Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Kbb 34" mono build

Default Kbb 34" mono build

I've been wanting to build a mono for a little tougher water running. I also want to see how fast I can make one go. When I saw this hull I fell in love with its sleek looks. So I ordered one. Few days later it can in and I was super impressed with the quality of it. Now on to the goodies

Here's my components. I have everything except for the esc, it's on the way to me. Ordered it tonight

Motor: lehner 2260 (and after I see how fast we can go, I just bought a brand new 1527 1500kv from the ose store to make it more for sport running)
    Esc: mgm 25035-3 x2
    Servo: savox 0231
    Collet: mbp billet
    Flex: 3/16 aeromarine
    Hardware: 3/16 strut with carbon flood tube and separate rudder

Last edited by kfxguy; 03-18-2015 at 01:36 PM.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

First thing is first, we need an inlay done....

Last edited by kfxguy; 03-18-2015 at 01:45 PM.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Like every build I have seen from you, looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Van De Sande View Post
    Like every build I have seen from you, looks great!
    Thanks!

I decided I eanteda flood tube with a strut because I want height to be adjustable too and not just angle. Head on over to my lathe and make a end cap for the carbon tube.

The grooves are for the epoxy to grab better. Here it is assembled.

Last edited by kfxguy; 03-18-2015 at 02:07 PM.

Here's the 1527 that will end up in it.

And the lehner going in it for now the lehner is actually for my shocker but that will be a whole before I get to that.

Layout idea.

Last edited by kfxguy; 03-18-2015 at 02:08 PM.

Flood tube and aligning the motor

[URL="[URL=http://s218.photobucket.com/user/ltzguy/media/CD7D709A-7644-464F-8E45-193D26F7240E.jpg.html][/URL]"]"]"][URL=http://s218.photobucket.com/user/ltzguy/media/878EE9CB-264A-4DAC-9CF4-
    Last edited by kfxguy; 03-18-2015 at 06:05 PM.

Time to mount the motor using my old trusty mix of jb weld and graphite powder to darken it.

And this is where I'm at right now. Waiting on the esc before I move forward to make sure it all fits the way I want.

Last edited by kfxguy; 03-18-2015 at 06:08 PM.

You are going quick :) Keep it going!
    Where did you get the carbon tubing?
    Thanks!
    Roy

You are going quick :) Keep it going!
    Where did you get the carbon tubing?
    Thanks!
    Roy
    I have a few things i can do but i'm waiting on the esc to make the mount for it. I can work on the rear tho. I'm going to make a support for the front of the flood tube, then make a plate that goes over the flood tube that the servo, bec and receiver mount to. then a cover to go over those components. I have the software now to run my cnc router so i'll need to get up to speed on that here soon. That will help with cutting things out for sure. I got the tube from ebay, there a seller who specializes in it...its very nice tube. I'll get the seller for you sometime today.

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I'll get the seller for you sometime today.
    That would be nice! Thank you!

Sexy gal there..............6s2p?
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

What are you using to support the flooded tube to get get the angle lined up? I see some shavings.

Quote Originally Posted by rickwess View Post
    What are you using to support the flooded tube to get get the angle lined up? I see some shavings.
    The flood tube is mounted and aligned perfectly. You can't tell but the tube coming out the flood tube is slightly angled up. It will have a little triangle of carbon for support made of 3mm material. I am aware that the stuffing tube needs a bend in it and it does inside the flood tube. The shavings are fiberglass and carbon from when I was tweaking the hole. I guess I didn't get all the shavings out at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Make-a-Wake View Post
    Sexy gal there..............6s2p?
    To begin I will run it on 6s but I plan on pushing it up to 8s. I bought both motors with 8mm shafts to take the additional rpm. The lehner is in the 1600kv range. I plan on seeing just how fast I can go with this hull. Everything is purposely being mounted low for a low cg in an effort to help stability.

When you have run both motors you could compare them. I have had a lehner 3080/9 in a 45' mono on 12s2p but I didn't like it at all.
    I changed back to my old TP5850 600kv. Almost a full kilogram lighter but the TP has also way more torque and stays much cooler than the
    lehner. I run all my boats in oval racing, maybe this is a reason why the 800 dollalr lehner didn't performed the way I had expected. People often
    think lehner are some kind of wonder motors but they are not. They are just high quality 2 pole motors with all the advantages and disadvantages of
    the 2 pole design. In my opinion a 4+ pole motor is the better choice for almost 90% of all people out here. I am very curious to see what the limits are of your 34' mono! Keep us posted!
    Last edited by Roy Van De Sande; 03-18-2015 at 12:59 PM.

To begin I will run it on 6s but I plan on pushing it up to 8s. I bought both motors with 8mm shafts to take the additional rpm. The lehner is in the 1600kv range. I plan on seeing just how fast I can go with this hull. Everything is purposely being mounted low for a low cg in an effort to help stability.
    Forgot you were the high rpm guy

You think the Neu will outperform the Lehner?
    NEED PARALLEL CONNECTORS?? QUALITY 5.5MM, 8MM, 8 AND 10 AWG, GET THEM HERE: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...est!&highlight=

When you have run both motors you could compare them. I have had a lehner 3080/9 in a 45' mono on 12s2p but I didn't like it at all.
    I changed back to my old TP5850 600kv. Almost a full kilogram lighter but the TP has also way more torque and stays much cooler than the
    lehner. I run all my boats in oval racing, maybe this is a reason why the 800 dollalr lehner didn't performed the way I had expected. People often
    think lehner are some kind of wonder motors but they are not. They are just high quality 2 pole motors with all the advantages and disadvantages of
    the 2 pole design. In my opinion a 4+ pole motor is the better choice for almost 90% of all people out here. I am very curious to see what the limits are of your 34' mono! Keep us posted!
    I'll definately post videos a gps speeds as I go...

Forgot you were the high rpm guy

You think the Neu will outperform the Lehner?

I dunno. I've had plenty of neu motors and I like them but never run a lehner before but I know they are a powerful motor. The 2260 I have weighs a bit more than the 1527 so I'd be very surprised if the 1527 was more powerful. The cool thing about this is I'll be able to swap between the two very easily. I'll definatly have some comparison data but I'm not so sure that it would even be fair as the lehner is a higher kv and kv is rated under a load. I may only need 7s with the lehner to do what I want and 8s on the neu. I guess I'll find out soon. I'll be in the shop tonight working on it along with a cheetah and a Rivercat.

I'm guessin that 6s2p for the Lehner and 8s2p for the Neu would be real close, looking forward to your data, that will be very interesting!

I'm guessin that 6s2p for the Lehner and 8s2p for the Neu would be real close, looking forward to your data, that will be very interesting!
    Your probably right. The neu is really for a sport setup when I yank the lehner. I do plan on 8s with the lehner in my shocker tho!

On a side note....I will be doing some data logs on it so I'll be able to compare that too.

Very nice Brutha!

I always enjoy following your builds...Very nice work...

Thanks for sharing...

Aloha

I dunno. I've had plenty of neu motors and I like them but never run a lehner before but I know they are a powerful motor. The 2260 I have weighs a bit more than the 1527 so I'd be very surprised if the 1527 was more powerful. The cool thing about this is I'll be able to swap between the two very easily. I'll definatly have some comparison data but I'm not so sure that it would even be fair as the lehner is a higher kv and kv is rated under a load. I may only need 7s with the lehner to do what I want and 8s on the neu. I guess I'll find out soon. I'll be in the shop tonight working on it along with a cheetah and a Rivercat.

Don't forget to include the Daytona.

Is this hull just under the limit for P mono if you chose to race it sometime?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevesc View Post
    Don't forget to include the Daytona.
    Well I don't have a lake in my shop (wouldn't that be awesome lol) so there's not much to do to the Daytona except s/b some props (which I ordered two more that just shipped today). Lol

Is this hull just under the limit for P mono if you chose to race it sometime?
    I'm not sure but in my last thread it was mentioned that it was legal for p mono.

looking good travis,looks like you wont be short of power with either motor! Builds looking nice so far, I hope the hull performs well at high speed for you, I'm guessing it should be good to go given where it came from. Nice to see something different coming out of the kfx build shed. Does this make it 5 different builds in progress now?

Quote Originally Posted by Fella1340 View Post
    looking good travis,looks like you wont be short of power with either motor! Builds looking nice so far, I hope the hull performs well at high speed for you, I'm guessing it should be good to go given where it came from. Nice to see something different coming out of the kfx build shed. Does this make it 5 different builds in progress now?
    I think so, cheetah, 2 rivercats, mono and a few more that I haven't started yet

Roy, have you ran any other Lehner motors? 3080/9 on 12s lipo is a 25k RPM setup...not exactly playing to the strength of the 2 pole LMT design. I can see with your setup why you would prefer the 4 pole motor, but you might change your mind if you were using motors at higher RPM. I'm sure you weren't impressed by the 3080/9 on 12s, but I can say from experience that a 3080/7 on 14s is in a completely different world.

Some data from Lehner:

The power increase is proportional to the rpm. Make sure there is good cooling.
    Operating voltage x 2 = rpm x 2 = double power

Max power of the series 30xx motors:
    3040 50000 rpm ca. 12 kW (at ŋ / Pmax)
    3060 50000 rpm ca. 17 kW (at ŋ / Pmax)
    3080 50000 rpm ca. 30 kW (at ŋ / Pmax)

OP: Great looking build so far!

I like!
    Why are you bothering me? I want to see your boat!
    32" CF Rivercat--- built by "kfxguy" (SOLD)

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast