Thread: SprintCat .40 for Q Sprint and Offshore

Default SprintCat .40 for Q Sprint and Offshore

A good customer from North of the border wants to race Q Cat Sprint & Offshore and this boat is the obvious choice.To get me centered I started off reading Mr. KevinPratt's build thread, then consulted with the best of the best : Jay T, Tyler G, and the infamousMR. Q Offshore, my buddy MadMike P. Thanks to all of you for the info & inspiration

For starters, the turbine cowl needed the pipe exit closed off and a small deck built for taping purposes. For retrieve-boat friendly cowl retention, two 4mm thumbscrews in back and a tongue in front gets the job done :

DSC06413.JPGDSC06454.JPGDSC06452.JPGDSC06450-1.JPG

For rear hardware, the Speedmaster 60/90 dual pickup rudder is big & sturdy and the .250 strut will accommodate the .250 flex stepped down for the 3/16 bore props :

DSC06470-1.JPG
    Last edited by properchopper; 03-31-2015 at 07:42 PM.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

About time to see a build thread from you Tony!!
    Looks great, I love your hatch retention tongue and the CF deck in the turbine exhaust looks cool!
    Following along and can't wait to see more!!!
    Too many boats, not enough time...

The hull was, at Mr. Pag's recommendation, ordered minus rails but with custom battery trays integrated in the sponson canyons. A stock CF motor mount with the CF side plates proved not long enough to accommodate the HRC cooling can on the Neu 1527 so I made new, longer side plates from aluminum stock which upon inspection seemed to lack sufficient bonding area to keep the motor from escaping during a those curiously charming "big splat" events that can occur during the heat of competition. I cut some "mini-rails" which integrate with the motor mount side plates providing WAY more bonding surface and at the same time forming a mount for the Tyler G. modded Schulze 40.160 ESC.

Sprintcat build 3.14.15149.JPG

Assembly installed in hull with relocated cooling line input on cooling can since the original input was blocked by the motor mount side plate. Also visible is the extended battery platform in the sponson which I did to allow for more battery movement to adjust CG.:
    Sprintcat build 3.14.15049.JPG Sprintcat build 3.14.15005.JPG

Rear waterlines, HiTec water resistant servo, Hyperion Rx battery with On/Off/Charging switch

Sprintcat build 3.14.15052.JPG

Not pictured, the custom-built Dinogy/Giant power packs - two 3S 5000 65C/130C packs grafted together in tandem to go in the sponsons.

The hull minus graphics - now on it's way North as the lakes take their time re-liquifying

DSC06411-1.JPG

Tony
    rcboatbuild@hotmail.com
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Hey Tony,

What strut is that? It looks like a Speedmaster .250 CAT strut. Do they intend on running a .25 cable? One more request, can you measure the tunnel for me? At the transom from the table top to the center of the tunnel. I want to compare it to a different Aeromarine hull I have here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    Hey Tony,

What strut is that? It looks like a Speedmaster .250 CAT strut. Do they intend on running a .25 cable? One more request, can you measure the tunnel for me? At the transom from the table top to the center of the tunnel. I want to compare it to a different Aeromarine hull I have here.

Thanks

Mike,

It's a .250 cat strut. The customer wanted to run a .250 cable so size-wise the bushing for the .250 strut is fine (the step down occurs after the propshaft exits the rear of the strut.) What I didn't show is how I changed the normal "nitro" configuration in which the stuffing tube goes clear through to the very rear of the strut but makes strut "tilting" a bit difficult. I did this to allow some angling ALTHOUGH the .250 shaft is REALLY LONG and enters the stuffing tube in such a way as to restrict adjustment. At least there's some this way if needed - I felt that I should give the customer that option

Sprintcat build 3.14.15171.JPG

The boat's at the shipper so I can't measure the tunnel, sorry

Why not the Team Believer with updated hatch ? It would have been roomy :)
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by rearwheelin View Post
    Why not the Team Believer with updated hatch ? It would have been roomy :)
    I was commissioned to build a Sprintcat.

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    I was commissioned to build a Sprintcat.
    A lot of people don't know about the update on it . I'm sure he did but if it was me doing the building I would have recommended it just because it's builder friendly .

I like your drop in mount :)
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    --Albert Einstein

Tony,
    Beautiful as always! The motor mount plate and the rails, the cooling lines and the stuffing tube exit, all bear your signature!
    A word of apology now that I realize you just wanted to post some pictures, certainly wasn't my intention to jump all over your thread....
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Tim,

You're ALWAYS welcome in my posts as well as Mi Casa & pits also

Your boats truly rock Tony ! Lite , simple , strong and easy on the eyes . Above all they work
    --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by rearwheelin View Post
    Your boats truly rock Tony ! Lite , simple , strong and easy on the eyes . Above all they work

Randy, I like to keep the interiors of my builds ultra clean/simple after once being traumatized by seeing a big Cat with FOUR MOTORS !!

Randy, I like to keep the interiors of my builds ultra clean/simple after once being traumatized by seeing a big Cat with FOUR MOTORS !!
    Yeah that thing kind of traumatized me to ! It kinda made the rest look like sissy boats lol those kind of builds are over with for me lol

The look I got from you all down there image.jpg
    Last edited by rearwheelin; 04-01-2015 at 06:36 PM.
    --Albert Einstein

Geeze that must be a record for boat building, all of 25 minutes and 2 post lol
    Good work chopper.
    Brisbane,QLD, Aussie

Quote Originally Posted by Heath M View Post
    Geeze that must be a record for boat building, all of 25 minutes and 2 post lol
    Good work chopper.
    Thanks Heath It took somewhat longer to build than to post the build. After last weekend's race I was exhausted so I just did a condensed post while catching up on some sleep

100_0592.jpg

Thanks Heath It took somewhat longer to build than to post the build. After last weekend's race I was exhausted so I just did a condensed post while catching up on some sleep

100_0592.jpg
    was wondering where you put the batteries as I know those boats are tight for electrics tony

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    was wondering where you put the batteries as I know those boats are tight for electrics tony
    they go down in the sponsons on each side. I have a .21 size sprintcat that i won the 2021 Namba Nats with in p-cat. I also got to personally pit and see Mike Pags boat over the years and it had them down in the sponsons on each side as well.
    Tommy Levescy sponsored by: RCJuice.com, Rawspeed, Scorpion Precision Performance, TC Racing, Triton RC, Oxidean Marine and Cencal Hobbies.
    Current Namba 1mile record holder: Pltd sport hydro 1:19:72 P-sport hydro 1:14:31