Thread: Aquacraft Cajun Commander Airboat

Default Aquacraft Cajun Commander Airboat

All I can say is OMG this airboat is awesome, is not underpowered, it turns very well, it go so fast that it goes airborne if you don't watch it. My son n I are very pleased with it, we ran this thing for like a good 25minutes one a 3s 5000Mha lipo, it was like forever lol.

It goes on dry grass, wet sand u name it it goes, well done Aquacraft!!!

You already bought one ??
    Too many boats, not enough time...

I just saw it today and i just could not walk away from it...

well... I'm sad to inform that the motor went bad, I called Aquacraft customer service and after 15 minutes on waiting I was told to email a copy of the receipt and they will send a replacement motor.
    Just 3 packs thru it, maybe bad luck but a disappointment to say the least.

Sorry to hear that, hopefully the replacement motor will last...... otherwise get a TP motor.
    May I ask you where you got your boat? Tower Hobbies won't have it until June...

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Ramos View Post
    well... I'm sad to inform that the motor went bad, I called Aquacraft customer service and after 15 minutes on waiting I was told to email a copy of the receipt and they will send a replacement motor.
    Just 3 packs thru it, maybe bad luck but a disappointment to say the least.
    How much of your running was on land ?

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    Sorry to hear that, hopefully the replacement motor will last...... otherwise get a TP motor.
    May I ask you where you got your boat? Tower Hobbies won't have it until June...
    June is just the expected date. they will probably have them sooner.
    They have been showing up in Hobby Town stores.

Quote Originally Posted by revoltrunner View Post
    June is just the expected date. they will probably have them sooner.
    They have been showing up in Hobby Town stores.
    I was surprised that it hits the stores THAT MUCH sooner. But I spent my $$$ on the Traxxas Funny car, so it may just as well, will wait until June...lol...

I got mine at hobbytown in lakeland, fl they do have 2 more plus they do have the traxxas funny car as well.

To answer revolt runner question i did not ran it on land at all. All in water.

I also had laying aroung a 1800kv motor from my old sv27 and I got a 5mm prop adapter and a 2 blade prop and a few minor tweaks and presto!
    To my surprise it started doing the same hesitation that did with the other motor!!! so I also had the esc from the sv27 and after the first water test on my pool this thing is wicked now, way faster. We will see tomorrow at the lake.IMG_0477.jpgIMG_0478.jpgIMG_0479.jpgIMG_0480.jpgIMG_0481.jpg

Watch out your run time, these inrunner motors would get hot if it is not water cooled, same goes for the ESC.

Curious as to why AquaCraft calls the ESC "air cooled" , as far as I could tell, this is the same WATER COOLED 50Amp ESC from the P-27 Gunslinger . The Product page doesn't show any modification to the heat sink, looks like they just left the brass fittings uninstalled. Some fins to allow the heat to be carried away by the wind (air) would be real nice, i.e. like any of the ESCs intended for land RC use.
    Just saying.....

I agree with you 100%, Im happy to informed that I ran 2 packs with this new setup and i think is a bit 2 much power what was full power on the radio now is 50% of the throttle, if i punch it more all it needs is wings because it goes airborne lol
    Curious as to why AquaCraft calls the ESC "air cooled" , as far as I could tell, this is the same WATER COOLED 50Amp ESC from the P-27 Gunslinger . The Product page doesn't show any modification to the heat sink, looks like they just left the brass fittings uninstalled. Some fins to allow the heat to be carried away by the wind (air) would be real nice, i.e. like any of the ESCs intended for land RC use.
    Just saying.....

I assume you are running 3s? This "old" ESC for the SV27 could run 3s I suppose, the newer ones used on Revolt 30 and Motley Crew can only use 4s, it would not arm if it is less than 4s.

correct running on 3s tlandauder.

Tim,
    The motor & ESC is from the Wildcat EP cat, it's the AQ way... http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats...cat/index.html - check the P/N's

Soon as I saw that wanna-be sm blk chevy (guess Mikey don't like Hemi's) & pusher prop, I knew heat would be an issue.

I've seen quite a few in-runners with built on heat sinks like this example... http://www.leopardhobby.com/proviewe...39&gid=92&pt=3, might help to keep things in check.

That's not a very good example BTW, I've seen quite a few others with more substantial heat sinks. But even then, without airflow over the motor....

ESC easier to address, there's jillions of them for heli's/planes with heatsinks protruding, BUT, still need airflow. Car/truck unit prob better choice cuz they have built on fan.

Too bad these are disco'ed...http://www.hobbywing.com/oldproduct_show.asp?id=20 - the 70-amp unit would be perfect, have one on my Stampede converted to Son-Uva Digger rig.

Just saying.....
    AQ MiniMono - CopterX 430XL 3550kv BL Outrunner + Seaking(V2) 35A on 2S VERY Fast
    Pro Boat SW26v3 - 2860-2600kv + Seaking(V2) 90A on 3S, Build in Progress
    Pro Boat Stealthwake 23 - Stock For Now - Brushless Down The Road

better choise : outrunner used in helicopter 500 class
    they got a fan that gets an airflow over the windings
    esc : i prefer car esc's , they got reverse , comes in handy sometimes with this kind off boats

btw , 1800kv is too much in my book for an airboat
    get something like 1100-1300 kv for 3s , if not fast enough : prop up
    anything above 1500 :noice , noice and noice

Reason he went with 1800Kv is probably bcuz the stock motor is 1800Kv (outrunner) - check out AQ's WildCat EP boat, full size not the mini - AQ used the motor from that boat.

Keeping with the outrunner theme, how bout this one... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDSMX&P=0 - same size (35x36) as stock motor, but has xtra 400Kv.

Here's the prop adapter for that motor... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDSNB&P=Z

And a couple prop choices... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDSNC&P=Z - and - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDSND&P=Z
    Bet that would get things movin along quite nicely

Quote Originally Posted by iop65 View Post
    better choise : outrunner used in helicopter 500 class
    they got a fan that gets an airflow over the windings
    esc : i prefer car esc's , they got reverse , comes in handy sometimes with this kind off boats

btw , 1800kv is too much in my book for an airboat
    get something like 1100-1300 kv for 3s , if not fast enough : prop up
    anything above 1500 :noice , noice and noice
    AQ MiniMono - CopterX 430XL 3550kv BL Outrunner + Seaking(V2) 35A on 2S VERY Fast

well the motor is in and the esc is on his way, heat is a concern for sure. I open it up the front of the engine block with my dremmel and did small holes on the air filter so the heat can dissipate. Thunderstorms in FL right now after work so yet to test it but tomorrow for sure!!!

LHS has one in stock already, was checking it out bout week ago. Just had a feeling that heat would be an issue cuz of the imitation motor & pusher prop configuration.

I am interested in seeing your mods to the imitation motor & if they helped.

I'm not a big fan of AQ ESC's (except for the 45a SV27R), never have been. Still feel the best route would be a HobbyWing (or Turnigy equivalent) car\truck setup.

well the motor is in and the esc is on his way, heat is a concern for sure. I open it up the front of the engine block with my dremmel and did small holes on the air filter so the heat can dissipate. Thunderstorms in FL right now after work so yet to test it but tomorrow for sure!!!

2200 kv 3s : don't do that !

IMG_0549.jpgIMG_0550.jpgIMG_0551.jpgIMG_0552.jpgIMG_0553.jpg

there you go, ran 3 pack and no heating issues, did not had my temp gun but warm to the touch not sizzling hot. So far so good.

Thanks!

Question... Why did you drill out the air cleaner?? - Seems to me those 3 recesses behind the header would have been a better choice - JMO

Suggestion... cover the opening you cut-out with screen mesh - like from screen door or similar, shoot it with a coat of flat black paint to make less noticeable. That'll give you the cooling & help keep debris out of the back of the motor if you run it in swampy conditions.

IMG_0549.jpgIMG_0550.jpgIMG_0551.jpgIMG_0552.jpgIMG_0553.jpg

there you go, ran 3 pack and no heating issues, did not had my temp gun but warm to the touch not sizzling hot. So far so good.

i hear ya, not worry right now for cosmetics, i want it to work right first, i also plan to replace that chevy for a hemi...ohhhh yeah mopar all day, every day lol

Mopar all day, every day... GREAT CHOICE!!

See attached (most of that chassis is RPM), that bod is now on LCG [Rusty with Dynamite kit] chassis - need to shoot some new pix...

The reference to "Mikey" in post #14 is this guy... http://www.aquacraftmodels.com/boats...gallery14b.jpg - he designed the boat, nothin personal, just an off the cuff remark.

i hear ya, not worry right now for cosmetics, i want it to work right first, i also plan to replace that chevy for a hemi...ohhhh yeah mopar all day, every day lol

Very nice!! ( your Truck)
    To the OP:
    As for the air boat, I will wait until June, my LHS is no longer a viable place, it was one of the biggest independently owned hobby shops in So Cal. I know the owners for ten years and had always gotten great deals from them, but they have down sized to a small shop and is not stocking anything right now.
    Mean while I will just enjoy and watch your report.

I'm goin to join the CC owner's club as soon as Tower ships. BTW, the Parkzone PKZ1015 is a 9.7.5 w/ a 4mm dia hole prop (I ck'd the motor specs that this prop goes on) so the .5 extra bite might move it along a little faster :)

Ive been running mine around for a few weeks now. It still hops a bit on plane.

I added some lead weight up front, it helped a little bit but what else am I missing?

Swapped out to a Holmes BLE Pro ESC so I could reliably run 4s if I want. Cut the fake motor to help airflow. The stock esc doesn't like 4s too much. I may grab a MMP to put over the top of it.

I made a trailer for mine as well.

Found a $4 driver at walmart. Working bending his legs to fit in the driver seat.

Behind the mud truck

TEAM Crawler Innovations, TEAM Holmes Hobbies, TEAM BC Paints!, TEAM OTTSIX , TEAM Y-Town Crawlers

Does anybody know the size of the 1800kv motor?

Quote Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
    Does anybody know the size of the 1800kv motor?
    35mm x 36mm and 3.8oz

On their website and tower.
    TEAM Crawler Innovations, TEAM Holmes Hobbies, TEAM BC Paints!, TEAM OTTSIX , TEAM Y-Town Crawlers

I blew my stock motor up also.....Of course it was sucking on a 4s pack. LMAO!

Has anyone else tried different motor/prop combos with any success? I need to get the commander going again because the lakes are frozen, so I want to have a rescue rig for my float planes, in case one tips over out on the ice.

-Chad