Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone knows anything about Traxxas Alias Quad Copters?

Unhappy Anyone knows anything about Traxxas Alias Quad Copters?

Bought one because I had a huge coupon, DOA. I charged up the battery, turned on the tx first, then battery is connected to the ESC, pushed the throttle toggle down with throttle position in "0" to arm, No signs of life...
    I think I would not want to deal with another one, too bad, I don't want anything more advanced than that, was just going to fly on my drive way and the cul-de-sac.
    Any other in this similar prize range and capability range. Don't want BL, I can not fly , period, that's why I AM IN BOATS, LOL.... I have been flying Heli-Max's 1-SQ so far.....
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Thank you very much!
    I followed the video instruction, but still can't arm, then I was pushing the throttle randomly and the tx armed. Something is up. problem is the Traxxas goes into STANDBY mode after just 5 seconds when there is no throttle input if you are not flying, so you need to re-arm, and I have to do the random thing again... lol....
    But the thing flies so well, wow, so stable. Guess I need to call Traxxas....

I'm glad you got it flying.
    sounds like the switch in the throttle
    may be faulty.

Quote Originally Posted by revoltrunner View Post
    I'm glad you got it flying.
    sounds like the switch in the throttle
    may be faulty.
    You are right, that is what I think, it is unable to register as "0" throttle position and I have to roll the toggle all over the place to get it registered. lol......
    Thanks again though, it would have never occured to me to watch a video, I didn't know how to reset, so I learned something!

Did you get the LaTrax Alias or the little QR-1? I have not had either but have taken a few looks at them.... I tend to stay away from the air since it is always windy here. If it is the Alias the motors might not live as long as you would expect, even for brushed motors....

Did you get to call Traxxas? A lot say the support folks are the greatest but I experienced otherwise and I live in the same state as their HQ...
    Why are you bothering me? I want to see your boat!
    32" CF Rivercat--- built by "kfxguy" (SOLD)

YES, I got the Alias. The bigger one, since I have had the Heli-Max which is smaller and direct drive. I like these gear-driven props, they don't spin so fast and I compared the Traxxas one to the cheaper Dromida Ominus, though they look similar, Traxxas WINS HANDS DOWN in terms of build quality. The prop bearings and gear is on a different level.
    Well, I was working for a pilot TV series " Super Girl", no chance to talk to Traxxas, but on the way back I grabbed another one from our "supermarket hobby chain" Hobby People here in Cal.. lol...
    This one also had the same problem, then I realized it takes only a fraction of a second for it to arm, literally!!! If you press the toggle more than HALF second, it won't arm. I mean it takes like 1/10 of a second.
    So I tried my first one, it def. has an issue, may be the contact is not good, but if I wiggle it then it will arm. It has been arming with my "new technique" So I am going to return the new one and just learn to live with the one I ordered from TowerHobbies.
    On the one occasion when I called Traxxas for some discontinued parts, their customer support people were very nice, but I wasn't telling them that their Lipo sucked, lol......

Glad it sort of worked out.
    I've only told them that their lipos suck in the Spartan, which comes with the boat in some cases.... Their lipos in the smaller 1/10 land categories (except E-Revo/E-Maxx) aren't bad. In the Spartan, not so good....

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    Glad it sort of worked out.
    I've only told them that their lipos suck in the Spartan, which comes with the boat in some cases.... Their lipos in the smaller 1/10 land categories (except E-Revo/E-Maxx) aren't bad. In the Spartan, not so good....
    Tyler, I was just kidding.....
    Further investigation reveals that there are actually "two levels" with which one can push down the throttle toggle, and if anyone is doing what I was doing, then they are out of luck. Traxxas does not say that.... but if one gives a good push all the way down according to common mechanical senses , it has already passed the threshold. There is a faint "click" before the toggle reaches bottom, and you must release IMMEDIATELY upon feeling this stage.
    May be I am too heavy handed.....

You hurt my feelings Tim... Lol
    I kid.
    I don't read manuals most of the time but did you read it? I'll read it later after I get back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    You hurt my feelings Tim... Lol
    I kid.
    I don't read manuals most of the time but did you read it? I'll read it later after I get back home.

I read the manual as well as the QUICK STARTING GUIDE, they just say to push in. I have had the Heli-Max and some of the Horizon Hobby fly txs that require a push to perform certain functions and never had any issues, you just push until you hear confirmation.
    On the Traxxas, if you go beyond the "first level", the screen shows it enters a different programing loop, I don't even know what it is, and the tone goes DOWN instead of UP as in arming the Alias. It's all good now, but I just wonder how many people have had to go thru what I had gone thru......

Exclamation Dromida Ominus Quadcopter vs. Traxxas Alias Quadcopter

As the title implies, my curiosity was getting the better of me and I bought the Dromida one. it is the cheaper version w/o the camera.
    I am here to tell you that the Traxxas wins hands down in terms of build quality and flying capabilities.
    The Alias can be controlled smoothly and you can do beautiful "scale speed" fly by with nicely banked turns. the Dromida is not as smooth and it needs time to build up any input momentum, but here is the catch, once the momentum is achieved, you will be forced to do corrections a bit. It has some strange traits and since I am no expert, I attribute this to how the front rotor shafts are placed in relation to the level ground.
    If you view then from straight head on, you will see that they are at a "negative" like angle----think of it as an automobiles front tires when looking head on. May be the "dihedral" is for hovering stability, but it makes any gradual change more of a challenge than the Alias where all four rotor shafts are perpendicular to the ground.
    Any input or ideas you guys can share and enlighten me?

Cool little quad Tim,you may be interested in this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILqvSdlqai0
    Brisbane,QLD, Aussie

Quote Originally Posted by Heath M View Post
    Cool little quad Tim,you may be interested in this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILqvSdlqai0
    Thanks, Heath

My Dromida is now part of a tree serving as a Quad Windmill. ( hey, at least this is consistent with my penchant for beaching my boats ) It was a blast to fly and the abuse it took allowed me to really get some stick time.
    Saw a 10% discount from Horizon Hobby, bought a Blade200QX and a DX6 air tx. It is interesting to learn to program the tx to say the least. Finally I was sent a file from someone and also down loaded the .SPM set up file from HH's website, no need to program step by step.
    Maiden flight today and I enjoyed the little quad. I am taking it easy and the direct drive with smaller props mean more head speed and resists the wind much better.
    I didn't think it was possible for me to drift away from boats...
    Looking for more storage spaces.
    DSCN7780.jpg DSCN7782.jpg

Oh goodness me! you have dipped your feet into quads. There's no turning back now, trust me, I know. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have. I do know this, you will NOT be satisfied with what you have now.

Quote Originally Posted by runzwithsizorz View Post
    Oh goodness me! you have dipped your feet into quads. There's no turning back now, trust me, I know. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have. I do know this, you will NOT be satisfied with what you have now.
    Thank you sir! I will ask you many questions when I can articulate what I really want out of it.

Yes, all I can think of is to fly, but for now I just want something nice and easy to fly, of course sooner or later I want some aerial photo//video activity.
    Come to think of it, when I began my RC hobby, I wanted to fly first, but my poor vision and slow brain plus the lack of time quickly made me realize I can't do that. So land vehicle it was but then I discovered FE boats.
    Tried to fly collective heli but didn't make any progress really.
    Now the quad is different, with its electronic stabilization I was at ease and finally can pilot the craft heading towards me ( I know some people are dumb, but some are dumberer and I am in the second group), I figured it's got to be second nature and I am almost there. I don't want to rely on the "ACTUAL DIRECTION CONTROL" feature. I want sport flying, no 3D, ( not yet anyway) but the overly assisted and stabilised flying is not for me either. I haven't entertained the idea of FPV flying a drone. Don't know if it will work with my vision condition. ( extreme near sighted in one eye, the other is not much better).

As you have said: "Too Many Questions, Not Enough Time ..." lol....

I think this is more what I want to do, may be alot slower, lol....

Tim
    Be very careful around the quad. your hands are important to you.
    I thought I was being careful. I had just landed mine and walked over
    to pick it up. the tx was in my right hand. as I bent down to pick it up
    it came alive and my left hand was in a blender. I later realized that
    as I bent over I hit the throttle stick on my leg to about have throttle.
    I said a whole mouth full of bad words.....LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Daayum, was that a CF blade?

Tim
    Be very careful around the quad. your hands are important to you.
    I thought I was being careful. I had just landed mine and walked over
    to pick it up. the tx was in my right hand. as I bent down to pick it up
    it came alive and my left hand was in a blender. I later realized that
    as I bent over I hit the throttle stick on my leg to about have throttle.
    I said a whole mouth full of bad words.....LOL

Jeff, as always, I appreciate tremendously your kindness. Thank you for the warning, I will be very careful. Up to now both the Alias and the Dromida are very low-powered quads and I did the same but luckily I wasn't injured. I must admit it didn't occur to me that this could happen with a more powerful setup.
    I will now program my brain to always "throttle -cut" before picking up .
    Thanks and take care.

Looks like the stock plastic ones from the color. This is very fast for me and my eyes won't be able to track it.....

yes they were cf blades. very sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    Jeff, as always, I appreciate tremendously your kindness. Thank you for the warning, I will be very careful. Up to now both the Alias and the Dromida are very low-powered quads and I did the same but luckily I wasn't injured. I must admit it didn't occur to me that this could happen with a more powerful setup.
    I will now program my brain to always "throttle -cut" before picking up .
    Thanks and take care.
    Your welcome Tim. I did it almost 2 months ago and still cant bend
    2 of the fingers fully. the doc said I missed the tendons by 1mm
    If I had to play a string instrument I would still be on vacation....lol

It is a iflight red dragonfly with a sky hero spy canopy.
    http://www.gothelirc.com/shopexd.asp?id=2386
    Last edited by revoltrunner; 06-23-2015 at 08:15 AM.

yes they were cf blades. very sharp.

Your welcome Tim. I did it almost 2 months ago and still cant bend
    2 of the fingers fully. the doc said I missed the tendons by 1mm
    If I had to play a string instrument I would still be on vacation....lol
    Apologies to both of you, I misunderstood and thought the question was in regards to the video.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

I see the quad, vary impressive. My phone isn't very good, I only see part of the post, TTYL as I am recording and they are asking us to turn off the phone, lol.....

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Here's the quad I just finished last week.
    I liked the look of the Yuneec Q500 but I don't need
    the camera and the other features it has. instead of
    spending $1200 on a bunch of extras I bought a
    complete airframe and did a custom build.
    It really flies great.

This is what I have been drooling but I too didn't want the package, just want to fly, I can't look at a screen and fly, I want to look at the MACHINE FLIES IN THE AIR! lol...
    plus, I will get dizzy looking at a FPV screen due to my vision condition.
    I wasn't aware of the possiblity of building one from a frame only let alone you can buy the frame........
    Very Very nice, Jeff! Congrats!!

Thanks Tim
    most quads have replacement airframes available.
    this one wasn't real hard to do. it has pretty decent
    room inside for everything. it has 60 screws though....LOL

I lost my Blade 200QX on its second flight!!
    I flew too close to a pole that had a transformer on it, the EMF interfered with my radio and it crashed into someone else's property, it is a strange sensation as I could not command the drone to fly out of the "transformer's grip."
    The funny thing is that it kept beeping but the property owner is on vacation, the neighbor told me. Well, the entire cul-de-sac can hear it and I left the place before someone would have called the bomb squad.

Hope you left a note in their post box for when they come home.
    Brisbane,QLD, Aussie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast