Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Revo questions

Default Revo questions

At the risk of being labelled a hater I'm going to re-enter the dangerous world of Revo battery discussion.

Okay start
    here

This states that a Silver label 4s pack is 15.1v. Rendering it more voltage than is legal for a NAMBA 4s class.

Now try this one
    here

That's a link to he data sheet on the Silver Label Lipo batteries. Page 2 claims 3.8v nominal voltage. Oky doky. Again, not legal per NAMBA 28 A.3.ii. 3.7volts nominal.

Here's another link for ya.
    here

Take a close look at the photo provided in this for sale thread. Notice anything unusual? Can someone explain to me why the label on "brand new" cells does not correspond to the Revo sale page and/or their data sheets?

Which one is the lie? The label or the data sheet?
    Noisy person

I was scratching my head yesterday trying to decide whether or not to give them a try because of all that crap..

The Revo website really requires an overhaul as its got to be the most confusing one ever for LiPos...to many "labels", pictures that don't match the descriptions...its a mess.

Maybe someone on here that knows the Revo guy can suggest he get his act (website) together.

I just hope they are good batteries.

Not trying to start trouble but perhaps someone in the know can shed some light on a 70c packs with 65C inner labels. That question was never answered on the revolectrix thread.
    RevoJohn ??

[/QUOTE]
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    Not trying to start trouble but perhaps someone in the know can shed some light on a 70c packs with 65C inner labels. That question was never answered on the revolectrix thread.
    RevoJohn ??

[/QUOTE]

Maybe the inner labels were printed incorrectly.

Who cares... If ya like em use em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Besides, it's a difference of 5c.
    It's not like that company that advertised there's at over 100c, then puffed in a ul-1.
    That's what I would call an issue.
    This? Not so much

There's a hole at the center of earth where the rest of the world sinks but i stand still...

Maybe the inner labels were printed incorrectly.

Who cares... If ya like em use em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I care, anyone that plans on making a purchase should care. The question was never answered.

Is it a difference of 5c? How do you know?

Do you have the answer? If not, please find something better to do with your time.

Thank you sir and have a nice day!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

I'll shed some light on this guys:

Maybe using a sticker to determine whether a battery is legal or not was a bad idea.

It's been said more times than I can count that these lipos are technically 3.7v nominal just like everything else. The 3.8v label was just used as a designation on these cells because they CAN be charged higher than 4.2v.
    This is not new information.

Huh....
    Ok then.
    Guess I'm not welcome to comment....
    Bye

RevoJohn ??

[/QUOTE]

What I read somewhere was (can't remember where) that the cells are originally 3.7v nominal cells but have a special coating applied to the chemicals in the cell that allow it to be charged safely to a higher voltage. When you add the extra voltage it adds the extra 500mah capacity. That's what I remember reading somewhere. I dunno.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Their data sheets say they are 3.8volt nominal. Their sale pages say they are 3.775 volts nominal. Their marketing plan is to sell them as "HV"...........but who cares really? Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain fellas.

The cells don't match their labels. Their labels don't match their data sheets or their marketing plan. Um.......they're 3.7v with fancy layering....................honest................ ........you can trust us.

With all the hints about integrity and accusations that Revos are being kept out of racing for selfish reasons........well this just pisses me off entirely.

By all means, ya like em, run em. I get that. Run what works. But don't bring them to a race. Not when others are running within the limitations of the rules. If you are going to race, read the rules of the organization under which you intend to race. Then purchase equipment based on your understanding of those rules. How any can know what Revo will sell them is an absolute mystery to me. Nobody knows with any certainty what these are. All we have to go on is the miss matched information from the distributor laced with some user testimonials.
    Noisy person

I just hope they are decent batteries.....

[QUOTE=Doug Smock;620110]Not trying to start trouble but perhaps someone in the know can shed some light on a 70c packs with 65C inner labels. That question was never answered on the revolectrix thread.
    RevoJohn ??

Doug, its a well know fact that every time you remove a layer of heat-shrink, you have to de-rate cells by 5C.

I would have thought you of all people would know that. You disappoint me.

Terry, the seller of the batteries I bought will be dropping them off at your workplace as he lives close by...please try not to burst into flames when you touch them

If I were a racer , I would care.
    Now I am not a racer, but I care for different reasons. With all the attention that this brand has received, I wanted to give it a try too. I was quite surprised to see the packs on the F/S thread with a different voltage printed on its label. Not that labels mean everything, but when I spend $300, I like to know what I am getting at especially something that had made a positive impression from fellow users. If these cells are technically 3.7 cells but with the ability to handle higher than 4.2v charged, then the 15.1v on the label makes sense . The cells I saw yesterday was labeled at 14.8v as opposed to 15.1v on the site, so here is my question: which came first? The 14.8v label or the 15.1v label. I ask because the last time I checked their site I don't recall such discrepancy. Has the maker decided to use 14.8v to reduce confusion since most chargers in use today can only charge to 4.2v? Or has there been re-formulation of cell chemistry? Assuming the packs being sold yesterday are newer than what is photographed on the site.
    Bottom line for me is this, if I am looking for something "extra" as these are being lauded, then upon seeing the label we saw yesterday, I don't think I will left click my mouse to "buy", not right away anyway. Label should not mean everything but it should not bring confusion/contradiction.
    I apologize for the long paragraph, being concise is not within my capability...
    Too many boats, not enough time...

I'll report on them when I run them...they will be going against the baseline batteries for my 4S setups, Turnigy 30C 5800 packs. Don't laugh, I've used these for years and they have been pretty bulletproof for me.

As the Revos are 4200, 70C =approx 290Amps and the Turnigys are 5800, 30C= approx 170amps, then in theory the Revos should outperform them. It will be interesting to see ....Revos about $80ish and the $Turnigy's around $52ish

As the Revos I just bought are new, and I just got some new Turnigys, then its close enough for me to be an apple to apple comparison. Although spec wise (if you can believe them) and dollar wise...the Revos had better come out on top as they are clearly supposed to be the bigger apple already.

Don't like my math or reasoning for comparisons, tough....do your own.

Also, do not take any of my comments as being anything negative about the seller I bought these from. He was just selling what he bought.

I am by no means being negative here either, I just don't remember the site had that discrepancy before.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Ok so if someone turned up and raced with revos that were charged to 4.2v/cell, and from previous threads if I am correct, I recall that you have maximum charged voltages in NAMPBA of 4.23v/cell, would they be illegal? And would you turn away someone who had got keen on racing over that? Regardless of stickers on things, what is best in the big picture? What happens when hv lipos become the norm? Are you going to do the whole 'we don't want those things?' It is inevitable that this technology will continue to evolve and improve, just like lipos when they came on the market, brushless systems and how many other things.

Previously last year RevoJohn did answer the question of nominal voltage, and most of you all read and commented on those threads. For my experience, I have gone from Turnigy blues and nanos to revos, price and availability were the main factors as well as good reports. I cannot say definitively if they are so much better but they are working well for me so far. Also mistakes do happen in the manufacturing process as I found out. Two 2s 5500 70c silver packs came with 14g wires. I contacted RevoJohn and he sent me two more packs no charge. That sort of product backup is gold.

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers here but just ensure that those that read these threads get a full perspective and can make for themselves well informed decisions. I would suggest that if any do have specific questions that they perhaps PM RevoJohn and ask, or contact Revolectrix through their website. Find out what you need to know first and then make your decision. Simple stuff guys.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by tlandauer View Post
    I am by no means being negative here either, I just don't remember the site had that discrepancy before.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
    Agreed...if they want to sell a product then their information should be consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    Ok so if someone turned up and raced with revos that were charged to 4.2v/cell, and from previous threads if I am correct, I recall that you have maximum charged voltages in NAMPBA of 4.23v/cell, would they be illegal? And would you turn away someone who had got keen on racing over that? Regardless of stickers on things, what is best in the big picture?
    I would hope common sense would prevail...

Besides, NAMBA lists 15V (3.75V/cell if you do the math) as the max for P classes, I would think that if I can measure my pack and show it to be below that on race day, then I should be good to go....but this may be a topic for another time.

Anyone running Revo's are welcome to race at our venue. We won't turn anyone away.
    Doug Peterson
    IMPBA 19993
    www.badgerboaters.com

The Revos are legal in the IMBPA if not charged above 4.23 v/cell. Yes anything above 4.23 v/cell would draw a DQ.

A NAMBA max voltage proposal is to be in the April Propwash. Teching prior to a SAW or two lap is in there as well.
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...A-FE-Proposals
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 03-26-2015 at 08:48 PM.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

The Revos are legal in the IMBPA if not charged above 4.23 v/cell. Yes anything above 4.23 v/cell would draw a DQ.
    Now that makes sense to me.
    Noisy person

I assume NAMBA would use some common sense as well???

There is no reason I can give for my Whip 40 being able to keep up with the pack, starting from the back using a TP motor, SF200 Pro 8S esc and only 3 test runs before a race other than the batteries. I had no idea that the boat was going to be as fast as it was with 1250kv and propping down to M447 from a D/T 455.
    The ones I have rock and roll and I would buy them again in a heart beat. They remind me of the first lipos I ran in an RC boat about 8 years ago.
    I bought Diamond packs for no other reason than Diamonds seemed tougher than Silver, lol...

The Silver series should rock out just as well, I'm sure. About legalities in racing, well, I can't afford a charger that goes past 4.2V/cell and from the performance I got, I wouldn't want to charge them higher, it would shorten their life span yes? no? I bought them not just to see how well they hold voltage under load, I also got them to see how well they store over long northern winters. We shall see.

Silver are supposed to be better than my diamonds so, who knows until we hit the water soon.

I never broke the cells in either, I just ran the snot out of them from the get go. I did that with a set of Dinogy and now they are as good as any of my HK 30-40C batts.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Ray...you cheated!!!! No wonder your boat was so fast!!!! Bad fellow Canadian.....Using evil batteries at the Nats.

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    I assume NAMBA would use some common sense as well???
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...A-FE-Proposals
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Link seems to be NFG Dougee...

From a non-technical point, I failed completely to grasp/understand the heated discussion during the last round. I had always thought what Doug Smock said should prevail: If not charged beyond 4.23v/cell, the racer should be allowed to race. Now, I understand my statement will beg from some people. But I suspect I am not the only one to think and interpret this along these lines. I am just dumb enough to "expose" myself in front of an expert crowd so to speak.
    Yes, I realize and haven't forgotten the infamous term "Nominal Voltage"

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Link seems to be NFG Dougee...
    It's working now.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Winning part of h–voltage packs is not how much you can overcharge them, is higher voltage under load. Simply more layers inside .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast