Thread: Do I need to use an external BEC if i'm running 5s?

Cool Do I need to use an external BEC if i'm running 5s?

I'm just looking for some guidance for running my boat. Do I need to run an external BEC on my proboat impulse 31 v2, I'll be using mostly 5s (2s 50c 5000mah + 3s 50c 5000mah in series)

My driveline modes:

-1500kv dynamite motor
    -OFSE upgraded drive shaft
    -stock stiletto prop (may switch to grimmracer 42mm in the summer)
    -80a dynamite esc (i have 120A esc and 180A esc as back ups)

If its recommended can you please give me a recommended product. I know that I will have to disconnect one wire off the esc but do I connect the external BEC pack directly to the receiver box in the "bind" slot?

Thanks!

running an external bec takes some load off the esc and lowers the temps. Think of it this way, you have more voltage coming in than going out so you have to step it down some way or another...that builds more heat. Anyway, on boats 26" and above (just my own rule) i always use a external bec. You disconnect the red wire in the receiver plug from the esc to the receiver then plug the bec power into the empty slot or bind slot.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    running an external bec takes some load off the esc and lowers the temps. Think of it this way, you have more voltage coming in than going out so you have to step it down some way or another...that builds more heat. Anyway, on boats 26" and above (just my own rule) i always use a external bec. You disconnect the red wire in the receiver plug from the esc to the receiver then plug the bec power into the empty slot or bind slot.
    Thanks for the reply! Do you have recommendation on a specific product? What's better rechargeable packs or regular alkaline batteries BEC.

Will one pack be okay for multiple runs? I plan on doing 5 runs back to back with cool down breaks.

Lastly, what would happen if the BEC was dead with drained batteries while I'm running my boat? Will it just cut range off?

I appreciate the support

I don't use a battery pack. I use an external ubec
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was