Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New TP motor only a few runs shaft spun out?

Default New TP motor only a few runs shaft spun out?

I bought this motor from OSE its a TP 4060 1720 kv for my fightercat cheetah i bought it in feb and recently installed it. today about 30 to 40 seconds into my run my boat stopped when i gave it throttle i can hear the motor spin up, so i thought i lost my prop or drive shaft and prop or coupler got loose. so i went to go retrieve my boat when i got it in i noticed that my shaft was out a bit so i figured flex got loose but when i opened my canopy i found that my motor shaft was spinning oddly freely so i gave it throttle motor spun up but shaft did not move? how do i fix this?? or would it be covered by warranty?

here are some pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Definitely contact Steven, this is faulty workmanship and TP has an office here, so I am sure they would want to know this oddity. The steel shaft is not properly secured with the rest of the rotor. There was another thread regarding the shaft gaining free play, that motor was sent back to China (this might not have been purchased from OSE) and no satisfactory explanation was ever given to its owner, now I wonder if it was the same issure but that shaft just had not completely come loose???
    Just my $ .02
    Last edited by tlandauer; 04-06-2015 at 04:14 AM.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

How did the shaft come that far out inside the boat? I would have thought it would only move as much as the space left of exposed flex cable.? ¿??
    Nortavlag Bulc

Wow! And to think this morning I was actually going to buy this same motor for a budget build. Not now.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I think the OP pulled the shaft out to show us what he meant. It is certainly an arresting image and to think that the shaft and the rest of the rotor can spin independently free of each other......

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    Definitely contact Steven, this is faulty workmanship and TP has an office here, so I am sure they would want to know this oddity. The steel shaft is not properly secured with the rest of the rotor. There was another thread regarding the shaft gaining free play, that motor was sent back to China (this might not have been purchased from OSE) and no satisfactory explanation was ever given to its owner, now I wonder if it was the same issure but that shaft just had not completely come loose???
    Just my $ .02
    i contacted him today thanks he had me send it in for inspection. was kinda odd i though i lost a prop lol

Edit:

If I get a response from them as to what might have caused it I will post it here.
    Last edited by bayareaheli; 04-07-2015 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Wow! And to think this morning I was actually going to buy this same motor for a budget build. Not now.
    LOL kfxguy it was fast while it lasted :) maybe i just have bad luck?

I think the OP pulled the shaft out to show us what he meant. It is certainly an arresting image and to think that the shaft and the rest of the rotor can spin independently free of each other......
    Yes thats exactly it, i did pull out the shaft was kinda hard to explain it so figured you guys would understand from the pictures, it pulls in and out really easy. when it was in the boat you can still hear the motor spin up but the motor shaft and prop would not move was really strange :)

Quote Originally Posted by bayareaheli View Post
    Yes thats exactly it, i did pull out the shaft was kinda hard to explain it so figured you guys would understand from the pictures, it pulls in and out really easy. when it was in the boat you can still hear the motor spin up but the motor shaft and prop would not move was really strange :)
    I should have bought this motor from you, makes one hell of a trick motor.
    P.S. I don't mean to make light of your situation.

I should have bought this motor from you, makes one hell of a trick motor.
    P.S. I don't mean to make light of your situation.
    Haha , it would make a trick motor. And no problem i'm sure it will get taken care of was just very odd, glad it was not my new hughey flex and sharpened prop at the bottom of the lake I think I would have been really upset then lol

Maybe to big of prop? When I ran it I was using 5s 2P leopard 180a esc with castle cap bank, cant remember timing have to plug in program card to check. And prop I was using was a octura X445

I don't think the size of the prop had anything to do with this. At the most, if you used a prop that was too big and exceeded the motor's tolerance, it would have burned the stator copper wires' lacquer. The smell is very distinct, you would know, also when this happens, you can barely spin the shaft by hand, every burned motor I had all felt the same way. My take is that whatever method that is used to lock the shaft with the magnet rotor wasn't done correctly and thus this was allowed to happen.

I don't think the size of the prop had anything to do with this. At the most, if you used a prop that was too big and exceeded the motor's tolerance, it would have burned the stator copper wires' lacquer. The smell is very distinct, you would know, also when this happens, you can barely spin the shaft by hand, every burned motor I had all felt the same way. My take is that whatever method that is used to lock the shaft with the magnet rotor wasn't done correctly and thus this was allowed to happen.
    Oh ok that makes sense, cause yeah the motor was cool to the touch and no wierd smells when I opened the hatch. And the motor rotor still spins up inside when you apply the throttle but the motor shaft does not spin, hopefully if they send a new one same thing don't happen.

Crossing my fingers.

Maybe to big of prop? When I ran it I was using 5s 2P leopard 180a esc with castle cap bank, cant remember timing have to plug in program card to check. And prop I was using was a octura X445
    I built a Rivercat for Spartanator with one of these motors and ran an m645 prop and the shaft did not slip. I think these motors are hit or miss because this isn't the first one I've seen so this. I haven't experienced it myself however.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Likely a fluke. TP has a pretty good reputation.
    Noisy person

Went through the thread again and I don't see any mention of a thrust bearing. Was one being used on this setup? It still shouldn't have happened, but I'm wondering if there was a bearing or not.

I built a Rivercat for Spartanator with one of these motors and ran an m645 prop and the shaft did not slip. I think these motors are hit or miss because this isn't the first one I've seen so this. I haven't experienced it myself however.
    I'm new to boat's but you already know that lol you helped me build my cheetah, thanks again. I think I just got a bad one out of the batch, boat was running awesome before this happened. I should have went with the motor you mentioned in the beginning, oh well learn the hard way lol

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    I'm guessing the same thing I have read alot of good things about the motors thats why I bought one.

Quote Originally Posted by Quietlee View Post
    Went through the thread again and I don't see any mention of a thrust bearing. Was one being used on this setup? It still shouldn't have happened, but I'm wondering if there was a bearing or not.
    Sorry forgot to mention that, I was running a MBP Collet but no thrust washer. Should I be running some?

I'm new to boat's but you already know that lol you helped me build my cheetah, thanks again. I think I just got a bad one out of the batch, boat was running awesome before this happened. I should have went with the motor you mentioned in the beginning, oh well learn the hard way lol
    What motor did I recommend to you?

what motor did i recommend to you?
    double post

What motor did I recommend to you?
    It was a neu1521 1577kv motor same one you put in that carbon fiber cheetah you built for some one.

It was a neu1521 1577kv motor same one you put in that carbon fiber cheetah you built for some one.
    Yea, his runs really good. I think a cheetah really needs a 1527 tho. Or a 4070 tp. If you go the cheaper route.

Yea, his runs really good. I think a cheetah really needs a 1527 tho. Or a 4070 tp. If you go the cheaper route.
    I think i will wait to see what happens my cheetah was running really fast with the TP 4060 1720kv i was happy with the performance, but if they send me a new one back i might sell it and get a 1527, i recently bought a castle 2028 for my challenger 48 build i'm really happy with the quality of that motor as well, a german guy on another thread said that the v2 tp motors have had al ot of these problems with the shaft and that the older ones were ok here is the thread i posted on that forum http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2386172

I think i will wait to see what happens my cheetah was running really fast with the TP 4060 1720kv i was happy with the performance, but if they send me a new one back i might sell it and get a 1527, i recently bought a castle 2028 for my challenger 48 build i'm really happy with the quality of that motor as well, a german guy on another thread said that the v2 tp motors have had al ot of these problems with the shaft and that the older ones were ok here is the thread i posted on that forum http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2386172
    Sooo... this is not good! If TP are saying (and it would be great if someone from TP can confirm) that their motors are no longer suitable for boats then I guess it's back to Leopards. From an engineering standpoint, an electric motor should be able to be stalled without the rotor spinning on the shaft. If TP have been manufacturing a product that would mechanically fail a simple stall test then they need to rethink what they are doing!

Shame, shame, shame on them!

Most companies that have good products work on improving the product, even if it costs a little more, consumers will pay for good products. Sack the idiot that came up with that plan, get it right and care for your customers, or refund them their money in full!!
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

I just emailed to power usa with a link to this thread. Hopefully they will clear some of this up and take care of the op. I don't see why they wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Quietlee View Post
    No mention if thrust bearing is used or not, my guess is that it wasn't used. That should have no bearing ( no pun intended) on this issue.

This would surprise me. Especially with the commitment that some have made to their products of late. I know we're just a spec of the market but still.

Plus, I'm pretty sure the guy that runs TP is a boat racer himself. He's going to produce products he can't endorse? Not likely. I'm inclined to not believe this "not for boats" claim until I hear it from them directly.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    This is what I thought. ( have been having good experience with their 36xx motor)
    Interesting to see what the Germans are saying, still, too early at this time to jump to conclusion. Hopefully someone will shed some light on this matter. One thing is for sure, they have changed and I wish they had held onto their older version.
    If ( and I am pretty sure it is) this is a cost cutting measure to change to the present version, then TP is not alone, it is a global practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    Sooo... this is not good! If TP are saying (and it would be great if someone from TP can confirm) that their motors are no longer suitable for boats then I guess it's back to Leopards. From an engineering standpoint, an electric motor should be able to be stalled without the rotor spinning on the shaft. If TP have been manufacturing a product that would mechanically fail a simple stall test then they need to rethink what they are doing!

Shame, shame, shame on them!

Most companies that have good products work on improving the product, even if it costs a little more, consumers will pay for good products. Sack the idiot that came up with that plan, get it right and care for your customers, or refund them their money in full!!
    ^^^ Ridiculous post.
    "There's nothing else I really want to do other than get up and build boats." - Mike Fiore

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast