Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For the non believers.......

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Ooh,, Ouch

I have had a few myself Travis, a couple of them just completely 'what was I thinking'
    I'm just not used to it. I don't burn stuff very often. I guess what I did was rely on the built in current limiting as a crutch for me. My fault. That was an x2 lite. The spare I have is not a lite so I can set current limiting on it myself. It will be set lower. Hopefully this won't happens again.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I honestly don't think the 648 prop caused it. You can send it to MGM and they'll fix it and maybe tell you what failed. I'm running 52 and 54mm props on a very simular setup in that GP400 Hydro with no problems at all. And I would bet it's heavier that the KBB34.

So what kind of amps are you figuring?

Quote Originally Posted by flraptor07 View Post
    I honestly don't think the 648 prop caused it. You can send it to MGM and they'll fix it and maybe tell you what failed. I'm running 52 and 54mm props on a very simular setup in that GP400 Hydro with no problems at all. And I would bet it's heavier that the KBB34.
    I'm pretty sure by the looks of it, there's no fixing this one. Lol
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I'm just not used to it. I don't burn stuff very often. I guess what I did was rely on the built in current limiting as a crutch for me. My fault. That was an x2 lite. The spare I have is not a lite so I can set current limiting on it myself. It will be set lower. Hopefully this won't happens again.
    You can set the current limiting lower, but use it as a safeguard and not as a governor. If you look at the "peak current" on your logs, this will be much high current that can be measured between the poles. Even when the controller is limiting it's current output, it won't remove the huge current spikes between the poles that you will see with larger props and/or high kv/voltage. So, if it looks like current limiting is having an effect when viewing your logs (there's really two levels of current limiting with these ESCs.), it's time to back the setup down.

I assume that's what you're planning on, but wanted to make it clear to anyone else reading this thread that you can't just put any prop and RPM combo together and count on these ESCs to keep things correct. That would be somewhat comparable to over-propping a boat and then only using half throttle. It does limit current, but heat build-up is still an issue.

I'm just gonna put a x455 on it and let it eat

I mulled over this for a bit. Almost threw the towel in. I don't give up too easily though. I ordered a swordfish 300 last night. It will offer me a little more power to the motor safely. Might pick up a mph or so. Hopefully have it going again Sunday.

Travis, so what were the last logged amps on that sucka? And do you venture any guesses as to how many it took to take out the ESC?

Travis, so what were the last logged amps on that sucka? And do you venture any guesses as to how many it took to take out the ESC?
    I didn't data log this prop. My fault. Other prop was pulling 220-240 amps.

Travis, do you actually have a heat gun you check with or just go by feel? Cause the feel method ain't always good, I have a heat gun with a laser pointer on it and I check motor windings and all. I've also checked a ESC and the main body of would be @ 110-120 and the caps @ 160+ it's not rare to have that much variance.

I have a temp gun but haven't been using it. The Esc usually ran under 122 degrees according to the logs. Something just let go on my 91.2mph run. Go watch the video again and you'll notice the boat stopped for a bit on the way back to me. I didn't do that. I just never mentioned it. I thought it had glitches or had bad reception for a second....obviously that wasn't the case. I'll just pay more attention this time. The mgm I have left won't be saw runs or hot setups, it'll be for tamer stuff that I need good drive ability. I'll be using the 300 for saw runs and if I like it, I'll be getting another one.

You really have that mono rocking! Sorry about the controller. Glad to hear your not throwing in the towel, that would have been a bad end for something that's been so successful from the start. I could see doing that if you've burnt up a dozen controllers and not hit 60mph yet but your right at the fine edge with everything in the boat pushing 90 plus mph. The new 300 and some fine tuning you may see 100mph yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Fella1340 View Post
    You really have that mono rocking! Sorry about the controller. Glad to hear your not throwing in the towel, that would have been a bad end for something that's been so successful from the start. I could see doing that if you've burnt up a dozen controllers and not hit 60mph yet but your right at the fine edge with everything in the boat pushing 90 plus mph. The new 300 and some fine tuning you may see 100mph yet.
    ^this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

You guys have a point. I just had to think on it a few days. The sf300 isn't what I really wanted for this thing and didn't build it to fit, but measured last night and it will fit so screw it. I might as well carry on with it. I've gotten this far so quick and I've got a few more ideas to throw into it. I'm pretty sure this prop isn't the absolute best it can get (nothing against my favorite prop guy, I'm just saying the m447 in general) so I'll be playing with props and some other stuff. This one just happens to work well.

I noticed a good pickup in speed going to PropShop 4714/3's from Octura 2 blades.

I noticed a good pickup in speed going to PropShop 4714/3's from Octura 2 blades.
    That's probably a little more prop than I can turn.

That's probably a little more prop than I can turn.

Non believers are everywhere.....congrats with your mark! Gill
    GO FAST AND TURN RIGHT !
    www.grsboats.com.br

Looks good! Sure a lil chop will help. You will never get rid of the non believers. We run top end with our outboard race boats sometimes and we have them non believers to.

Will MGM warranty that?
    Nortavlag Bulc

I got something in yesterday to help me on my quest....

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Will MGM warranty that?

I've emailed them three times. No reply yet. If this is the kind of customer service I'll be getting from them, I may have to reconsider my Esc choices.

I've emailed them three times. No reply yet. If this is the kind of customer service I'll be getting from them, I may have to reconsider my Esc choices.
    Did you get it direct from MGM or through Rocket City? If you got it through Rocket City, your best bet would be contact Brian (I think) @ Rocket City and see how he wants to handle it.

Trav, MGM have been extremely busy the past few weeks and just got back from an expo in Germany and they all came back with a cold/flu! LOL, I was super lucky that I got a hold of them yesterday. They are fantastic in their customer service, and I'm sure they will get onto it for you. But keep in mind what you are dealing with/asking for. (my mono went 91mph with a 250A unit and went poof) LOL. They gonna tell you, you should have been happy with 89mph...
    Visit www.customcfparts.com | Custom Boat Building | Custom Carbon Fiber Parts | Custom Graphics | LMT Premium Dealer | MGM Premium Dealer | YouTube | Facebook
    "Follow someone's footsteps and you will always be a step behind"

Quote Originally Posted by nata2run View Post
    Trav, MGM have been extremely busy the past few weeks and just got back from an expo in Germany and they all came back with a cold/flu! LOL, I was super lucky that I got a hold of them yesterday. They are fantastic in their customer service, and I'm sure they will get onto it for you. But keep in mind what you are dealing with/asking for. (my mono went 91mph with a 250A unit and went poof) LOL. They gonna tell you, you should have been happy with 89mph...
    Lol! I'll just have to be patient. They should be proud I went that fast with it tho! :)

Quote Originally Posted by nata2run View Post

He emailed me back this morning. I think someone with some "pull" with him must have emailed him for me. If that's the case, you know who you are and I appreciate it. He isn't going to warranty it (don't think I can blame him) but he is going to give me a nice discount on the next one I buy. So all in all, I'm not disappointed and I'll buy another one. Martin seems like a great guy, we've gone back and forth a few times via email this morning.

MGM does make a very very nice esc but, some things I've seen on dead ones given to me make me scratch my head thinking, why would they do this after taking so much time to do so well in many areas. What I found was not so great on them was the cable going to the rx. it had no strain relief on it and over time, the wires got pulled and then they frayed at the solder joint causing failure. I hope they have changed this in the newer ones.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12