they would be physically too large for you.

The reason of asking how many amps you need is because in the Anderson family, there is a large jump in physical dimension between a connector rated at 240 amps, one rated at 300 amps, one rated at 350 amps, and one rated at 450 amps.
    Last edited by FormulaZR; 04-22-2015 at 09:36 PM.

THIS IS MY 900TH POST!
    For me the first 100 was a mile stone, then 500, 1000, etc., etc....
    Now I just keep BS'ing, I have lost count.....
    Too many boats, not enough time...

The ose ones appear to be the same ones as Progressive RC;

http://www.progressiverc.com/prc8-connectors.html

They are rated at 300 amps;

"Our connectors are constructed from the highest quality materials to ensure you get the best connection every time, whatever your application.

Ideal for heavy-duty applications requiring up to 300 amps of current, and able to easily handle 6 AWG wire, these are the largest shrouded connectors available, combining safety and high performance."

"If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective"
    45"Speedfreek
    , Fightercat #068 ​, MyYoutube Vids

Quote Originally Posted by jj2003 View Post
    The ose ones appear to be the same ones as Progressive RC;

http://www.progressiverc.com/prc8-connectors.html

They are rated at 300 amps;

"Our connectors are constructed from the highest quality materials to ensure you get the best connection every time, whatever your application.

Ideal for heavy-duty applications requiring up to 300 amps of current, and able to easily handle 6 AWG wire, these are the largest shrouded connectors available, combining safety and high performance."

Good find. They do look alike.

Look at the customer pic on that page. Lol

What the heck is going on there?!? Lol
    That's hours of someone's life ....

Look at the customer pic on that page. Lol

What the heck is going on there?!? Lol
    That's hours of someone's life ....
    Customer pic is these guys: http://www.ampahaulic.com/

Travis....are you sure that you need to go to an 8mm connector? Are you going to re-lead all your Revo's with 8 or 6 ga wire to the cell tabs? At this point 8mm are not really necessary. You may want to call Castle or progressive rc and find out what the corresponding voltage is for there max amp ratings on the connectors?? If it is 12S, then you would be ok to 320amp or so on your 6.5mm an 8mm would be good to 450 if you are running 8S, it is all relative to the voltage, and i can assure you that the rating that are provided are not well backed by science, and it is more marketing than anything. They should technically be rating with continuous wattage or power as opposed to current.

The APP connectors have way less meat to them and are rated at higher voltage and current, because those connectors are typically used in industrial applications and have to follow strict testing and codes.

Better to have too much than not enough.

Better to actually know the facts, then to build off of assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by complacent_one View Post
    Yeah ok.
    Anyways......

Here's what I do know....

1) my connectors get warm in the mono after a short run. (Red light right there if you ask me)
    2) I'm pushing this setup pretty hard, so it can't hurt (unless these aren't as good as what I have)
    3) the rating on what I have is 200 amps. What cells, I dunno. I am pulling more amps than that no doubt.
    4) I already have some on the way

As I always do, there will be a back to back test.

Here's some wire gauge info. http://www.zrd.com/faq/esdfaqwiresize.html
    Looks like at the length we have in out boats, 10ga is sufficient at short lengths. I can resolder 8ga wire on my batteries if it was needed. I'm going to contact john a revo and ask him if he'd do it on the next set of batts I order. I'm pretty sure he will if the carry that size wire in stock. He's done it for me before.

I can say this, check out some really fast builds....I can assure you not many are using 6.5 bullets. If any at all are using them. Just sayin...

At this level I'm at now, I'll agree that it's better to have too much than not enough. Same rule I go by with almost everything I do. You can tell this by most of my builds. Pretty much every one has more motor and Esc than it needs. Better to over do it than under do it. You know this too.....

Travis....are you sure that you need to go to an 8mm connector? Are you going to re-lead all your Revo's with 8 or 6 ga wire to the cell tabs? At this point 8mm are not really necessary. You may want to call Castle or progressive rc and find out what the corresponding voltage is for there max amp ratings on the connectors?? If it is 12S, then you would be ok to 320amp or so on your 6.5mm an 8mm would be good to 450 if you are running 8S, it is all relative to the voltage, and i can assure you that the rating that are provided are not well backed by science, and it is more marketing than anything. They should technically be rating with continuous wattage or power as opposed to current.

The APP connectors have way less meat to them and are rated at higher voltage and current, because those connectors are typically used in industrial applications and have to follow strict testing and codes.
    This is not true at all. Amps are amps, and 100 amps through a conductor creates the same amount of heat at 7.4v as it does at 44.4v, that is why there are no wattage ratings. An 8mm that is good for 300 amps at 12s is still only good for 300 amps at 2s.
    Though it is questionable about how they are rated, because it also depends heavily on the type of solder that you use(and how well you solder), as that will be the point of failure, and also the duration of that current bursts and the length of the run.
    Last edited by kevinpratt823; 04-23-2015 at 12:45 PM.

Lets consider the connector/solder a fuse for a moment. Fuses are rated at a maximum voltage, primarily for it's insulation. A 300VDC/100 amp fuse still blows at 100 amps @100VDC.

FYI, the chart you posted is primarily concerned with voltage drop Travis, not how much current the wires can handle. The higher the load and the longer the distance the less voltage you end up with at the load. What it is telling you for example, is that with #10 @24v, you can have 696 Foot-amps and still maintain only a 3% drop in voltage at the load. So at 200 amps you can go 3.48' round trip and only lose 3%(.72v) volts at the load, but the chart also clearly states that the rated ampacity of that wire is only 60 amps(regardless of voltage) for 105 deg C rated wire.
    Last edited by kevinpratt823; 04-23-2015 at 02:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast