Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New TP motor only a few runs shaft spun out?

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    This would surprise me. Especially with the commitment that some have made to their products of late. I know we're just a spec of the market but still.

Plus, I'm pretty sure the guy that runs TP is a boat racer himself. He's going to produce products he can't endorse? Not likely. I'm inclined to not believe this "not for boats" claim until I hear it from them directly.
    This is why I emailed him. I hate to think that this would not be a budget option for me as far as motors go. I was going to buy a 4060 soon.
    Last edited by kfxguy; 04-07-2015 at 05:10 PM.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    Sooo... this is not good! If TP are saying (and it would be great if someone from TP can confirm) that their motors are no longer suitable for boats then I guess it's back to Leopards. From an engineering standpoint, an electric motor should be able to be stalled without the rotor spinning on the shaft. If TP have been manufacturing a product that would mechanically fail a simple stall test then they need to rethink what they are doing!

Shame, shame, shame on them!

Most companies that have good products work on improving the product, even if it costs a little more, consumers will pay for good products. Sack the idiot that came up with that plan, get it right and care for your customers, or refund them their money in full!!
    I cant confirm what he posted is true. i was just showing what was mentioned on another thread. i wouldn't jump to any conclusions yet, my guess is i just got a bad apple out of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I just emailed to power usa with a link to this thread. Hopefully they will clear some of this up and take care of the op. I don't see why they wouldn't.
    Thanks Travis, i'm sure they will i'm going to give the new one another shot because it did run very well.

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    No mention if thrust bearing is used or not, my guess is that it wasn't used. That should have no bearing ( no pun intended) on this issue.
    correct no thrust bearing used.

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    This would surprise me. Especially with the commitment that some have made to their products of late. I know we're just a spec of the market but still.

Plus, I'm pretty sure the guy that runs TP is a boat racer himself. He's going to produce products he can't endorse? Not likely. I'm inclined to not believe this "not for boats" claim until I hear it from them directly.
    I agree

This is what I thought. ( have been having good experience with their 36xx motor)
    Interesting to see what the Germans are saying, still, too early at this time to jump to conclusion. Hopefully someone will shed some light on this matter. One thing is for sure, they have changed and I wish they had held onto their older version.
    If ( and I am pretty sure it is) this is a cost cutting measure to change to the present version, then TP is not alone, it is a global practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocstar View Post
    ^^^ Ridiculous post.
    lol rockstar

There is also HET and NEU motors besides TP and Leopard. HET is slightly more than a TP but, far better than both TP and Leopard.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by bayareaheli View Post
    I cant confirm what he posted is true. i was just showing what was mentioned on another thread. i wouldn't jump to any conclusions yet, my guess is i just got a bad apple out of the bunch.
    Agreed, we need confirmation. After all this is just one Germans' posting. It could just be there was a bad batch of rotors made.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    There is also HET and NEU motors besides TP and Leopard. HET is slightly more than a TP but, far better than both TP and Leopard.
    For those in the antipodes it can be difficult and costly to get good motors, esc's, hulls, hardware etc. There is no one stocking any good (FE) boat stuff in NZ, so you have to buy in from overseas, and the shipping really racks up the cost.

Wow! And to think this morning I was actually going to buy this same motor for a budget build. Not now.
    Ha, I was going to as well... For a 34" boat..... lol

I built a Rivercat for Spartanator with one of these motors and ran an m645 prop and the shaft did not slip. I think these motors are hit or miss because this isn't the first one I've seen so this. I haven't experienced it myself however.
    I will shoot an email to the new owner asking if he has ran it yet..... I miss that boat.
    Why are you bothering me? I want to see your boat!
    32" CF Rivercat--- built by "kfxguy" (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    Ooooo no your not!
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post

I will shoot an email to the new owner asking if he has ran it yet..... I miss that boat.
    Ooooo no your not!
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Ooooo no your not!

lol
    Fine.

New owner replied to me email. Still frozen up there....
    He said he would use it in a couple of weeks.
    I guess it hasn't been ran since December.
    Last edited by Spartanator; 04-07-2015 at 11:20 PM.
    Why are you bothering me? I want to see your boat!
    32" CF Rivercat--- built by "kfxguy" (SOLD)

Lol. That hull deserves a nice motor :)

Fastelectrics went bust, I though you had a Neu dealer there, sorry mate.

For those in the antipodes it can be difficult and costly to get good motors, esc's, hulls, hardware etc. There is no one stocking any good (FE) boat stuff in NZ, so you have to buy in from overseas, and the shipping really racks up the cost.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Originally Posted by tlandauer
    No mention if thrust bearing is used or not, my guess is that it wasn't used. That should have no bearing ( no pun intended) on this issue.

[QUOTE=bayareaheli;621796]correct no thrust bearing used.

A thrust bearing may have only delayed the issue. From what happened with the motor, it would have failed at some point or another. With all of the thrust being provided by the prop, and that thrust being transfered to the shaft and all the way up to the motor, you'll have to admit that there is a lot of force being applied to the motor. It just makes sense to remove those forces with a device designed for that purpose - a thrust washer.
    Also have to make sure that the drive dog was not up tight against the strut when it was being run. The flex shortening under load will also pull on that shaft. Not sure if that question was being asked as well.

First time I have heard of HET will have to check those out aswell. Do they make one big enough for a 48inch mono hull?

Agreed, we need confirmation. After all this is just one Germans' posting. It could just be there was a bad batch of rotors made.
    TP sounds like a pretty reputable company from what been reading from other threads and forums, also on their website it does mention for boat use so i'm pretty sure it was a fluke imo. I hope lol

[QUOTE=Quietlee;621911]Originally Posted by tlandauer

correct no thrust bearing used.

A thrust bearing may have only delayed the issue. From what happened with the motor, it would have failed at some point or another. With all of the thrust being provided by the prop, and that thrust being transfered to the shaft and all the way up to the motor, you'll have to admit that there is a lot of force being applied to the motor. It just makes sense to remove those forces with a device designed for that purpose - a thrust washer.
    Also have to make sure that the drive dog was not up tight against the strut when it was being run. The flex shortening under load will also pull on that shaft. Not sure if that question was being asked as well.
    I just ordered a 5mm thrust bearing from OSE for when I get a replacement, as for a gap for flex shrinkage under load yes I did, had about a 3/16 gap and a teflon washer between the drive dog and strut.

What was wierd is that I didnt notice any slippage on the previous run, and on the run where the shaft came loose I had just started a lap on the course and around the first lap around the second set of buoys I was getting back on the throttle and it was like the boat hit an instant neutral gear and stopped, I figured it will slip a bit then do that.

TP does not have the market cornered on quality hiccups. I'm sure they'll make it right.

Although.............not having run them myself I'm not sure I'm allowed to type that.
    Noisy person

All I know is I have probably 15 or so TP motors from 3630s up to 4070s and pretty much everything in between, I've yet to have one fail. A couple of them have been abused pretty bad and keep on tickin', the only problem I had was the end bells on two 4070s came loose because they just used grub screws instead of regular screws. I fixed them myself by replacing the grub screws with regular stainless screws. They'll have to get a lot worse for me to stop using them, I don't care whos motors you buy you're gonna have a problem every once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by flraptor07 View Post
    I don't care whos motors you buy you're gonna have a problem every once in a while.
    I totally agree.

I'm not sure how many TP we have running around our gang but I've seen a couple of them beaten pretty profusely and they seem to be good so far. But like I said, not my first hand experience.
    Noisy person

Fastelectrics went bust, I though you had a Neu dealer there, sorry mate.
    Closest I've found for Neu's is RC Boat Bitz in OZ, and they don't stock many Neu's. It is however where I got the TP motors I have, which I am quite happy with, they perform well and haven't given any problems.

It could be just this one or a whole batch, we don't know if TP makes the rotors in-house or they use a supplier. I am sure Steven would communicate with TPPowerUSA and this would be addressed.
    I had a 4050 that bought directly from TP because at that time OSE wasn't carrying any 4050 motors. The machining of the mounting holes was a bit off and although I could have ENLARGED the holes on my mount, I e mailed them. My e mail was promptly returned and I sent the motor back , got my full refund. They e mailed again and reassured me that the situation was passed on to the technician. From that experience I am quite confident that they do take a pride in having their products made right.
    In any event, this is not like having issues with products bought from HobbyKing and contacting their Customer Support is best described as a shot in the dark.
    I realize this is still a headache for the customer, not making light of what he has to go thru, but I would just like to pass on my experience with dealing with TP PowerUSA.

I hate to hear that I just order 2 off them for my mhz hull they were recommended by Ose

Quote Originally Posted by rauldino132 View Post
    I hate to hear that I just order 2 off them for my mhz hull they were recommended by Ose
    Personally I have not found any other threads on here or other forums about the same situation i had with my tp motor anywhere. I did a search on different forums and google.

I hope TP responds on this thread, if not I will post what the outcome turns out to be, just checked my tracking and my motor arrived at OSE today to be inspected, I sent it priority :D lol

USPS Tracking 9405503699300029718190

Well, good luck!
    I wish you didn't have to go thru this. On the other hand, I am less concerned with having a rare occurrence like this than chronic reports of motor burning up due to low quality in the stator or disintegrated magnets. ( again, I realize it is far easier for me to say...)
    As far as I know, unlike TFL and Swordfish, the liaison for TP doesn't really check this Forum, I could be wrong, but just a heads up.

Well, good luck!
    I wish you didn't have to go thru this. On the other hand, I am less concerned with having a rare occurrence like this than chronic reports of motor burning up due to low quality in the stator or disintegrated magnets. ( again, I realize it is far easier for me to say...)
    As far as I know, unlike TFL and Swordfish, the liaison for TP doesn't really check this Forum, I could be wrong, but just a heads up.
    Thanks tlandauer! As long as it gets resolved and there is some kind of explanation for what went wrong, i'm ok with that.

I'm guessing it will be a while though since they will probably send it to the manufacturer to inspect it, i'm just going to have to be patient.

Have you ever dealt with Aeromarine? I ordered a challenger 48 pro on march 26th they said they will ship it within 48 hours and now its April 10th and no boat or shipping conformation since then I have emailed them 6 times and called a few times left messages but no response so strange?

No, not directly with them. Remy usually is very helpful, but since I don't have 1st hand experience, perhaps people who do could chime in.
    Good Luck! I hope you get your order soon.

No, not directly with them. Remy usually is very helpful, but since I don't have 1st hand experience, perhaps people who do could chime in.
    Good Luck! I hope you get your order soon.
    Thanks again for the reply tlandauer. I hope I get soon too, building it will get my mind off my cheetah and TP motor. lol

Well i guess from what Steven said in an email is that the rotor must have not have been glued on very well so TP is sending a new rotor to OSE, Steven offered to replace it with a new motor but i decided to just go with the same one with a new rotor installed because they probably made sure it was glued in right this time around :) lol

Well i guess from what Steven said in an email is that the rotor must have not have been glued on very well so TP is sending a new rotor to OSE, Steven offered to replace it with a new motor but i decided to just go with the same one with a new rotor installed because they probably made sure it was glued in right this time around :) lol
    Post some Vid. when you run your boat!

Post some Vid. when you run your boat!
    I will forsure, here is my motionless cheetah for now lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast