Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Open Water thread

Default 2015 Open Water thread

Welcome to the MMEU 2015 Open Water thread.

Instead of making a bunch of different threads weekly about open water/practices , just post on this one for all questions, concerns, comments about upcoming sessions.

Looking forward to a Great season , and always remember the most important rule of RC boat racing is..... Have Fun!!

Tom
    Caution: Does not play well with others!

Figures..........need to get the course in today and it's 25 degrees. Typical.
    Noisy person

Okay. So who went to practice yesterday then got up today and made major changes?
    Noisy person

went to the pond--tooooooooo cold! went home worked on the new trailer using a heater to keep warm---while i was thinking of you guys freezing out there! HAVE NOT DONE ANYTHING TODAY--I HATE THIS WEATHER.

Finally got my Peter's & May back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's great news Todd. Does 10s fit in there? LOL

Not sure how late but the pond will be open this evening. I'm cold just thinking about it.
    Noisy person

I'll be there! ......but with no boats.... Never thought I'd see the day.

Good. You tie the subs in place. LOL I hate the cold. MI sucks.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Good. You tie the subs in place. LOL I hate the cold. MI sucks.
    By this time, that pond must be a sub-buoy land mine... I can't help to wonder why we don't pull them at the end of the year so we are not replacing the parts in random spots ever year. Seems like an unnecessary expense yearly regardless if the club pays for it or if they are "donated"

More pennies from Mike

We? haha

Cuz they're gross and someone has to take them home. Guess where the nats course is?

There were 8 of them below the surface. Of those, 6 were still in place. That's 6 I don't have to put my arms in the water for. I'll take it. Those subs don't cost 5 bucks each anyway. Who knows too, I may still find the 2. Sometimes one set of eyes doesn't cut it.

At the end of this season, nobody is free to go until we've done a thorough clean up. You were right about that. We gotta do better. Heck, maybe we should do that at every race. We find so much tape laying around it's reeeeediculus.
    Noisy person

We? haha

Cuz they're gross and someone has to take them home. Guess where the nats course is?

There were 8 of them below the surface. Of those, 6 were still in place. That's 6 I don't have to put my arms in the water for. I'll take it. Those subs don't cost 5 bucks each anyway. Who knows too, I may still find the 2. Sometimes one set of eyes doesn't cut it.

At the end of this season, nobody is free to go until we've done a thorough clean up. You were right about that. We gotta do better. Heck, maybe we should do that at every race. We find so much tape laying around it's reeeeediculus.
    Never mind....

Hey Guys,
    I saw the Tom and Terry are going to Atlanta on Saturday 4/18/15. Could we get a confirmation that Fred and/or Bob are going to have the pond open for practice that day?

I got out to my local pond in Novi last Saturday 4/11/15 to give my boats a first run. I picked up a used Motley Crew and made some upgrades. And I had bought an SV27 from Jimmy. Unfortunately, those will be my only boats for the first couple races. Running SV27, P-Limited Offshore, and P-Limited Cat.

I have made those modifications to the stuffing tubes and turn fin on my carbon fiber boats but just haven't had the time to finish them up and get them race ready. I kind of like the idea of getting a few races under my belt before putting those expensive boats on the water anyway.

Newbie funny... I already lost a prop. The SV27 I bought from Jimmy.... Yeah, I just assumed the prop nut was tight. Nope! Got 100 feet from shore and the boat stopped. Glad I picked up a custom made rescue boat or I would have been swimming. I had a flip over with the Motley Crew that I used the rescue boat for as well. Otherwise a fun few hours of making adjustments and figuring out where to place the batteries. Really looking forward to practice and the first race.
    Have fun with that....

Not sure about this Saturday but I will be there this and next Wednesday ( around 6) and Saturday the 25th at 10am.

Yes, I spoke with Bob yesterday. He'll be there Saturday.

I planned to be there this Wednesday too but that makes no sense. I have too much work to do to get ready for Atlanta. Want to get the P mono built before we leave.
    Noisy person

Bring the oars!

Yes, I spoke with Bob yesterday. He'll be there Saturday.

I planned to be there this Wednesday too but that makes no sense. I have too much work to do to get ready for Atlanta. Want to get the P mono built before we leave.
    That's Bob Zola who said he will be there on Saturday 4/18/15? Sorry just want to make sure as it is almost an hour drive for me to get there.
    Have fun with that....

Yes. 4-18-15 open water.

I'll track Fred down and get the oars on site.
    Noisy person

Question

I am getting back into the hobby and would like to stop out and check you guys out.

Will you be at "7460 TwentyThree Mile Road, Shelby Township, MI 48316

Located on the south side of 23 Mile, between Van Dyke and Mound Roads" this Saturday? I am coming from the Lansing area and want to make sure that I am going to the correct place.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by DaMiKo View Post
    Located on the south side of 23 Mile, between Van Dyke and Mound Roads" this Saturday? I am coming from the Lansing area and want to make sure that I am going to the correct place.
    That's the spot.

Turn out has been light thus far for open water. If you really want to check it out, wait for our first club race on 4-26-15 We should have around 25 racers for that. A nice variety of boats at the club races.
    Noisy person

That's the spot.

Turn out has been light thus far for open water. If you really want to check it out, wait for our first club race on 4-26-15 We should have around 25 racers for that. A nice variety of boats at the club races.
    Very well then I will see if I can make it to the race that day! Where can I find out what classes and rule packages you guys are running this year? Right now I have a single motor genesis hull I am finishing up.

Basically we run NAMBA spec classes for points

• P Limited Sport Hydro
    • P Limited Offshore
    • P limited mono
    • SV27
    • P Limited Cat

The spec classes are basically 34" or less on 4s batteries and Aquacraft or Proboat motors.

SV27 is a bone stock class where we all have the exact same batteries and hand out props. Unfortunately the SV27 has been discontinued. We'll continue to run the class until the supply of boats dries up.

We also run regularly Q Sport and P Sport.

Q Sport is a 6s full bodied hydro class.
    P Sport is a 4s full bodies hydro class.

There has been a lot of talk about 1/10th scale hydro running this summer. A number of guys have them no but getting them all out there has been an issue in previous years.

We may even see some 1/8 scales this summer. Although the prospect of racing them on our little puddle is terrifying. haha

We've always maintained that if three of any particular class show up we'll make some heats for them. We don't like to send anybody away without racing. They need NAMBA membership or single even insurance of course. Then if three of a particular class show up for every race of the season we add that class to the clubs official list of points classes. We've gained classes and lost classes with this policy. Seems to be just about right though.

The Genesis doesn't really fit in any of those classes unfortunately. Worth a look at what we're doing if you're thinking about trying some racing. It's good fun and not too crazy expensive for the spec classes.

You can figure the classes all out by reading the NAMBA rule book but that's kinda the step after you decide you want to try it. So stop on by. Ask a millionteen questions. Nobody minds.
    Noisy person

Thanks for the response. My name is Mike and I'll see you guys out there one of these weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by DaMiKo View Post
    Very well then I will see if I can make it to the race that day! Where can I find out what classes and rule packages you guys are running this year? Right now I have a single motor genesis hull I am finishing up.

Atleast I'll have someone to put my Genesis up against for fun....
    Jeff S.
    NAMBA #295

Basically we run NAMBA spec classes for points

We've always maintained that if three of any particular class show up we'll make some heats for them. We don't like to send anybody away without racing. They need NAMBA membership or single even insurance of course. Then if three of a particular class show up for every race of the season we add that class to the clubs official list of points classes. We've gained classes and lost classes with this policy. Seems to be just about right though.

The Genesis doesn't really fit in any of those classes unfortunately. Worth a look at what we're doing if you're thinking about trying some racing. It's good fun and not too crazy expensive for the spec classes.

You can figure the classes all out by reading the NAMBA rule book but that's kinda the step after you decide you want to try it. So stop on by. Ask a millionteen questions. Nobody minds.
    And then GOD looked down and said... "LET THERE BE Q-CAT"
    Jeff S.
    NAMBA #295

Quote Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
    Atleast I'll have someone to put my Genesis up against for fun....
    Hey Jeff, did you ever pick up a Lucas? I remember we talked about it.
    Noisy person

Hmmmm I could bring my Cheetah and . . . . something other than P-Limited Cat it is !!!
    LOL that's not gonna happen, not enough batteries.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Jeff, did you ever pick up a Lucas? I remember we talked about it.
    I haven't bought one yet. I may end up with a friends Motley Crew, he's not gonna race it.

I will be there for Sunday race, I don't plan on racing and can help if anyone needs help with anything. I do plan on bringing my camera to get some race shots hopefully.
    Jeff S.
    NAMBA #295

Quote Originally Posted by tjcast View Post
    Hmmmm I could bring my Cheetah and . . . . something other than P-Limited Cat it is !!!
    LOL that's not gonna happen, not enough batteries.
    Nice Cheetah Tom. I like that.

And you probably only need a couple sets of 6S batteries. Not like our wives will complain about a few more batteries.
    Jeff S.
    NAMBA #295

LOL that is actually a P (4s) Cat

Toms Cheetah is the best running cat I've ever seen!!!!

So, are we going to going to run tomorrow? You guys acclimated to the MI weather yet??

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast