Thread: WTB ESC for first boat build

Default WTB ESC for first boat build

Well, I've been reading a lot and have been building a small 18" rigger for myself for several weeks now.

I'm looking for a 40 amp continuous brushless ESC for this system (preferably watercooled).

I have been struggling with the funds to make this build happen and appreciate everyone's assistance thus far! Special thanks to DiegoBoy and JSolinger.

So, if you have an extra ESC sitting around, I'd like to give it a good home. I'm willing to pay, but please nothing in the higher price range, like a Hydra. I can't afford it and don't want to waste your time.

Thanks!
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Even in the smaller boat the high rpm motors are pulling more than 40 amps.
    I would look for one of those mystery 80 esc's.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Thanks Steven, I'll go looking. Am I looking on Ebay?

A friend recommended the amp rating for this build. Do these mystery ESC's hold up? I don't know anything about them. In short, please give me "the good, the bad, and the ugly" on these Mystery ESC's.

I appreciate it.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

OK,

I've looked and the threads regarding the mystery ESC. I'm thinking I may go with a Seaking ESC. Does anyone have any feedback on these ESC's? I did a search, but didn't come up with much here on the forum.

Thanks for the input!

Anyone know anything about the Seaking ESC'S? or have one available to buy?

Smile seaking esc

Check out hobbyking they have turnigy 60amp esc ( $56 US )same as seaking probably the same company produces them. I have 2 of them they have a low voltage though can't go more than 14.4V kinda like a traxxas esc. They seem to work okay in my lower voltage applications. Wake

Thanks for the input wake, another user has mentioned hobbyking as well.

I was just looking last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Meniscus View Post
    Thanks for the input wake, another user has mentioned hobbyking as well.

I was just looking last night.
    I have been experimenting with a 60 amp Mystery esc in a shockwave 26 with super v motor and 2s2p4800 lipos. $25 shipped on Ebay. Have not water cooled the esc yet and have not measured more than 109 degrees. You will need a separate battery for your receiver so plan on extra space and more weight...

So, how about the Mystery esc's? Anyone have a sound bite for this "Twinkle, twinkle, little star" tune that I hear so much about? LOL!

For safty sake buy a mystery with 2x the amperage you think you will need...
    Twin cat 9xl,... 29 titan 8xl,....37 in mono kb48 8xl.... 42 in twin elc cat project... 42 in gasser cat 260 modded zenoh''' planes and trucks....

I agree with Lonewolf spend the money and buy a quality esc . Hextronic at hobbyking is a good start 120 amp, their practically bulletproof. But if ya want to save cash you can go with mystery brand and take your chances. The worst thing that can happen with a mystery is that you'll have a good fire started to roast marshmallows over when and if you get your boat to shore..... LMAO.... Bottom line you get what you pay for nowdays. If your not sure about the mystery series esc there's a couple of aussies on You-tube that can show pics of what a cheap mystery esc can do to the interior of your boat. ( Cajun STYLE) lol
    Last edited by nothingbutwake; 10-01-2008 at 07:30 PM.
    PACIFIC NORTHWEST LIQUID INSANITY BOYZ!!

Thanks for your take wake, that is the direction I'm going when I get the funds together. Meanwhile, someone has been kind enough to loan me an ESC until I get something else.

And for the record, while the rigger measures somewhere around 18", this is a very light build. All structure is 1/32 ply. I'm still working out the motor mount though and I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to have to do to make that happen.

Thank you to everyone for your valuable input. I really appreciate it.