Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winston eagle Lobster-ML Boatworks Extreme 1/8 scale frame kit-my build

Quote Originally Posted by Agitator View Post
    There was a discussion on this in another thread here, IMPBA rules state that NO part of the drive dog may extend past the transom, NAMBA rules state it can extend no more than 1 drive dog length beyond the transom. You still have to have about 1/4" gap between the dog and the strut so the cable has room to shrink under load. That said, this is the only pic I have of the business end, choice is up to you.

Attachment 132023
    That is not entirely correct, IMPBA rule states as follows-
    g. The drive dog must not extend beyond the transom unless the prototype boat did so.
    As a general rule if it was piston powered the drive dog was behind the transom. Typical modern day turbine powered boats ran with some kind of slightly extended strut.
    Futaba Team Driver
    - IMPBA Hydro Technical Director -

Are there any updates? I want to build one of these and would love to see more.

hes made some more progress, but waiting on a few specific decals to arrive for the cockpit area before he can proceed building :)

I would say at this point, it will never be finished, probably will trash it and go back to paper airplanes. Mike makes a great kit, but once the cowl is fit, you will find out the radio box lid comes no where close to clearing the cowl. I've built 4 different tops at this point, and besides there being no way to tape them down as there is not enough material in the hull to tape too, the cowl no longer fits. Tired of fighting with it...

Hey Mike, its obvious given your previous build resume that ive had the pleasure of viewing, that you could finish the hull to what all of us would label as gorgeous, but if thats indeed the case that you just dont feel like tinkering with it anymore, let me know if you are interested in selling it.

I was looking back through the emails and I remember specifically coming across the one in which you mentioned your method for attaching the air scoop extension and how you would perhaps recieve a little flak for it from the community. I didnt fully comprehend it at the time as I was clearly more interested in my own selfish exploits, but this 2nd time around, I soaked it in much more.....

Very clever! and I see what you mean when you say fairing it in after epoxying it would be a nightmare.... far too many indentations and curved surfaces in a generally cramped working area!

EDIT: it all makes alot more sense now.... Ive viewed Mikes 2010 thread for the first lobster build he did numerous times, I absolutely love it. It made me wonder why the extreme kit which apparently was much easier to build and more thoroughly designed, had suddenly halted progress in both threads.... I remember him telling me recently that his "heart just isnt in it anymore" when it comes to designing/building scale boats and after reading your post ^^^ , sure is a bummer for me to hear :-/ hope you guys stick around.....

Mike has been extremely busy, and had to delay the build for a little while. I do know that he will be back at it very soon.

I am confused to why the hatch will not fit under the cowling? The standard version of the Lobster kit had far less room, and I made it work fine with 10s and a 1527...What is the issue with this one? Any pics? I will buy the kit and cowling back from you Mike if you want. It would speed up my process for Todds build tremendously. Thanks, Mike
    Laser cut, birch plywood rc race boat kits- WWW.MLBOATWORKSRC.COM WWW.DINOGYLIPOS.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Agitator View Post
    I would say at this point, it will never be finished, probably will trash it and go back to paper airplanes. Mike makes a great kit, but once the cowl is fit, you will find out the radio box lid comes no where close to clearing the cowl. I've built 4 different tops at this point, and besides there being no way to tape them down as there is not enough material in the hull to tape too, the cowl no longer fits. Tired of fighting with it...
    don't give up you can do it ,I1443564628595308995703.jpg20150928_124935.jpg did

Well, after a few months working on other projects, it was time to revisit this beast and see what my problem was. Literally took 5 minutes to figure out the cowl/lid fit issue, so we are off to the races again, so to speak. The boat is almost ready for final assembly prior to priming and paint. The canard flaps will be adjustable and most of the bits and pieces are complete. I won't deck the sponsons until after full assembly, but it will be finished soon and running.

004.jpg009.jpg006.jpg
    We are surrounded-that means we can attack in any direction

OMG Mike that looks so friggin awesome!! You really deserve some exposure in regards to your work and experience, because with this, and then your T4, most people would be in absolute awe at a pair of boats such as those 2 in aesthetical quality to that of your own! I know I am!

Cant wait to see it finished
    BIG BOY HYDROPLANES----My first RC boat and build project to boot: (and more content in my profile gallery!) ---- https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...proposed-setup

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12