Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Brush Repair Experiment / KlassKote

Default Air Brush Repair Experiment / KlassKote

Not sure if you guys remember, but my LSH boat had a 2" x 1/2"gash in her side the end of last year (all the way thru). As an experiment, I bought a $20 airbrush from harbor freight and tried to shoot klasskote on a small area. Turns out, it works great! Definitely worth the investment, especially if you plan to race with the Wednesday night grind line. I sprayed a section, sanded with 1500, 2000, and polished.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ya but u know how to paint...what about us who have trouble spraying out of a can? btw great looking paint job u ought to hire out your skills...
    MY RETIREMENT PLAN?????.....POWERBALL
    74 vintage kirby clasic hydro, pursuit mono, mg, 47'' mono, popeye hydro...

I love the stuff also.

Ron, It's much more work than a rattle can but I think it's easier to shoot and get good results. It flows nice and sticks to sealed wood and fiberglass without primer. Also, Klass Kote is rock hard after a few days. Even if you shoot it heavy. My brother in law usually shoot for me and he can get a glass finish. I'm still working on my gun set up and determining how much reducer to use but I am pretty happy with the results of my first time shooting.

What about taping off for second colors how quick can you tape? Also what primer works well with it?
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Guys, what is the minimum I can use for a compressor? I have one, it's built very well. It is a flapper type and still needs a moisture filter. I have approx. the same gun as you bought and I'm looking for a coiled hose a friend gave me. I'll try to get a pic but, it has no tank either. I'm using Same paint as you Pete.
    Nortavlag Bulc

BTW, nice repair job bud!
    Nortavlag Bulc

Mike - That boat looks great! Looks like the finish is decent AS-IS (no wet sanding).

Ray - I think any old compressor will work as long as you are getting the recommended pressure while spraying! An airbrush doesn't require much volume at all (pancake compressor will work), where as a large gun will require a larger tank.

This whole thing was really just an experiment to see if KlassKote would spray thru a small diameter airbrush. I was surprised. Ratio was 1:1:1 (Part A:Part B:Reducer). Worked fine.

I'm not much of a painter to be honest. The finish I get is from hours of wet sanding and polishing. If you don't mind a little bit of orange peel, the stuff is great AS-IS. Incredibly durable.

Thanks Pete. This is the gun I got at the hobby shop in MI. Is it close to what you bought and is it suitable for my uses ??
    Nortavlag Bulc

Ray, that is the EXACT gun that I used to paint the last two white boats. The orifice is somewhat small (0.6mm I think), so the paint flowrate is considerably less than the large gun. This is an advantage IMO (less overspray), but you have to hold the gun a little closer to the work to get a nice 'wet' coat. You will still need a full size compressor for that gun.

Uugh! thank you...
    Nortavlag Bulc

I have the larger 20 ounce version with either 1.4 or 1.8 needle. The first few times I used it with my bro in law a few years back, we did 1:1:1 and the results were very good. When I tried it by myself last month, I reread the directions and it said "for large scale paint equipment use 6:1 paint/reducer". I have no idea what "Large Scale" is but when I tried it the paint came out like I was using a splatter gun. Also some lacquer thinners don't clean the gun well at all when using this paint. Purchase some extra reducer. It does the best job.

Would appreciate any other tips or experiences from other users.

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Thanks Pete. This is the gun I got at the hobby shop in MI. Is it close to what you bought and is it suitable for my uses ??
    Whoa! 50 psi will require a large tank if you plan to spray for more than a couple of seconds at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli View Post
    I have the larger 20 ounce version with either 1.4 or 1.8 needle. The first few times I used it with my bro in law a few years back, we did 1:1:1 and the results were very good. When I tried it by myself last month, I reread the directions and it said "for large scale paint equipment use 6:1 paint/reducer". I have no idea what "Large Scale" is but when I tried it the paint came out like I was using a splatter gun. Also some lacquer thinners don't clean the gun well at all when using this paint. Purchase some extra reducer. It does the best job.

Would appreciate any other tips or experiences from other users.
    Here you go Mike. I copied this from another thread I posted in.

Yes, Rather than using the Klass Kote thinner I am using a product from Pittsburgh Paints (epoxy thinner/reducer). I can get you the number if you want. It's not cheap 40-50 a gallon, but I use it to wipe down parts and for cleaning my gun. However, it works and its not something I want to mess with trying to save a buck or two.

I really can't say enough about Klass Kote. I am the furthest thing from a painter and my stuff looks pretty good. AND it's very strong!

Later,
    Ball

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/smm-...FaVj7AodPQ0AYQ
    You're welcome

Xxx does the job great.
    A can of that and some thinner is all you need.

Last edited by Luck as a Constant; 04-12-2015 at 08:06 AM.
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Quote Originally Posted by Luck as a Constant View Post
    Whoa! 50 psi will require a large tank if you plan to spray for more than a couple of seconds at a time.
    50psi with the small 0.6mm orifice isn't that much flow actually. If you are thinking of 50psi with a full size gun (1.8mm or so...), then that would be a lot!!!

That klasscote reducer is some strong, nasty stuff. It actually ate the coating off one of my guns!

The fluid tip of 0.6 only designates how much product flows thru the gun.
    The gun itself is still using 50 psi no?

Thanks Luck... I have a buddy with a large compressor, maybe he will let me paint there since it's pretty permanent in his garage like his 1970 Boss 302 factory mint Mustang.

Quote Originally Posted by Luck as a Constant View Post

Nortavlag Bulc

Ray, I don't know the gun, and shooter could be rite, but the more volume of air you have the better from my experience.
    You're gun says 20-50, I generally try to use the higher end of a guns recommended air pressure.
    Atomization is better that way

All this information is good. Thanks!
    Nortavlag Bulc

What I don't really understand is the anatomy of a paint gun. Anyone understand this? When they call out 0.6 as the orifice, I assume that is the hole in front that the needle seals on? Is there a separate hole for the air to come out as it atomizes the paint? If so, that's the orifice size we need to determine if the compressor can keep up.

Yes shooter, 0.6 is the fluid tip size or "oriface".

Basically, the air is pushed around the fluid tip and pushed out the air cap holes. If you look at the fluid tip, there's a hole in the center, and usually holes around the outside of the fluid tip. The outside holes are where the air goes thru, the center hole is where the fluid comes out
    Gravity pulls the paint down into the fluid tip, then when it exits, the air pushes it into a fan and forward.
    That's how atomization works on a gravity feed.

Thanks for this! I inspected the gun last night and I saw the holes you are talking about around the center nozzle. So, what we need then is the effective orifice size of these air holes to determine the flow rate at a given pressure. Or....... LOL, we can just look at Ray's box!!!!! It clearly states "3 CFM @ 50psi".

Bottom line is that the 0.6 orifice in the center is for paint and has nothing to do with airflow as far as I can tell.

You got it shooter.
    That's gravity feed anyways.
    Siphon feed work a bit different

I shot my guitar today.

And clear

Wow. That looks great, Luck! I like the fade. I've tried that a few times, with somewhat limited success. Yours looks great. Is that neck pocket HUGE? Or is that just an illusion? Or is that a bass?

It's not an illusion sir.
    That is an 8 string guitar.
    Thanks bro

I sanded flat with 2000 last night
    Then buffed out today

Schweet!!

That looks beautiful!!!!! Nice work!!! I take it you have clearcoat over the paint?? What did you buff it with??

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    That looks beautiful!!!!! Nice work!!! I take it you have clearcoat over the paint?? What did you buff it with??
    Yesway bro.
    Waterbourne basecoat with urethane clear on top.
    Then sand and buff with a foam pad and some buffing compound

Sorry to throw this thread so far off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast