Thread: air-cooled esc

Default air-cooled esc

Has anyone ran an air-cooled esc in a rigger? I know people have run them in larger volume boats. What if you ran one in a rigger and put an air intake somewhere like in the transom above the water-line. The hull would be pressurized in case the boat flipped and wouldnt take on water. wiring the cooling fans to lipos would prevent loss of power . Any thoughts? Maybe someone in a warm climate could try this. We still have ice here.

I have and do run what you may call air cooled or un-cooled ESCs in riggers by way of using stock air ESCs they get rid of some heat to air but have no large heatsink or fan as you would find on a car ESC. I make sure the ESC has plenty of overhead, I run a CC Icelite50 in my 3s Mini Hydro which pulls 40A peaks and 20A average, and I run a CC Icelite200 or a Suppo GX200bec in my 6s Hydro2 which pull 180A peaks 120A full throttle and 60A average, I tried an CC Icelite100 in my 3s Hydro1 which pulls 90A peaks and 55A average, but it only lasted a few runs and I went back to a CC Phoenix80 with home made watercooling.

I have also designed a few electric model planes and can tell you that just an inlet will let water in pointlessly, unless you have an exhaust at least as big (and preferably much bigger) as the inlet you wont get enough airflow over your ESC to be worth having.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

makes sense, thanks