Thread: NAMBA SAW March 20,21,22

Default NAMBA SAW March 20,21,22

Day One, Friday. Lots of test/tune and midday wind cut things short.

First run in the morning with smooth water sets record : Martin Truex Jr. (NASCAR Chevy SS #78)

A Hydro - (unofficial) :110.xxxmph

Mr Truex (yes that's him in the car):
    march saws day one002.jpg

Some random shots while we were waking up & waiting for the lights

Jim
    march saws day one005.jpg

pit row
    march saws day one006.jpg

My pit. Notice the Speky I had to borrow from Darin. At 6:30 a.m thirty miles from home, going 3 miles an hour in morning commuter traffic I realized I forgot to pack my xmttr.

march saws day one009.jpg

Darin and Tyler. Tyler earned that smile by setting the world's fasted FE record last November

march saws day one012.jpg
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Darin looks like he wants to wipe that smile off Tyler's face.......

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    Darin looks like he wants to wipe that smile off Tyler's face.......
    It's been four months now and he hasn't stopped smiling. Some of us have grown concerned
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...p?albumid=1305

Pics of Sundays events. Nice to have met you Darrin! Great job guys! It was fun!

Default Some Pictures from Saturday

Still sorting/uploading vids. I didn't record the records - Darin and/or Tyler should have them
    Some random photos :

Brian B brought two 1/10 scales - modern & vintage. They rocked some new records

100_0565.jpg100_0564.jpg

Tyler hit the brakes too hard at 135+mph

100_0575.jpg

Pitting with Darin on Saturday(my EZ-Up/table/chair took a walk Friday night)
    100_0576.jpg

Jesse and his Lady came to visit & try some passes

100_0577.jpg

more next post

Default More random pix

Darin ( Mr. FOCUS)

100_0578.jpg

Some of Brian N.'s cats

100_0582.jpg 100_0583.jpg

Mr. Truex (NASCAR #78) & Brian N.
    100_0589.jpg

SAW record water comes only at small intervals. Requires mastering the Oriental art of Wai - Ting
    100_0591.jpg

The official results from this weekends SAW's at Legg Lake:

Martin Truex Jr. A hydro 110.91mph
    Darin Jordan P-Ltd Tunnel 65.82mph
    Brian Buaas 1/10 Scale Modern 68.09mph
    Brian Buaas 1/10 Scale Vintage 63.22mph
    Tyler Garrard Q hydro 129.64mph

Mark Grim also set a GX-2 Sport hydro record, but I did not get the speed from the form.

See you guys in November.

Tyler
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Well... after a long weekend, and a really long drive home, I've spend the last two days sick in bed...

BUT, it was another fun SAW event. Small attendance, without some of the usual suspects, but that just meant more time on the water for those that did show!

Brian Buaas, as usual, ripped up the course with the two 1/10th scales he brought. The records are pretty impressive, and now we know there is quite a bit more there to be had (and no, I won't reveal why we know that... you'll just have to show up next time and find out!)...

20150321_073301.jpg
    20150321_073322.jpg

Tyler, of course, completely shattered his old Q-Hydro mark, which is always fun to watch. He definitely has the high-powered stuff figured out. I'll post some video of one of his runs shortly.

Brian Neal showed up with his collection and did a bunch of tuning/testing for the November event. From what I could tell, he's getting some things figured out, so watch out for him at the next event! Just add GLASS! (water, that is!!)

Very first runs of the weekend were done by Martin Truex, Jr. He threw his A-Hydro in (.21 Hydro) and made two passes, brought it back to shore for a quick tweaking, then made two more passes, breaking the existing record with a 110.xxx mph average! Pretty awesome!

20150320_085246.jpg

Tony Heller showed up with his trusty, and perhaps a little long in the tooth, 27" P-LTD Drifter, still chasing that magical 70mph average. This SAW stuff is exhausting...

20150320_123033.jpg

As for me... I made some passes with my 1-Cell Hydro with my old power system in it, just to shake down the boat. It worked perfectly. The package comes together for November so I'm excited to bring it out for that event. I think some cool things may occur!

Ran my Radtec Mystic 25" N2-Cat with the new Lehner power system in it and had a REALLY hard time harnessing that much power! After backing way down on props (X432), and making a successful set of 65mph passes with that, I started propping up and found out really quickly that there is going to be a LOT more tuning involved to get this setup where it needs to go. 80+ is the goal. Have the power and the hull, just need to tie the two together!

Brian loaned me his record prop for my Kris Flynn Dragon EA P-LTD OPC Tunnel, and I was able to up that records to 65.8mph. Earlier in the day, I did make one successful pass with one of my props of 73.xxx mph, but getting the boat fully on-step with that prop was a MAJOR task, and I couldn't seem to repeat it. THANK you BRIAN for the help. Now I'm hungry for more and will be working over some props of my own and tweaking this setup to hopefully be able to build a bit more speed into it.

With this record, however, it is kind of cool because I now have all three NAMBA P-LTD OPC records... 2-Lap, 6-Lap Heat Race, and now the SAW record. That's fun!

20150321_091033.jpg

Lots to do between now and November! THANK YOU to Mark and Kim Grim for ALL of the hard work you do for us SAW racers. Without you, these events would never be the same!
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Brian Buaas making a few successful 1/10th Scale Modern SAW record passes:

It was a great weekend. Lots of fun seeing old friends and playing with boats.

Life has been a bit chaotic around my place since last summer, so I gave up on getting my new P-hydro finished and called a friend to borrow a couple boats.

The pair of 1/10 boats I ran were built by John Earnest up in Battle Ground, WA. The '84 Oberto is out of my 8255 mold and the Supertest is the result of a design/teaching exercise. John has spent quite a few hours in my shop learning how to build plugs/molds. We sat down and designed the vintage hull using the old Les Ruggles plans as a starting point and modifying from there to get the best performance within the 1/10 vintage rules. John did the layup/assembly/paint on both hulls.

I didn't touch the struts on either boat, just working with props and balance.

I hope someone got video of the vintage boat run, it was picture perfect.

As a result of the weekend, with any luck, we'll have some new prop options for 1/10 scale in the near future.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

I captured one of the earlier passes. "Only" low-60's...

Last edited by Darin Jordan; 03-26-2015 at 11:39 PM.

We have GOT to figure out how to turn off that Aeration pump causing those ripples off that point!

I have vids but need to finish some jobs + D19 race Sunday. Will upload soon.........

scale time...ok..and cat

Quote Originally Posted by rayzerdesigns View Post
    scale time...ok..and cat
    N2-Cat needs more tuning and prop work. WAY more power than I anticipated! Did a couple about 65mph with a standard X432...

Congratulations fellas!

Is Martin just one of the boys or what? We were really impressed with him as a person, and a model boater. He's a class act!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Martin is definitely a class act guy. A great boater that hapens to have a fun day job although I get the impression it interferes with boating more than he would like.

Thanks to Nic Case for shooting and editing a video my Q hydro run.

My back up pass was a little off pace as the cable went dry at the start of the second pass. Good water and mudhens prevented a second try to get the record over 130mph average.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR